• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could a Classic Country format work in Toledo?

Howard Dean

Inactive
Inactive User
K-100 is the top dog and has been for a long time and there are many other country stations in the area you can pick up like: WCKY,WQTE,WWWW,WYCD(at times). However they all sound about the same. Oldies type formats seem to do well in Toledo and Toledo is pretty blue collar. I'm kinda surprised a country gold format has never been tried(in recent times). Cumulus idealy could put it on a lower powered signal(or poor performing) and sell it with K-100, i.e 106.5fm 0r 983fm. That would pretty much choke off WCKY.

Target demo is too old for agency buys. Talking 35 plus.

WRQN is starting to have sales issues. They've been fairing better than most "oldies" stations, but are starting to feel it.

Add 100.9 "Coast Country" to the country list of "all sounding the same" ::)

nightfly61 said:
Add 100.9 "Coast Country" to the country list of "all sounding the same" ::)

K100 and 100.9 The Coast are markedly different as far as music. Listen for 2 quarter hours and you'll hear it.

K100 is 70-75% gold. The rest being current and re-currents.

Toledo is historically a blue collar town. It may or may not work depending on listeners who may be disgruntled with repeats and sound alike cookie cutters on "new country" formats.

In Dayton there is s classic country mini network based out of Xenia (WBZI Xenia,WKFI in Wilmington and WEDI Eaton...all daytime only AMs) located within a half hour drive of downtown Dayton...which seems to be doing quite well...some new country is soft pedaled but main focus is on bluegreass and 1960s/70s country oldies..It's a unique sound...locally owned and still uses live personalities...and owned by Joe Mullins,a bluegrass musician.

http://www.myclassiccountry.com

You just said it, Toledo is a blue collar town. I know, I live in the Toledo area and have all my life. I'm actually shocked it hasnt been done. K-100 has been 1# for how many years? It seems to me that a country gold on another signal would Sell VERY well. Maybe add a little more Country gold into the K-100 playlist, take 106.5(or 94.5) hot new country. You would of course have to be careful not to make them sound too similar.

The Xenia station is a three station simulcast spread over 3 unique marketing areas. All AM stations and all daytimers. Because a good deal of the sales are local direct, it has been enough to keep them going, and good for them.

Classic Country, when done right, can be somewhat effective as a niche format to protect a sister mainstream country. But, as a standalone, in most areas it is not a viable format as the demos tend to be largely 55 plus, which means you might sell a local car dealer, but you'll get no agency buys.

Also, too...some programmers who try it play way too many titles, go way too deep and play songs which may have been legitimate hits when they came out, but are big "stiffs" today.

Howard Dean said:
You just said it, Toledo is a blue collar town. I know, I live in the Toledo area and have all my life. I'm actually shocked it hasnt been done. K-100 has been 1# for how many years? It seems to me that a country gold on another signal would Sell VERY well. Maybe add a little more Country gold into the K-100 playlist, take 106.5(or 94.5) hot new country. You would of course have to be careful not to make them sound too similar.

Cleveland is as blue-collar as Toledo, just 4 times bigger. Yet only one country outlet in WGAR/99.5. Which plays more currents than K100.

Yes WQMX/Akron gets into Cleveland, but rule of thumb one doesn't "tune down" to a smaller market, ie Clevelanders listening to an Akron station, regardless of how good it is (and WQMX is very good).

Cleveland is blue-collar. One country outlet. No classic country. Why?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom