• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Coronavirus Leads To WUMR Signing Off Prior To Move To New Nonprofit

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...r-signing-off-prior-to-move-to-new-nonprofit/

In light of the unprecedented coronavirus situation, WUMR 91.7 The Jazz Lover will discontinue broadcast operations before 4/1/2020. In the very near future, we look forward to resuming broadcasting through the new partnership between University of Memphis, Crosstown Concourse and The Daily Memphian.

We are excited to build upon WUMR’s outstanding legacy as we join forces to expand the station’s music, culture and news content. We want to thank everyone who has contributed to the station since its inception in 1974 and will keep you informed about developments, as we strive to create further opportunities for University of Memphis students and the wider community to engage with the station.

Also in the article WUMR became WYXR

I was just about to post this

I understand, because this was going to happen anyway, but I feel for the staff at WUMR, particularly Malvin Massey, who has never had the support he and his team deserved from the University. Now, the station that will eventually drive WEVL off the air can be built and launched. And WEVL has no one to blame but their leadership and board, who has steadfastly refused to evolve.

Why can't they both coexist? They seem to aim at different audiences.

They DID, when WUMR was in existence. However, the newer WYXR will be more of a hodgepodge and similar to WEVL, only with news. Think of it as an NPR station without NPR and closer to WEVL than the Jazz Lover was. And, having the U of M, the Daiuly Memphian and Crosstown Concourse as partners, there will be more resources than WEVL has, due to the station's refusal to evolve.

Another interesting WUMR piece

This Current story from today indicates that the U of M lost $121K on the station, which is another reason they looked for a partnership:

https://current.org/2020/04/coronavirus-prolongs-temporary-shutdown-of-memphis-jazz-station/

"Financial records show the university spent over $121,000 on WUMR in fiscal year 2017, the most recent year of budget data available, which a yearlong review process determined was not financially sustainable. Rather than shut the station down, university leaders reached out to The Daily Memphian and Crosstown Concourse to create the new nonprofit and keep the music alive."

First I had heard that they were losing money, not enough donors.

"Financial records show the university spent over $121,000 on WUMR in fiscal year 2017

Most colleges assign a faculty member to oversee their radio stations. Don't know if that's the case here. The physical space in a college building, the tower, the utilities to run the operation could easily reach 6 figures. The lack of an organized fundraising system could also lead to lack of donors. The new consortium shares the risk and provides multiple platforms for fundraising.

WEVL has a loyal audience and donor base and programs that listeners have made part of their weekly habit for years.

I've heard WEVL was going to be in trouble due to everything from the Pig to WYPL playing music at night to some pirate station.

Sad thing is for the jazz audience who enjoyed WUMR. The Jazz Lover also had a loyal audience and now those listeners will no longer be served.

The Jazz Lover also had a loyal audience and now those listeners will no longer be served.

Maybe...just not as much. There have been other stations around the country that have made similar changes. I'd expect to still hear jazz at nights and weekends.

I use to hear WUMR playing in a lot of businesses during the day and knew people who listened all day at work. WQOX will probably be the main beneficiary of 91.7 going away.

I would hope that the Crosstown Concourse station would mix in blues with its jazz. WEVL doesn't have anything to worry about from that station or WYPL because WEVL has become too established with its donors and audience.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...points-executive-director-pd-ahead-of-launch/

WUMR is now known as WYXR

Ahead of its relaunch under the Crosstown Radio Partnership of the University of Memphis, The Daily Memphian and Crosstown Concourse, 91.7 WYXR Memphis (formerly Jazz WUMR) has made its first staffing appointments.

Robby Grant joins the station as Executive Director. Grant joins WYXR after a career in digital advertising most recently as Vice President of Development and Technology at Archer Malmo. Grant is also a member of many local music groups and recently performed as part of Mellotron Variations on NPR’s Tiny Desk concert series.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom