• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classical Music Radio in San Diego - Tijuana

Correct. Last time I saw a study, the average audience of classical was ~4 years older than jazz. That study was conducted quite a few years, ago though.
I don't think anything has happened over those years in music or any other form of pop culture that would reduce the age of the typical classical listener. "Amadeus" came out in 1984; if it created new classical fans back then, they apparently didn't stay fans.

I agree. KUSC comes in with static or not at all in most cars in central and southern San Diego. It is disappointing that in major cities
like San Diego, Miami, and Houston we have to use our phones to drive to classical music unless our car has HD radio. Rebroadcasting KUSC on a San Diego or Tijuana frequency would be great. Like most jazz stations, 88.1 FM has very low ratings, usually less than 1 percent in 6+. I know classical audiences are old, but I think jazz audiences are also old.
You should be able to hear Jazz in SD on KSDS 88.3...a pretty good station...

I agree. KUSC comes in with static or not at all in most cars in central and southern San Diego. It is disappointing that in major cities
like San Diego, Miami, and Houston we have to use our phones to drive to classical music unless our car has HD radio. Rebroadcasting KUSC on a San Diego or Tijuana frequency would be great. Like most jazz stations, 88.1 FM has very low ratings, usually less than 1 percent in 6+. I know classical audiences are old, but I think jazz audiences are also old.
Several years ago, there was a plan afoot that KUSC was going to operate a translator station in San Diego.

I would surely be a regular contributor to the station if that happened.

I don't think anything has happened over those years in music or any other form of pop culture that would reduce the age of the typical classical listener. "Amadeus" came out in 1984; if it created new classical fans back then, they apparently didn't stay fans.
Once you get classical music in your veins, it never goes away. I think it is a bit haphazard to make a citation and assumption about a movie from 38 years ago.

Classical music has been doing a good job of getting its artists on Youtube and doing crossover to bring in these younger demos and audiences clamor for artists like Andrea Bocelli, etc.

Once you get classical music in your veins, it never goes away. I think it is a bit haphazard to make a citation and assumption about a movie from 38 years ago.

Classical music has been doing a good job of getting its artists on Youtube and doing crossover to bring in these younger demos and audiences clamor for artists like Andrea Bocelli, etc.
My father had a huge library of classical and opera recordings, so the music was part of my life from birth. I enjoyed some of it and asked him about it infrequently because I know I'd get a long dissertation on Dvorak or Mussorgsky in response. I also had a brief Gilbert & Sullivan obsession after a touring troupe staged a condensed "The Mikado" at my middle school. But I never really started listening to any classical music on my own until about five years ago, when I gave Vermont Public Radio a try one frigid winter morning. The music chosen somehow struck a chord with me, as it seemed to complement the snowy mountainsides I was driving past on my way home to Connecticut. I've been listening ever since, slowly learning to recognize composers, but classical still takes a back seat to country and classic soul.

I wonder, though, if people who never heard classical music at home during childhood eventually learn to love it as adults years later, as I did. If not, then the music is on a death spiral in viability on radio, for succeeding generations of fathers (mine was born in 1921) have had less and less interest in classical music and many have never heard it on local radio.

I wonder, though, if people who never heard classical music at home during childhood eventually learn to love it as adults years later, as I did.
I personally discovered classical music in college, initially by attending recitals of friends of mine who studied music. Eventually I worked with one of those friends at an NPR member station hosting classical music, although I transitioned to a role in the news department when one came open.

In his retirement, my dad has gotten into classical music. But that's happened only in the last 5 years or so.

For me, my parents had some classical records (best of type) and I found them a bit boring. I listened intently to KXTR in Kansas City when they announced a 24 hour schedule. It was learning the station, not for the music. By the time I was in my late 30s I was doing a good deal of traveling and would find either a talk station or classical station to listen to. About 10 years went by and I was buying classical CDs. Classical is not my first choice but it's top 3 easily. One thing I regret was buying the RCA Victrola budget classical releases...all top notch conductors and musicians and quality recordings. I tend to like classical stations that play ample lesser played works and composers.

correcting the above post: should say I regret NOT buying the RCA Victrola budget classical releases. I worked in a record store then and could have enjoyed a 40% discount.

I wonder if KPBS-FM can use one of its translator and broadcast classical music
It already has classical on an HD channel. And it has one very low power translator near La Jolla, but it would be useless as a classical station.

It already has classical on an HD channel. And it has one very low power translator near La Jolla, but it would be useless as a classical station.
It is a canned service from Minnesota Public Radio. Another classical music jukebox. Kind of like a classical music Muzak service.

It is a canned service from Minnesota Public Radio. Another classical music jukebox. Kind of like a classical music Muzak service.
Why does the fact that the music is programmed out of MN make it of any less value than a locally programmed classical service? It's likely that the folks at MPR have greater knowledge and experience than the station in SD could devote to that programming, so the listeners are the winners.

I have listened to the MPR service, and it seems fairly good. A nice balance of the "big and expected" and some refreshing less used works with a good variety of conductors and orchestras. Note: I have owned and programmed a classical station myself and also ran one in the US briefly and was fortunate enough to get a "quick course" from Robert Conrad of WCLV years ago.

Last edited:
Why does the fact that the music is programmed out of MN make it of any less value than a locally programmed classical service? It's likely that the folks at MPR have greater knowledge and experience than the station in SD could devote to that programming, so the listeners are the winners.

I have listened to the MPR service, and it seems fairly good. A nice balance of the "big and expected" and some refreshing less used works with a good variety of conductors and orchestras. Note: I have owned and programmed a classical station myself and also ran one in the US briefly and was fortunate enough to que a "quick course" from Robert Conrad of WCLV years ago.

but but, @DavidEduardo ..dontcha know... b eing local is the key to success and listeners care where the music and djs come from and thats make or break it for a station?

sarcasm off

I have listened to the MPR service, and it seems fairly good. A nice balance of the "big and expected" and some refreshing less used works with a good variety of conductors and orchestras.
I have no problem with the musical selections on C24. The announcers, however, are about as exciting as the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

I have listened to the MPR service, and it seems fairly good. A nice balance of the "big and expected" and some refreshing less used works with a good variety of conductors and orchestras. Note: I have owned and programmed a classical station myself and also ran one in the US briefly and was fortunate enough to get a "quick course" from Robert Conrad of WCLV years ago.

My big thing is localism, localism, localism. MPR's service is very good, they have good programming sense, but as has been suggested here in this thread, the announcers are as interesting as Wonder Bread.

My big thing is localism, localism, localism. MPR's service is very good, they have good programming sense, but as has been suggested here in this thread, the announcers are as interesting as Wonder Bread.

so riddle me this, @sdwulfdawg .. how does a local announcer sitting in san diego saying exactly the same thing as a classical24 announcer make the product better? the average listener doesnt think about or listen to radio the same way radio geeks and radio people do.

over my 20 years in radio, i cant count how many people ive given tours to and were surprised that.. for instance, at the 3 station cluster in PA, the morning hosts on the country station werent local (big d and bubba..... didnt matter they werent local, the audience loved them)

I suppose the thing I don't care for about Classical24 besides the announcers is the musical interludes to cover local station breaks. It seems the format, which is good, would be better if operated like the Westwood One formats where stations access the library and control break lengths. I've never heard a C24 affiliate cover those breaks. It's good programming musically and it is really nice for the station to not be required acquire a classical library and announcers to do a local format. It greatly reduces their expenses and manpower.

so riddle me this, @sdwulfdawg .. how does a local announcer sitting in san diego saying exactly the same thing as a classical24 announcer make the product better? the average listener doesnt think about or listen to radio the same way radio geeks and radio people do.

over my 20 years in radio, i cant count how many people ive given tours to and were surprised that.. for instance, at the 3 station cluster in PA, the morning hosts on the country station werent local (big d and bubba..... didnt matter they werent local, the audience loved them)
Paul... For San Diego, as an example, it would the announcer referencing (and recapping) upcoming concerts by the San Diego Symphony at Rady Shell, the wonderful new waterfront peninsula concert venue that just opened in 2021.

Paul... For San Diego, as an example, it would the announcer referencing (and recapping) upcoming concerts by the San Diego Symphony at Rady Shell, the wonderful new waterfront peninsula concert venue that just opened in 2021.
That can be done best on the station's website. Or, if really needed, do a calendar feature in a local break.

How many breaks could be filled with local concert information, vs. the total number of breaks?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom