• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Closest a Class B station was full static from it's transmitter? (outside not counting tunnels)

I can think of my local NYC class B stations non existent in parts of Franklin, NJ (Sussex) but it's 40 miles away. WSPK Poughkeepsie is non existent about 30 miles away from it's transmission site into many areas of Northeast New Jersey.

In Vancouver BC, there are class C FM signals that are immediately lost if you enter the shadow of Mount Cypress. There’s a major highway that carries traffic along the water that receives a blank FM dial (other than the distant signals that can be picked up). This is less than 20 miles away.

I can think of my local NYC class B stations non existent in parts of Franklin, NJ (Sussex) but it's 40 miles away. WSPK Poughkeepsie is non existent about 30 miles away from it's transmission site into many areas of Northeast New Jersey.
I can think of multiple cases where this happens from my travels. The rugged terrain around San Francisco is one place that comes immediately to mind.

In Vancouver BC, there are class C FM signals that are immediately lost if you enter the shadow of Mount Cypress.
Vancouver is another place that comes to mind as well. And then there's the tunnel south of town on B.C. route 99 that goes underwater just south of Steveston Highway. Reversible lanes and radio silence.

I can think of multiple cases where this happens from my travels. The rugged terrain around San Francisco is one place that comes immediately to mind.

Vancouver is another place that comes to mind as well. And then there's the tunnel south of town on B.C. route 99 that goes underwater just south of Steveston Highway. Reversible lanes and radio silence.
Ah yes, the George Massey Tunnel. I find it interesting that a leaky cable antenna was never installed in that tunnel, because it would be the perfect candidate for that type of technology. I’m not sure if all tunnels experience dropouts in signal, or if this characteristic of the George Massey due to it being underwater. Either way, it’s a bit eerie during the commuting hours.

If it's within the 54 dBu protected contour, this would be a good place for a booster. Translators are wiping out stations also within their 54 dBu protected contours, because of terrain and super translators at high HAAT on tall buildings and towers in large cities, and much lower HAAT stations from neighboring markets, even at high ERP.

Ah yes, the George Massey Tunnel. I find it interesting that a leaky cable antenna was never installed in that tunnel, because it would be the perfect candidate for that type of technology. I’m not sure if all tunnels experience dropouts in signal, or if this characteristic of the George Massey due to it being underwater. Either way, it’s a bit eerie during the commuting hours.
MASSEY Tunnel. Yes! I couldn't remember the name of it.

I can't speak to the other tunnels because my normal itinerary of customer visits was exclusively bridges.

For those unfamiliar, Vancouver is a city largely made up of peninsulas and islands connected by bridges and tunnels. A couple of miles north of the Massey tunnel, you encounter the Oak Stredet Bridge. A great spot for DX. Not because reception is any better there, but because you have plenty of time to surf the radio dial, due to usually being stuck in traffic for a while! It's always a good idea to pack a lunch. :)

Last edited:
I quite like the tunnel in Dublin, from the port under the city, it's about three miles long and as you enter a sign gives you a list of radio stations you can tune in during your journey - it's quite helpful given that when you enter the tunnel from the port, you've probably just arrived in town from the UK and don't have the local stations tuned in!

Apparently, they have recently upgraded the tunnel transmitter to carry all local stations, after a legal threat from a station owner whose station wasn't being carried in there. All bar one of the stations listed at the tunnel entrance previously was from one "well connected" owner, as per usual for Ireland:

Last edited:
MASSEY Tunnel. Yes! I couldn't remember the name of it.

I can't speak to the other tunnels because my normal itinerary of customer visits was exclusively bridges.

For those unfamiliar, Vancouver is a city largely made up of peninsulas and islands connected by bridges and tunnels. A couple of miles north of the Massey tunnel, you encounter the Oak Stredet Bridge. A great spot for DX. Not because reception is any better there, but because you have plenty of time to surf the radio dial, due to usually being stuck in traffic for a while! It's always a good idea to pack a lunch. :)
This city does seem to have a bit of a traffic problem. Being from Seattle, I thought I had already seen how bad traffic could be. Then I moved here, and realized how bad it *can* be when you have nothing but side streets moving traffic around the city. Probably not much of a problem back in the 80’s, but it’s a big problem in 2023. It leaves lots of time for scanning the radio dial though.

It’s actually a good spot to dx if you’re around the Massey tunnel (not inside of it). Many of the seattle stations will come in since it’s a fairly straight shot to the tower sites.

I quite like the tunnel in Dublin, from the port under the city, it's about three miles long and as you enter a sign gives you a list of radio stations you can tune in during your journey - it's quite helpful given that when you enter the tunnel from the port, you've probably just arrived in town from the UK and don't have the local stations tuned in!

