• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas Music Station Flip

I'll go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on the limb of a Douglas Fir and say that B101 will be the Philadelphia station that flips first. I will go further out on that limb and suggest that it will happen on November 10. I will stick very, very close to the trunk of that Fir when I say that B101 will be not only the first, but also the only Philadelphia station that flips.

My vote goes to 106.1 The Breeze! lol
Actually I really liked it when WOGL was "Philadelphia's Christmas Classic Hits Station." but I don't see them doing a very "Big Christmas!"

My vote goes to 106.1 The Breeze! lol
Actually I really liked it when WOGL was "Philadelphia's Christmas Classic Hits Station." but I don't see them doing a very "Big Christmas!"
WOGL hasn't done Christmas since Audacy/Entercom bought B101 correct? No need to compete against your own sibling.

I see the usual suspects of WJBR and WLEV going all-christmas at some point, but otherwise, it's gonna be B101's nearly-exclusive game this year.

WOGL hasn't done Christmas since Audacy/Entercom bought B101 correct? No need to compete against your own sibling.

I see the usual suspects of WJBR and WLEV going all-christmas at some point, but otherwise, it's gonna be B101's nearly-exclusive game this year.

Oh yeah I forgot owned by the same company now, yeah sooo not gonna happen.
Yep the 3 ACs will go all Christmas for sure.

Well WJBR will get some philly area listeners too, but yeah with the breeze gone, it's gonna be good news for B101 this year, that's for sure.

If you liked the old WOGL Christmas format try 105.7 WMJI in Cleveland in November same sound as WOGLS classic Christmas format

I really liked it when Sunny 104.5 went all Christmas. They had a deep library. Very unusual for a Clear Channel station.

I really liked it when Sunny 104.5 went all Christmas. They had a deep library. Very unusual for a Clear Channel station.
I know folks hate how people romanticize it, but Sunny really did have an incredible Christmas library. I haven't heard one like that since. I am a Christmas freak and I have thousands and thousands of Christmas songs--but Sunny definitely introduced me to a lot of classics that I love now, but which I had been completely unaware of! They had a really fun presentation with it as well.

Anyway, back to October...

I was just perusing this again and noticed that, just last week, I ended with "back to October," as if it were too soon to discuss Christmas. If B101.1 and Mix 99.5 aren't playing Christmas music a month from today, they'll be starting just a couple days after that. So, I guess the topic is actually fair game at this point. ¡Feliz escucha!

Last edited:
I think a lot of stations around the country, including the Philadelphia area, may go 24/7 Christmas music as early as November 1st.

My reasoning is that many stations will do it to satisfy retail advertisers (who are the dominant ad category for music-formatted stations), since the retail industry is facing a potentially disastrous Christmas-shopping season, what with inflation and recession fears. Besides, many retail advertisers promoting Christmas season sales like advertising on all-Christmas stations.

Such stations will likely get pressure from retail advertisers and their ad agencies to go all-Christmas earlier, and given retail's dominance of advertising on.music-formatted stations, stations and group owners will likely succumb to that pressure.

Additionally, most radio stations that do go all-Christmas enjoy huge ratings bumps. By switching on November 1st, stations would possibly get between one and three-and-a-half additional weeks of all-Christmas programming (and increased ratings that go with it), compared to the date they went all-Christmas in the past.

Last edited:
I think a lot of stations around the country, including the Philadelphia area, may go 24/7 Christmas music as early as November 1st.

My reasoning is that many stations will do it to satisfy retail advertisers (who are the dominant ad category for music-formatted stations), since the retail industry is facing a potentially disastrous Christmas-shopping season, what with inflation and recession fears. Besides, many retail advertisers promoting Christmas season sales like advertising on all-Christmas stations.

Such stations will likely get pressure from retail advertisers and their ad agencies to go all-Christmas earlier, and given retail's dominance of advertising on.music-formatted stations, stations and group owners will likely succumb to that pressure.

Additionally, most radio stations that do go all-Christmas enjoy huge ratings bumps. By switching on November 1st, stations would possibly get between one and three-and-a-half additional weeks of all-Christmas programming (and increased ratings that go with it), compared to the date they went all-Christmas in the past.
No shade intended, but you say this every year (virtually verbatim) and it never actually pans out. November 1 doesn't really mean anything (unless you're Mariah Carey). There are significant dates that radio folks think about--examples would be the starts of the December and Holiday books, as well as the week before Thanksgiving (which might actually be the period when the majority of stations make the switch), but November 1 doesn't have any real significance.

Last edited:
I made a Wawa run this morning and I feel like I should note that Q102 was playing "Last Christmas" (a cover; not the Wham! version). I assume it had something to do with December's Jingle Ball, but it still seems a bit much to play an entire Christmas song during morning drive on October 14!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom