• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Coyotes Games to be Broadcast on Subchannel of KNXV and KGUN

The Coyotes have launched the Coyotes Central streaming service for Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico residents (per the on-air announcement during the game on Channel 61), overriding the removal of KASW by streaming providers like YouTube TV, as well as Dish Network. The service began with tonight's game vs Carolina. The bad news is that it's not free.

They're charging $11.99/month or $24.99 for the rest of the 2023-24 season. Next season's pricing is TBD.

Diamondbacks, you are now on the clock. Spring Training starts next week. Get an OTA and/or streaming deal done!

The Coyotes have launched the Coyotes Central streaming service for Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico residents (per the on-air announcement during the game on Channel 61), overriding the removal of KASW by streaming providers like YouTube TV, as well as Dish Network. The service began with tonight's game vs Carolina. The bad news is that it's not free.

They're charging $11.99/month or $24.99 for the rest of the 2023-24 season. Next season's pricing is TBD.

Diamondbacks, you are now on the clock. Spring Training starts next week. Get an OTA and/or streaming deal done!

All the Coyotes need to do now is to put a good team on the ice.

Next season's pricing is TBD.
Probably because the fate of the team is also TBD.🤔😖
And get a new arena.
In Salt Lake City?😒🫥

I feel for Coyotes fans, who have been through the wringer for over 15 years. At least Phoenix has an NHL team; I’m in Houston which has no hockey at any level despite being a huge media market.🤬 At least I can travel to Dallas to enjoy Stars games from time to time, as well as to Austin to see their AHL affiliate.

Probably because the fate of the team is also TBD.🤔😖
They're looking in far-north Phoenix, close enough to $nob$dale to glomm onto the money train without having to deal with their city government that has rejected them for 25 years. IMNSHO, they should stick with Mesa. The hockey fan base is in the Mesa/Gilbert/Tempe area, and it's still close enough to $nob$dale to get the rich $nob$ to buy $uite$.

To head off the negative comments about my feelings for $nob$dale, I despise that city with every fiber of my being. And I have personal reasons to do so. It's 100% dead to me.
In Salt Lake City?😒🫥

I feel for Coyotes fans, who have been through the wringer for over 15 years. At least Phoenix has an NHL team; I’m in Houston which has no hockey at any level despite being a huge media market.🤬 At least I can travel to Dallas to enjoy Stars games from time to time, as well as to Austin to see their AHL affiliate.
If they were to move anywhere, my guess is that it'd be to Houston or somewhere in Canada. That'll happen only as a last resort.

If they were to move anywhere, my guess is that it'd be to Houston or somewhere in Canada.
Unfortunately I’m not holding my breath on the team winding up here in Houston; SLC and Atlanta appear to have the upper hand. The NBA Rockets ownership has been at best tepid as far as interest in an NHL team, and it was indeed the Rockets previous owner that ran the AHL Aeros out of town in 2013.

If they were to move anywhere, my guess is that it'd be to Houston or somewhere in Canada. That'll happen only as a last resort.
I'm aware of only two Canadian possibilities; Hamilton, Ontario and Quebec City, Quebec.

The Maple Leafs will fight against Hamilton because they consider Hamilton part of their home territory. I don't know what issues QC might have other than they once had a very good team but lost it.

I'm aware of only two Canadian possibilities; Hamilton, Ontario and Quebec City, Quebec.

The Maple Leafs will fight against Hamilton because they consider Hamilton part of their home territory. I don't know what issues QC might have other than they once had a very good team but lost it.

QC is a very tiny market population wise. Seems like QC is the market of last resort if all else fails.

Unfortunately I’m not holding my breath on the team winding up here in Houston; SLC and Atlanta appear to have the upper hand.
I know this is off-topic, but how many chances will Atlanta get to fail at hockey? They lost the Flames (now in Calgary) and the Thrashers (now in Winnepeg). I keep hearing, "This time, it's different." But is it?

It was sad to see the misinformation campaign that doomed the Tempe project for the Coyotes. They deserve better.

I know this is off-topic, but how many chances will Atlanta get to fail at hockey? They lost the Flames (now in Calgary) and the Thrashers (now in Winnepeg). I keep hearing, "This time, it's different." But is it?
The original Atlanta Flames era was a long time ago, so perhaps not a fair comparison. They were one of only two NHL teams in the sunbelt at the time (LA Kings we’re the other) and the region was simply not ready for NHL hockey. Once the Flames’ new car smell wore off, attendance suffered.

The sunbelt issue was the reason why the original Houston Aeros weren’t part of the NHL-WHA merger. The NHL didn’t want to risk another failure. The Kings had struggled with attendance as well. Of course things have changed since then.

The Thrashers were victims of a new ownership group that had bought them along with the NBA Hawks and the Atlanta arena master lease. The group actually didn’t have any interest in owning the Thrashers and wanted them completely gone. The NHL had little choice but to send them to a willing owner in Winnipeg.

The new arena proposal in Forsyth County near Atlanta actually provides hope for hockey fans, as any new (or relocated) team would be the primary tenant, not being dumped on by an NBA team. It’s also in an area that has is likely to have plenty of hockey enthusiasts. Supporters also point to the apparent success of the Braves ballpark development north of Atlanta.
It was sad to see the misinformation campaign that doomed the Tempe project for the Coyotes. They deserve better.
Yeah, the NIMBYs really sank their teeth into that one. If the Coyotes ever do actually get a new arena in the Phoenix area I can see fans at the first game carrying signs saying “Hey Tempe, are you still enjoying your garbage dump?”🤣🤣🤣

Pehaps the best long term solution for hockey in Phoenix is to let the Coyotes go, then hope for a new expansion team in a few years that has solid ownership and a viable arena plan.

Pehaps the best long term solution for hockey in Phoenix is to let the Coyotes go, then hope for a new expansion team in a few years that has solid ownership and a viable arena plan.
When/if the Coyotes leave, there will never be another NHL franchise making Arizona their home. Bank on it.

When/if the Coyotes leave, there will never be another NHL franchise making Arizona their home. Bank on it.
Any future NHL team would need a centrally located arena that can properly accommodate hockey. Footprint Center is not suitable in its current configuration.

Phoenix has a long history of minor league hockey, and also had a WHA team in the 1970s. Wonder if the Tucson Roadrunners AHL team might move up the road?

I know it is likely outdated, but is Veterans Memorial Coliseum still used for anything?

Any future NHL team would need a centrally located arena that can properly accommodate hockey. Footprint Center is not suitable in its current configuration.
Neither is downtown Phoenix or anywhere else but the Southeast Valley. The hockey fan base in Phoenix centers on Mesa, where many of the residents are transplants from the Midwest or Canada. There's plenty of money in Gilbert and NE Mesa -- enough to support a hockey team. No need to go north to have a viable hockey franchise, especially when you've been told by "Moneytown" repeatedly that you are not welcome.
Phoenix has a long history of minor league hockey, and also had a WHA team in the 1970s. Wonder if the Tucson Roadrunners AHL team might move up the road?
There hasn't been minor league hockey in Phoenix in about 25 years. The Coyotes moved here from Winnipeg in 1996, pushing the Roadrunners out. There was a short-lived minor league team that played at what is now the Footprint Center a few years after that, but it didn't make it.
I know it is likely outdated, but is Veterans Memorial Coliseum still used for anything?
The State Fair. It's in an area most definitely not fitting the desired demo for the NHL. I'm surprised that the State Fair hasn't relocated. It's been in that location since before statehood, and it was bad 50 years ago.

Maybe he didn't think an NHL franchise would come to Phoenix, but in retrospect, Jerry Colangelo was shortsighted for not including a future hockey team when he enlisted architects to design what eventually became America West Arena (now Footprint Center).

Maybe he didn't think an NHL franchise would come to Phoenix, but in retrospect, Jerry Colangelo was shortsighted for not including a future hockey team when he enlisted architects to design what eventually became America West Arena (now Footprint Center).
Phoenix refused to repair the ice equipment and did a lousy job of maintaining the whole building as a whole. Nevertheless it used to be a great building to watch the old Phoenix Roadrunners.

Nevertheless it used to be a great building to watch the old Phoenix Roadrunners.
Five different incarnations of the Roadrunners played there: WHL, WHA, CHL, PHL, IHL.

The sixth incarnation of the Roadrunners (ECHL) played at what is now Footprint Center.

Seventh incarnation in the future?🤪

Five different incarnations of the Roadrunners played there: WHL, WHA, CHL, PHL, IHL.

The sixth incarnation of the Roadrunners (ECHL) played at what is now Footprint Center.

Seventh incarnation in the future?🤪
Technically the seventh incarnation of the Roadrunners is the Tucson Roadrunners of the AHL who play at the Tucson Convention Center.

Back
Top Bottom