• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Clicks in Recordings

A couple things to try...

Can you test USB device on a different computer and see if you experience the same noise problem?

Do the pops and clicks go away when no mic is connected to pre-amp? Or if you connect a typical dynamic mic and turn of phantom power? (if that is an option on the device).

Thanks for those suggestions. It is a slow process for two reasons: (1) I'm covered up with being busy right now. I know! Aren't we all! I need to deliver a recording project, and deliver a tax return... PRONTO. (2) The clicks are really scattered out over a long time frame. Some times one click every 15 or 20 minutes. That means each test procedure takes a lot of time before the results are observable.

I did plug in a dynamic mic the other day just to remember the sound progression from where I started. Did not leave in in service long enough to know if clicks happen when it is in the circuit... but we will find out soon.

Maybe some random noise-and-clicks have always been there but not as noticeable. In the last 4 or 5 months I have completely changed the acoustics of the room and now I am doing some recordings where the "content" is much softer. (audio book narration). If the program content is low level, clicks that have always been there may just be more noticeable.

I am going to rummage through a couple of old hard drives looking for some things I recorded two or three years ago (or even longer ago than that) to see what I find when I know what I am looking for.

Just a wild off the wall thought, but I had similar nose problems in my program line which were cured with one of these:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=208

In my case the problem was inadequate line filtering on an STL & sporadic noise bursts coming in on the power line. A Corcom filter in line to the STL transmitter & that plugged into the line conditioner eliminated the noise. Have never figured out where the noise was coming from--suspect big HVAC plant for a neighboring church.

Also...

Where do you keep your cell phone? We are all familiar with the audible buzzing they can induce to a hot mic. But how about when the distance is a bit further away, I wonder...

I used a 4G usb modem in a piece of remote gear (brand will remain nameless). When it was running 4G the noise was loud, I could hear it in my headphones and if the sm58 was close enough it would get into that too. Then it went away, because the modem failed over to 3G...

Easy way to find out. Place your phone where it usually would be then start sending SMS messages from your PC to your phone, or run a data intensive app on your phone.

engdept said:
Where do you keep your cell phone? We are all familiar with the audible buzzing they can induce to a hot mic. But how about when the distance is a bit further away, I wonder...

Thank you. That is one possibility I had not included in my process of elimination.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom