• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Country Awards Beat GOP Dbate

When I first saw this on the schedule, I wondered who would win: The annual CMA Awards vs the third GOP debate. Same day and time. The generalization is that country fans are also GOP. But in this case: Music won over politics:

The debate would have given the CMAs a better fight if Trump had participated in it.

I skipped over most of the music but a lot of what I did hear was actually good.

The Jimmy Buffett tribute was the best part, musically. I also liked the jokes from the hosts.

"Fast Car" got several awards. I only heard a brief clip but it sounded good.

The Jimmy Buffett tribute was the best part, musically.

Jimmy actually won a CMA award 20 years ago for his duet with Alan Jackson. Margaritaville was recorded in a Nashville studio with Nashville musicians. Alan recorded Margaritaville on his covers album, and that led to him contacting Jimmy. Alan told him about a song he was about to record that had Jimmy's name in it, and Jimmy thought it was something he'd want to do. Jimmy recorded his part at his studio in Key West, and the rest is history.

The guitar player who shared the stage with Chesney was Mac McAnally, who toured with Jimmy for about 40 years. He won the CMA Musician of the Year award many times.

I skipped over most of the music but a lot of what I did hear was actually good.

The Jimmy Buffett tribute was the best part, musically. I also liked the jokes from the hosts.

"Fast Car" got several awards. I only heard a brief clip but it sounded good.
The pacing of the show left something to be desired. They packed all the uptempo songs into about a half hour around midway through -- Combs' current song, Stapleton's current song and Wilson's current single, all of which rocked pretty hard, especially Stapleton's "White Horse," which could pass for a deep cut on a Skynyrd album. Bookending the show with two gospel-tinged Jelly Roll tunes (one a Judds cover, the other sung with Wynonna herself) was a good idea, though, as it certainly seems that Nashville has something in this reformed drug dealer who sings so passionately about his own life and wants to make a multi-genre star out of him. Of course, he's been a persistent, if relatively minor, presence in rock and hip-hop for about a decade, but what's happening to him now dwarfs all that. I just hope he can stay on the straight and narrow. Going all in on a star with a past like his comes with major risk.

The pacing of the show left something to be desired. They packed all the uptempo songs into about a half hour around midway through -- Combs' current song, Stapleton's current song and Wilson's current single, all of which rocked pretty hard, especially Stapleton's "White Horse," which could pass for a deep cut on a Skynyrd album. Bookending the show with two gospel-tinged Jelly Roll tunes (one a Judds cover, the other sung with Wynonna herself) was a good idea, though, as it certainly seems that Nashville has something in this reformed drug dealer who sings so passionately about his own life and wants to make a multi-genre star out of him. Of course, he's been a persistent, if relatively minor, presence in rock and hip-hop for about a decade, but what's happening to him now dwarfs all that. I just hope he can stay on the straight and narrow. Going all in on a star with a past like his comes with major risk.
I skipped over Stapleton, Wilson and Jelly Roll.

When I first saw this on the schedule, I wondered who would win: The annual CMA Awards vs the third GOP debate. Same day and time. The generalization is that country fans are also GOP. But in the 18-49 demo: Music won over politics:

I wish we had GIF images to add to our replies as this should be a surprise to....NO ONE :) lol

Seriously, the Republican Party is nothing but A CLOWN SHOW these days since being hijacked by Trump & with their debates looking more and more like paodies of Days Of Our Lives than actual debates :rolleyes: 🙄

Seriously, the Republican Party is nothing but A CLOWN SHOW these days since being hijacked by Trump & with their debates looking more and more like paodies of Days Of Our Lives than actual debates :rolleyes: 🙄
Yeah, because the Republican Party was so much more well rounded and sensible under the steady, intelligent guidance of Dubya, and his "read my lips" daddy before that.

It's long been a "clown show" anywhere near the elephant. You can't lay that on the Trump Tower doorstep.

Going all in on a star with a past like his comes with major risk.

He's actually making more money now in music than he was dealing drugs. He owns his music, he headlines his shows, he writes everything, so he knows what's at stake. I saw a story where he tried to buy a house in an exclusive gated community where a lot of country stars live. He was turned down by the HOA because he had been a convict. But he has way too much money now to break the law.

Back
Top Bottom