Apparently, they have recently upgraded the tunnel transmitter to carry all local stations, after a legal threat from a station owner whose station wasn't being carried in there. All bar one of the stations listed at the tunnel entrance previously was from one "well connected" owner, as per usual for Ireland:

That’s a fantastic idea! If I’m not mistaken, the Detroit Windsor tunnel does something similar. I think the entire radio dial is silent inside other than WJR, which for some reason, broadcasts inside of the tunnel. Does anyone know if that’s true?

I'm not sure if WJR still does broadcast in the tunnel. CKLW did it in their Top 40 heyday. Then I think Ed Buterbaugh brought the idea to WJR when he crossed over to the states.

It’s actually a good spot to dx if you’re around the Massey tunnel (not inside of it). Many of the seattle stations will come in since it’s a fairly straight shot to the tower sites.
Yep...Most of the big signals from Seattle were in 24/7 at the Holiday Inn Iwhere I used to stay not far from the tunnel on Cambie Road, The reverse was also true. Several Vancouver signals 24/7 in and around Seattle. Even where I usually stayed south of town near the airport. The Puget sound saltwater path benefits signals going in both directions.

And I know ALL about Seattle traffic. I could make a list of being late for appointments to priove it! :)

One example being WCYQ, Oak Ridge (Knoxville) TN. I've followed it until just past the TN/GA/AL border, almost to Lexington KY and before a translator came on, Asheville NC

Yep...Most of the big signals from Seattle were in 24/7 at the Holiday Inn Iwhere I used to stay not far from the tunnel on Cambie Road, The reverse was also true. Several Vancouver signals 24/7 in and around Seattle. Even where I usually stayed south of town near the airport. The Puget sound saltwater path benefits signals going in both directions.

And I know ALL about Seattle traffic. I could make a list of being late for appointments to priove it! :)
You never want to trust I-5 or I-405 when you have somewhere to be, and need to be there fast! Still, I think that a freeway has some advantages over side streets though. It seems like less accidents would happen (in theory). I see many accidents on the roadways here. Mainly due to the fact that there’s no left turn lane most of the time. Yikes.

Near where I live now, I have a great line of sight south. I seem to be able to pick up most Seattle stations with ease (AM and FM). The “border blasters” aren’t a problem either. I can’t think of many examples of modern border blasters, but 1550 and 1600 certainly qualify.

I'm not sure if WJR still does broadcast in the tunnel. CKLW did it in their Top 40 heyday. Then I think Ed Buterbaugh brought the idea to WJR when he crossed over to the states.
Apparently CKLW DID have a leaky cable antenna operating in the Detroit-Windsor tunnel, however I'm pretty sure it was decommissioned decades ago. The last time I was in the tunnel (About 10 years ago) the only signal I was able to receive was an extremely weak WJR. Nothing else until you're several hundred feet from the entrance/exit at either end.

Apparently CKLW DID have a leaky cable antenna operating in the Detroit-Windsor tunnel, however I'm pretty sure it was decommissioned decades ago. The last time I was in the tunnel (About 10 years ago) the only signal I was able to receive was an extremely weak WJR. Nothing else until you're several hundred feet from the entrance/exit at either end.
Very interesting! I wonder why they decommissioned it? If I recall, there was even advertising near the tunnel to inform travelers that WJR can be heard throughout the tunnel.

One thing I’m curious about: when is a leaky cable actually required? I used work in an office where I parked my car five floors below ground. I was always surprised that I could hear AM and FM on level P5 of the garage. I was certain that there had to be some sort of leaky cable because there was so much land and concrete in the way.

Very interesting! I wonder why they decommissioned it? If I recall, there was even advertising near the tunnel to inform travelers that WJR can be heard throughout the tunnel.

One thing I’m curious about: when is a leaky cable actually required? I used work in an office where I parked my car five floors below ground. I was always surprised that I could hear AM and FM on level P5 of the garage. I was certain that there had to be some sort of leaky cable because there was so much land and concrete in the way.
From what I've read, leaky feeders are used extensively in "Underground" settings, i.e. mines, caves, etc. Nearly always at lower frequencies, as losses from the feedline itself would render any such system unusable at VHF/UHF with feeder lengths that can be hundreds of feet long. I've never been in a mine, so I've never seen a leaky feeder system employed in this capacity actually operate. However. I HAVE seen several TIS stations utilize radiating cable systems along roadways over the years. I once saw a temporary "Road construction" info TIS set up along a freeway with a radiating cable that appeared to run for several thousand feet along the right-of-way. Ive also never seen one in a parking garage, but anything's possible!

In fall 2021, 106.9 WOOD-FM was on low power and I managed to pick up 106.9 WLGE (class A in the same direction as WOOD) in the Grand Rapids area

Docket 80-90 and subsequent related rulings opened up many stations in shoreline areas around Lake Michigan in particular, allowing a lot of interference to stations on cochannels on the other side of Lake Michigan and other Lakes. Lake Huron, Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario are further complicated by the Agreement for FM allotments and stations between the US and Canada.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom