• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Clear Channel Reorg: Any Impact on Oklahoma?

I've read several reports of Clear Channel changing the way its stations are run this week. With plans to turn many of them into skeletal operations with limited crew.

It seems OKC and Tulsa have avoided similar efforts by Clear Channel to cut with an ax in the past. Is the same true now?

Glenn Quagmire said:
I've read several reports of Clear Channel changing the way its stations are run this week. With plans to turn many of them into skeletal operations with limited crew.

It seems OKC and Tulsa have avoided similar efforts by Clear Channel to cut with an ax in the past. Is the same true now?

I can't speak for the OKC cluster, but Don Cristi is a formidable force in Tulsa. He's fought off efforts from San Antonio to downsize. The way it is, I think 90% of weekend shifts for CC Tulsa are voicetracked. That building is a ghost town on weekends. San Antonio will impose it's will and will ultimately get it's way, but DC will fight hard, and he is an intimidating man.

Yes. And Bill Hurley and Deric Nance have done an excellent job of putting enough $$$ on the books to where San Antonio might be less likely to mess with what works. If there's ever a finacial stuble, look for them to try more cutting here. OKC and Tulsa have far from been imune to the insanity (J-rod getting laid off right after he won OAB station of the year comes to mind), but I agree the Oklahoma clusters seem to have a lot less problems with cuts. Sadly, those that count beans in San Antonio really at times don't seem to have a good handle on what cuts will hurt them.

Read nothing about Tulsa or OKC included in these rounds today.

Tulsa has to be a ghost town. I can only name about 10 people that work on-air for Clear Channel in Tulsa weekdays. 106.1, 101.5, AM 1300 are run by robots/voice tracked.

I'd say that any more cuts in either cluster in Oklahoma would be cutting bone. Appearently Bill, Don, Tom, etc. have been pretty good at making sure corporate knows that as there haven't been cuts here so far in this round of insanity. As long as the money press keeps churning, they will more than likely let well enough alone here. Heaven help them if it ever stops printing at a high rate though...

I think they should let Jonathan for 106.1 go. He has made a mess of that station. What started as a good idea for a late 80's and 90's station he's turned into a mix station. I think the big problem is he's to young to program that format. I don't think he's even 30! I hate to see anyone local lose there job but he really has no idea of what he's doing.

In_Tulsa said:
I think they should let Jonathan for 106.1 go. He has made a mess of that station. What started as a good idea for a late 80's and 90's station he's turned into a mix station. I think the big problem is he's to young to program that format. I don't think he's even 30! I hate to see anyone local lose there job but he really has no idea of what he's doing.

While I agree that station is a mess, I don't believe it is 100% Jonathan's fault. I think the "GenX" concept nationally is a horrible idea, and is doomed to fail. Too many genres you're trying to put together there, and you end up going from a Marilyn Manson song to a Michael Jackson song. The best thing he can do is tighten up the playlist somehow...maybe go Classic Alternative (which I think is a fantastic idea for a format)...there's your REAL GenX'ers.

maybe go Classic Alternative (which I think is a fantastic idea for a format)...there's your REAL GenX'ers.

I have been Begging for years for a 90's alternative station that plays album cuts and b sides and really plays a lot of what was originally not played on radio from these artists...

Pearl Jam, Bush, STP, Chilli peppers, pumpkins, chains, nirvana, blind melon, Oasis, gin blossoms, collective soul, soundgarden, NIN, better than ezra, silverchair, eve 6, blur, black crowes, candle box, fuel, creed, godsmack, incubus, no doubt, tool, even Metallica. I am sure there are many that slip my mind but you get the idea...

ionosphere said:
In_Tulsa said:

While I agree that station is a mess, I don't believe it is 100% Jonathan's fault. I think the "GenX" concept nationally is a horrible idea, and is doomed to fail. Too many genres you're trying to put together there, and you end up going from a Marilyn Manson song to a Michael Jackson song. The best thing he can do is tighten up the playlist somehow...maybe go Classic Alternative (which I think is a fantastic idea for a format)...there's your REAL GenX'ers.

I love the GenX concept but I agree, the 90s were way too diverse musically and its impossible to cram it all into one format and do it well.

The concept is great. The problem is that they playing to new of music you have to keep it from 1980 to 1999. Jonathan thinks 2009 is old school! That's the proplem.

In_Tulsa said:
The concept is great. The problem is that they playing to new of music you have to keep it from 1980 to 1999. Jonathan thinks 2009 is old school! That's the proplem.

I agree, although I think 80-99 is too wide. Maybe more like 85-99.

I've been shocked at how recent some of the songs played are... it feels more like a top-40 station playing nothing but their recurrent and gold categories!

Anybody know if their numbers are any good in the money demos?

NightAire said:
I've been shocked at how recent some of the songs played are... it feels more like a top-40 station playing nothing but their recurrent and gold categories!

Anybody know if their numbers are any good in the money demos?

Last I paid attention, they're numbers were bad across the board. Jonathan is leaning newer in an effort to bring in the younger demos and it's alienating the demo the station claims to be trying to reach: GenXers. Now I hear they have a Top 40 syndicated morning show (no, not Kraddick). They'd better find something that works soon.

Does anyone know of a market where the GenX format has been a success?

I LOVE the Gen X Station. But I listen on the Iheartradio app from St. Louis. I don't know how well it does in the ratings, but I love the concept and the music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom