• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Hits or Classic Rock?

I have no problem with either format provided a station doesn't play the same old crap over and over again. Lynard Skynard has many more songs than just "Freebird".

vchimpanzee said:
Radiologist said:
I'd love to hear this station in Charlotte. Do they stream?
Yeah. http://www.957theride.com/ .

I've been listening and checking out the playlist and I have to say they've got the right idea. This is the direction that Classic Hits/Oldies/Classic Rock needs to go. Other than playing Tom Petty every other hour, they have a great variety and go a little deeper than just the traditional "hits." I noticed Elton John's "Take Me To The Pilot" in there, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheel's "Sock It To Me Baby" (What? No "Devil With A Blue Dress?") I also saw Jimmy Buffet's "Take Another Road." How many stations play anything other than "Margarittaville?" Maybe "Cheeseburger in Paradise?"

My only suggestion would be opening up the number of artists a bit. Just in todays' log, I noticed 3 or 4 Tom Petty songs and several songs from a few other artists as well. Not a huge criticism, but I think there's enough good music in this era that you can open it up a bit.

The strongest praise that I can give is that the station does show some true musical diversity. For example, Otis Redding's "Try A Little Tenderness" and Dusty Springfield's "Son Of A Preacher Man" being played right along with Talking Heads "And She Was" and Stevie Nicks' "Stand Back."

Many of the "We play anything" formats (Jack/Bob/Sam/Tim/Fred/George/Myrna/Florence/etc.) end up being nothing but "white boy rock" (as I like to call it).

I'm a new fan of "The Ride!"

I think the format should be called old time variety hits. The classic moniker is overused and pretentious. Using the above mentioned term allows the station to play all genres from the 70's and 80's. Soul, prog-rock, hard rock, pop, New Wave ect.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom