• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Citadel (KGO, KSFO) Now Part Of Cumulus (KNBR, KFOG)

Chuck Geiger posted a lengthy quote on Facebook today, which I'm guessing came from All Access or our very own Radio-Info.com, about Cumulus' "new culture."

Although San Francisco wasn't specifically mentioned, here are a few highlights:

SVP/Programming Mike McVay led a conference call late this afternoon with more than 500 Cumulus managers and programmers on the line, and outlined the systems being put in place for "the new Cumulus."

Music programming will come from a suggested list. The degree to which programmers can deviate depends on their "designated leeway," which will presumably be based primarily on market size.

All contracts with programming consultants will be severed immediately.

Programmers will have to make "good arguments" if they choose not to carry Citadel Media-supplied programming.

Format Managers will be appointed, and programmers are being encouraged to apply for those posts.

All communications with trade publications will come from Atlanta; individual employees are not permitted to talk to the trades.

A dress code has been implemented: no blue jeans, flip-flops, piercings or exposed tattoos.

Sounds like the return of Boss Radio. Drake may be dead but his deciples live on. I seem to remember RKO had a dress code, no? I know NBC did.

Large markets will likely get more 'leeway' than smaller ones. I expect nothing but more syndicated/voicetracked takebt and cookie cutter programming at the small market stations.

BossRadioDJ said:
A dress code has been implemented: no blue jeans, flip-flops, piercings or exposed tattoos.

But that's everything I wear!

BossRadioDJ said:
Chuck Geiger posted a lengthy quote on Facebook today, which I'm guessing came from All Access or our very own Radio-Info.com, about Cumulus' "new culture."

For Cumulus staff members, it's really not much of a new culture at all. It may be culture shock for some at Citadel, though.

carolinaradio said:
Large markets will likely get more 'leeway' than smaller ones. I expect nothing but more syndicated/voicetracked takebt and cookie cutter programming at the small market stations.

You'd be surprised. There are some extremely experienced and respected programmers in some markets outside the Top 50.

But when you look outside the Top 200, these are stations that should not be bundled with large groups like this. CBS and several other companies have already realized this. A lot of these small market stations don't bring much to the bottom line. They're better off being sold or donated.

Kent said:
It may be culture shock for some at Citadel, though.

Only because there was no real programming management at Citadel.

TheBigA said:
carolinaradio said:

You'd be surprised. There are some extremely experienced and respected programmers in some markets outside the Top 50.

But when you look outside the Top 200, these are stations that should not be bundled with large groups like this. CBS and several other companies have already realized this. A lot of these small market stations don't bring much to the bottom line. They're better off being sold or donated.
Yeah, I agree. I meant that Cumulus stations in smaller markets seem to have more syndication and fewer on-air personalities than the medium/larger sized markets so I suspect they'll just plug more syndication in to those.

I've said the very small markets probably need to go for quite a while. Clear Channel got out of a lot of the very small markets 4 or 5 years ago.

carolinaradio said:
I meant that Cumulus stations in smaller markets seem to have more syndication and fewer on-air personalities than the medium/larger sized markets so I suspect they'll just plug more syndication in to those.

The real problem with small markets is there are way way way too many radio stations. I'm always surprised at a small market that has more than 25 stations. Only a few can survive with live staffs. The rest have to operate with some form of syndication. If they're owned by a big group, they can get larger market VT. If not, they have to run a 24/7 format. Now Cumulus owns a company that provides that 24/7 format, staffed with live people in Dallas.

Yeah - that's why I said in another thread that I can totally see some of these small-market stations removing what little local staff is left and plugging in something from Cumulus Media Networks the rest of the time. To be honest, the only formats I ever hear delivered by satellite are standards, oldies, and religious. Maybe country.

I'm just skeptical that Faribault, Minnesota or Blacksburg, Virginia are really valuable markets...

I'm always surprised at a small market that has more than 25 stations.

Which small market has more than 25 stations?

TheBigA said:
BossRadioDJ said:
I'm always surprised at a small market that has more than 25 stations.

Which small market has more than 25 stations?

How about Redding CA, Market 225, 150,000 residents and 20 radio stations in Arbitron? Over 40 stations in the metro.

http://www.ontheradio.net/metro/Redding_CA.aspx

If you count stations on the other side of the Trinity Alps, in Humboldt and Del Norte counties, as "in the metro" which no sane person would...

weav said:
If you count stations on the other side of the Trinity Alps, in Humboldt and Del Norte counties, as "in the metro" which no sane person would...

OK...so how many stations would you say qualify as "in the metro?" Obviously more than 20, less than 40. Include the non-coms and religious stations too.

TheBigA said:
weav said:

OK...so how many stations would you say qualify as "in the metro?" Obviously more than 20, less than 40. Include the non-coms and religious stations too.

Hmmm... from the ontheradio list I only count 12 I'd even charitably call "in the metro". And that's counting the Corning one which may not really be receivable up there.

Maybe Redding isn't such a good example for whoever was using the "25 stations" meme... was it carolinaradio?

Lissen sonny, I remember when it was 5 AM stations and no FM in Redding. Had to get cable to get FM. AND WE LI.... tolerated it!!

weav said:
Hmmm... from the ontheradio list I only count 12 I'd even charitably call "in the metro".

Then how do 20 stations show up in Arbitron? That doesn't include any religious or NCE stations, and all 20 get at least a .5.

Welll.... hmmm.. intriguing question. Of the 20 listed in http://www.radio-info.com/markets/redding which get 0.5 or higher, one is an SF station and one is a Sac station. Two were not in the other list, which is a lame oversight on their part. One is listed as Weaverville, which is to hell and gone in the middle of the mountains, but now that I look at it its COL is Palo Cedro (on the other side of Redding), and its tx is just N. of Whiskeytown lake. And KRQR is COL in Orland so I left it out but it does allegedly put a city grade just across Redding. So that's the 6 I didn't count. So 18 it is.

Is Cumulus going to consolidate all of their new SF stations under one roof?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom