• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could a Part 15 get Sports games?

What about maybe using a high-end receiver (Drake, Collins, Icom, Perseus, etc) and a good receive antenna setup (maybe a double-wave beverage, 30+-foot-per-side tuned loop, or some combination that combines excellent sensitivity and directivity) to pull in the games "over the air" and rebroadcast the audio on the p15? I would think a good setup should be able to get a clear signal 24/7 on a station broadcasting the games, even if a normal consumer radio like a CCR, GE SR3, Sangean PR-D5, etc, would get nothing but static, and/or there was a local a few blocks away on the same frequency (including class C or a local class A, as long as it's not within a few degrees of the same heading) or adjacent channel. Or is there no over-the-air source available even to a very good receive setup to rebroadcast?

That would be illegal. Usually at the end of every game they state it can not be rebroadcast in any way without the express written consent of their company or NFL or whatever.

Liberty is right. You can't rebroadcast ANY type of programming without having permission to air it first.

Hey Phils, I'm curious, what station do you have? Where does it broadcast?

Radiofan101 said:
Liberty is right. You can't rebroadcast ANY type of programming without having permission to air it first.

Hey Phils, I'm curious, what station do you have? Where does it broadcast?

I play Rock and Country music. It broadcasts in a Philadelphia suburb and covers about 4 houses (including mine)

Fox Sports Radio and Sporting New Radio will work with Part 15 stations. Contact them.

Don't expect any pennies for running the spots that you'll carry if you rebroadcast.
It would be fun to send a bill to some of the sponsor accounts, though.

If you really dislike the sponsor, you might want to use the time they paid for to say bad things about the
company.

Heck, if you REALLY dislike Fox, you could run their content and still spend a lot of the time badmouthing
the Fox network.

Hey Phil,

I've been wanting to have my own Part 15 All Sports station for sometime.

Yea, you gotta have live games. But you also need some talk to fill the time.

Thats what I think.

Well.. If you want to do it legal, have someone announce the play-by-play while watching the game.
If the legality is not of particular concern to you, - and/or, if you assume that the powers that be have no concern about your flea signal rebroadcasting - then go ahead and rebroadcast.

But there's some validity in the phrase "never assume".

Personally, I think if your broadcast range is only within a few blocks, I seriously doubt there's anything to be concerned about.. call it a victimless crime.
- But as for the letter of the law, you are not permitted to do it. And if you do it anyway, you risk steep fines.. they might confiscate your equipment and take your house. Your wife and kids would be out on the street, and you would go to prison. Your kids will get hooked on drugs and steal a police car.

OMG Don't do it. It's just too risky

Here's a thought..

Perhaps a local area high school that doesn't normally have their games broadcast would be willing to work with you. If you, or someone from the school, is able to do the play-by-play, that will make things a bit easier. You could operate in a similar manner to the flagship stations for bigger schools, since it will originate with you.

Perhaps between you and the school, you can even find a sponsor or two. Even if you don't, find some PSAs or per-inquiry spots to play. Then run breaks just like the "real" guys. It will bring a professionalism to your sound during natural breaks and time-outs in the games.

Best way to initiate something like this is to search out smaller schools that don't have their games broadcast, but would like to, or are at least open to the idea.

Yes, it can be done. But it will take some work to get there.

Since I'm personally not too much into sports, I haven't pursued this type of programming. But, during a stint as manager of an AM daytimer, I did run some games for a local Christian school that ordinarily did not have their games broadcast. They provided the feed to the station and the play by play announcer. We sold some spots and filled the other breaks with PSAs. The school bought a $600 flight outside of the games the following spring during enrollment time.

phils07 said:
William C. Walker said:
Fox Sports Radio and Sporting New Radio will work with Part 15 stations. Contact them.

I don't want to run Sports talk, I want to run live play-by-play.
If you're interested in live play-by-play you'll want to contact the sports teams directly to find out who produces their radio broadcasts. For some teams, this will be a local radio station and they'll usually be friendly about allowing a Part 15 to rebroadcast their station.

I worked at a station that both produced sports play-by-play programming, affiliated other stations that produced play-by-play programming, and affiliated specific sports team producers. The sports team producers were the worst to work with, but if it was produced by another radio station it was always awesome. We provided our programming to local websites and out of town teams primarily a basic handshake barter agreement.

Phil, come on; - It would be YOU reporting something in YOUR own words as it occurs while YOU are witnessing it.
That means you are broadcasting your own material.
So Yes, you can simulcast on your station and you wouldn't be breaking any laws and you are not required to get any permission to do it.

Just keep the volume down on your tv as your giving your play by play, and you won't be infringing on anybody..

Oh, good. I thought it'd be like how Fox and CBS does it with sports and how they use their own announcers and production crew and how they need to win rights to get sports.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom