• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Commercial Free Hours

Two stations that go commercial free at the same time each weekday:
WKJY 98.3, from 9-11 AM.
WNSH 94.7, from 7:30-8:30 AM.

Anyone know of others?

Don't many/most AC stations do this nowadays?

Philly's WSIX 106.1 "The Breeze" is commercial free for 106 minutes beginning 8 AM.
Central NJ's WMGQ "Magic 98.3" is commercial free during morning and afternoon drive times.

But that just means they play more commercials the rest of the day.

Don't many/most AC stations do this nowadays?

But that just means they play more commercials the rest of the day.

Ah yes then 10-12 minute stop sets to make up for it... exactly what radio needs to stay relevant which almost reminds me of the good 'ole Stern days on terrestrial once he wrapped up (usually whenever he felt like and often close to 11am) <eyes rolling>. Its a gimmick that apparently still has a shelf life in todays PPM world apparently. Personally speaking, I would rather take a potty break during a commercial set than a song but that's just me!

Are DJs given a break to use the facilities? How do they manage to go do that and eat so quickly?

I'm reminded of a Billboard Radio convention sometime in the later 70's. They had a "hot seat" session for all attendees, where one radio figure would sit center stage and take questions.

The year I am remembering had Dan Ingram as guest. A kid from a college station asked, "Mr Ingram, what is the most important thing you have learned in your years in radio?"

Instantly, Ingram responded, "How to take a three-minute s--t".

Instantly, Ingram responded, "How to take a three-minute s--t".
Eons ago (around the time of dinosaurs...) it was also true that 5+ minute songs were the DJ's cue that they were taking a break.

Of some sort.

"So bye bye miss American Pie..."

When I worked at Kiss 100 in Phhila (now WRNB) they had something like a :50 or :52 minute commercial-free block.
Every hour. All 24 hours, 24/7/52.
Perhaps they didn't have enough sponsorship to worry about.

Kiss 100 changed general managers (and of course, automatically, dutifully, changed program directors -- par for the course). The new PD and I did not get along in the least. Sometimes I would play some 2:30 song to fill out the :50-minute guarantee and he got on my case. So I got on HIS case. 'What the (HECK) are these carts doing in the (flippin) studio if they're not desirable for airplay?
I gave the PD one day's notice and quit to go work the *next day* at their competitor -- the larger 'EZ-101.
As I suggested: Kiss 100 didn't have to worry about a spot load interfering with their vow of music.

Two stations that go commercial free at the same time each weekday:
WKJY 98.3, from 9-11 AM.
WNSH 94.7, from 7:30-8:30 AM.

Anyone know of others?

Met TV FM in Chicago are doing 87 minutes of music at 9 AM on Week Day mornings, I haven't heard them doing it

Speaking of Danbury, The Bull, one of their two Country stations, has 3 hour commercial free weekday mornings from 9 am-12 pm.
As they originate from two translators, they have a weaker signal than the city's other country station, WDBY, Kicks 105.5. So the commercial free hours are probably used as a tool by The Bull (107.3/97.9 FM) to peel away some listeners from them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom