• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Consultants=Satan?

TheRover said:
If you an instinct, as some normal poeple really, actually do....about what is good music, whether it be Classical, Jazz, Country, or, Rock.... then you do not need a consultant to advise you on what to play and what not to play!!!

Wow, you know what's good for everybody? Get over yourself rover. I can hear it now: "Your listening to K-Rover, where I know what's good for you!"

I suppose that works if you're looking to cume listeners that only like what you think is "good music". That's MUCH easier than succumbing to the wishes of your audience! What do they know about what they like anyway?! ::)

Good luck, let me know how that works out for you.

You're a prime example of why music scheduling softwares were invented.

wangchung said:
TheRover said:
If you an instinct, as some normal poeple really, actually do....about what is good music, whether it be Classical, Jazz, Country, or, Rock.... then you do not need a consultant to advise you on what to play and what not to play!!!

Wow, you know what's good for everybody? Get over yourself rover. I can hear it now: "Your listening to K-Rover, where I know what's good for you!"

I suppose that works if you're looking to cume listeners that only like what you think is "good music". That's MUCH easier than succumbing to the wishes of your audience! What do they know about what they like anyway?! ::)

Good luck, let me know how that works out for you.

You're a prime example of why music scheduling softwares were invented.

Whatever... You are a prime example of why Satellite Radio took off... :-X

Excuse me, but a casualy observation here. Would be you saying:' "Your'e listening to wangchung, and I know what's good for you"

What's the difference?

Many Out-of-Town consultants seem arrogant just because of that statement. Out-of-Town consultants need to "listen" to locals to make their "magic" really work. A station consultant should be willing to learn as well as teach and preach. "Our Houston station went from 7th to 4th with this plan". Big deal. Even if it went to #1, it doesn't mean it will play in Peoria without locla flair and flavor.

amfmsw said:
Excuse me, but a casualy observation here. Would be you saying:' "Your'e listening to wangchung, and I know what's good for you"

What's the difference?

Many Out-of-Town consultants seem arrogant just because of that statement. Out-of-Town consultants need to "listen" to locals to make their "magic" really work. A station consultant should be willing to learn as well as teach and preach. "Our Houston station went from 7th to 4th with this plan". Big deal. Even if it went to #1, it doesn't mean it will play in Peoria without locla flair and flavor.

I agree! Read the entire thread will ya?

amfmsw said:
Out-of-Town consultants need to "listen" to locals to make their "magic" really work. A station consultant should be willing to learn as well as teach and preach.
"
If that were the case, we wouldn't be having this aurgument.
Listeners have turned into sheep.
Travel around the Northeast...it's all the same...radio stations might as well play the same songs, with a five minute break every ten minutes so they can interject their local humor, and news...it's that way with everything...drive on Rt. 28 in Salem, NH...it's the same as Rt 1 in Saugus, MA...as anywhere in NJ, NY, PA, etc...Home Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, repeat...oh look honey, they have the same stores as we do back home, and play the same music!

actually satan might make a good consultant..that would add, slayer, venom, deicide, morbid angel, warlock, more iron maiden, more black sabbath...yep I would listen more! ;D

It takes two to tango: A consultant to suggest the further homogenization of terrestrial radio and the management to carry through with the idea. Consultants only bare a portion of the responsibility for the gradual decay of the business we all know and (used to) love.

Unfortunately, listeners suffer from one very potent disease--they are human and thus they are fickle. Ask your average listener what they don't like about station x and you will invariably hear as answer number one: "They play the same songs all the time", to which the natural reaction is to expand the playlist and open up the library. What happens next? The ratings go down and then you ask the same listener why and you will invariably hear as answer number one: "They play too many obscure songs I've never heard of..." This is what happens when you over research and over analyze what 30 people in a room tell you. It would be so much simpler if everyone in radio universally programmed stations with wide playlist variety and light rotations, but that is fantasy land.

So, have consultants ruined the business? No, the business is loading up it's guns and shooting itself in the feet with many bullets--consultants are just one of those bullets.

Look, you either a have taste and sensibility for a certain kind of music or you do not.

Or, you are just a working robot, that has been programmed to like only certain songs.

I am not a Robot.

I have a taste for Rock Music. Not Pop music. Not Tom Petty Music, but Rock music.

So, to call something that's good "Obscure" is to divert the issue.

"Four Sticks" by Led Zeppelin, from their 4th album, is a great rock song. Only a "Robot" would call --that-- song obscure. That's not my opinion, that's a fact.

"The Crunge" is an obscure Led Zeppelin song.

"Royal Orleans" is an obscure Zeppelin song.

"Four Sticks" and "For Your Life" are easily accessible Rock songs by Led Zeppelin, and are not "Obscure". Unfamiliarity does not negate a good song. Unless you are a robot...And program for Robots..

And that's what Con-sultants get mixed up about each and every day... Facts... and Opinions.....

KMGX said:
It takes two to tango: A consultant to suggest the further homogenization of terrestrial radio and the management to carry through with the idea. Consultants only bare a portion of the responsibility for the gradual decay of the business we all know and (used to) love.

Unfortunately, listeners suffer from one very potent disease--they are human and thus they are fickle. Ask your average listener what they don't like about station x and you will invariably hear as answer number one: "They play the same songs all the time", to which the natural reaction is to expand the playlist and open up the library. What happens next? The ratings go down and then you ask the same listener why and you will invariably hear as answer number one: "They play too many obscure songs I've never heard of..." This is what happens when you over research and over analyze what 30 people in a room tell you. It would be so much simpler if everyone in radio universally programmed stations with wide playlist variety and light rotations, but that is fantasy land.

So, have consultants ruined the business? No, the business is loading up it's guns and shooting itself in the feet with many bullets--consultants are just one of those bullets.
The problem is not that they play too many songs that I am not familiar with, it's that they don't play enough of the songs I AM already familiar with! Radio used to turn their listeners on to new music. Now they seem afraid to do so! What changed, and when?

firepoint525 said:
The problem is not that they play too many songs that I am not familiar with, it's that they don't play enough of the songs I AM already familiar with! Radio used to turn their listeners on to new music. Now they seem afraid to do so! What changed, and when?

YES ! ! It is like "they" have the system on "Lockdown"... and now "new" music is going to get in, and, no "old" music is going to get out. From old, or new, artists.

Do you begin to see the "Prision" that we are in ?

Keeping in my, always, that we are talking about radio airwaves, that are toserve the Public Interest, but whose intent has been co-opted to a total servitude to stock market shareholders, and their interests. Radio, by it's very nature, and through MUSIC, can be liberating, or you can feel a strangling, a homoginizing effect. When that happens in the pervasive and sea-to-shining sea way that it has occured over all these many stations AND genres.... Then that is a travesty for the American music lover. And a boon to the "American" stockholders, and all of their "Great" Values.... Ha Ha Ha

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom