• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas music

In the early 90's there was an album called The Young Messiah, and later an updated version called The New Young Messiah, that had CCM artists performing various songs from Handel's Messiah that combined classical and pop/rock styles. The newer version had a version of the Hallelujah Chorus that got some airplay at Christmas, at least in my area, and I really liked it. (I know VChimp probably would hate it, but so what??? :rolleyes:) But at that time I was hearing CCM more on weekend radio shows and not as much on full time stations, so they probably had more freedom in what was played rather than having to stick to the charts.

Last edited:
I am well aware that you are so close-minded about music that you make a perpetually misanthropic grouch like me look open-minded by comparison. When I say someone is "closed minded", that's like Shaquille O'Neill saying someone else is really tall.
I'm surprised you didn't say Scrooge.

Amazingly, many of the performances I hear on the radio now and like are new to me. Bing Crosby's "Christmas Is Coming" is one I've only heard in recent years.

Andy Williams' "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is also relatively new to me. But it has become one of my favorites.

I may be one of the few who isn't annoyed with Harry Simeone Chorale's "Little Drummer Boy", though as a child I didn't understand its appeal.

"Do You Hear What I Hear" still seems like one of the "new" songs. I remember hearing it for the first time when I went with a church youth group to some event at Christmas, and while I wasn't as intolerant of "new" music back then as now, it was one of those strange new songs. Now, Perry Como's and Bing Crosby's versions are among my favorites.

"The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole is also one I don't remember from when I was a child.

"Deck the Halls" by Mannheim Steamroller was an interesting novelty when it was first recorded but more songs in that style I'm not open to. Whether I want to hear it or not depends on the mood I'm in.

On the other hand, their "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" was one I used to hear a lot on TV when I didn't know it was them. It's a good version.

It's also not a celebration of the birth of Jesus. In Handel's "The Messiah," it occurs between the crucifixion and the resurrection. A station thinking of going all-Easter might consider it for its playlist!

That is true. However, the lyrics of the piece are applicable in Advent. Here are the lyrics:

|: Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! :|
|: For the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! :|

For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
|: Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! :|

The kingdom of this world
Is become the kingdom of our Lord,
And of His Christ, and of His Christ;
And He shall reign for ever and ever,
For ever and ever, forever and ever,

King of kings, and Lord of lords,
|: King of kings, and Lord of lords, :|
And Lord of lords,
And He shall reign,
And He shall reign forever and ever,
King of kings, forever and ever,
And Lord of lords,
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

|: King of kings! and Lord of lords! :|
King of kings! and Lord of lords!
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

That's not too far in theme from O Come, O Come, Emanuel, another of my favorite Advent hymns.

The [NBC] MONITOR Tribute Page" [ has a link to The Sounds of MONITOR and a few of them have marvelous Christmas bumpers and IDs. Just don't find that kind of production value these days.

I may have mentioned it earlier, but in the mid to late 60's, a lot of the regular Top 40 stations ran full pre-recorded shows (they didn't have "voice tracking" back then so you had to sit in a production studio and do an entire hour (or two or three) show that could be played back later. That was about the only way the jocks got vacations. I don't recall many substitutes sitting in during the holidays. Branding was too vital and necessary. Besides no one who had not spent a year or so on a "100 watt daytimer out in the country" didn't stand a chance of getting in the station's door, much less on the air.

I always wondered how small a station had to be to qualify for that "training" and "experience" the managers were looking for. And where were they? I tried a few in the suburbs of Atlanta back then, even a daytimer at 1550 and I still was directed to go get some experience, then come back in a year or so.

I don't know whether it's Leroy Anderson or The Boston Pops but my favorite version of "Sleigh Ride" is one I don't recall hearing before the 80s.

Considering he's a CCM artist why am I not surprised by that statement??? :rolleyes:

I've heard more than a few CCM-style renditions of O Come, O Come, Emanuel. Most of them were pretty good. Some weren't, but that's because they just weren't very good, not because the person performing them had a reputation for singing CCM music.

I've heard more than a few CCM-style renditions of O Come, O Come, Emanuel. Most of them were pretty good. Some weren't, but that's because they just weren't very good, not because the person performing them had a reputation for singing CCM music.

I'll admit that I haven't heard Aaron Shust's version, but I'd be willing to listen. I like most versions of O Come O Come Emanuel by CCM artists I've heard. I was mainly poking fun at VChimp since he probably hated it from the start since it was CCM. :rolleyes:

I'll admit that I haven't heard Aaron Shust's version, but I'd be willing to listen. I like most versions of O Come O Come Emanuel by CCM artists I've heard. I was mainly poking fun at VChimp since he probably hated it from the start since it was CCM. :rolleyes:

Making fun of VChimp is too easy.

There's this very irritating style that male vocalists in CCM often have. That's the last thing I want to hear on what is otherwise a very good mix of Chritmas music. Or could be, since America's Best Music actually sounds more contemporary than usual in December, while ACs sound more traditional than usual. WAY more traditional.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom