• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas Music Radio Stations

KKRB Klamath Falls (one of my top picks, massive playlist) *still* has the Muddy Mudskipper Holiday song from Ren & Stimpy in their playlist. Along with a lot of other rarities, even some New Year's songs (recently heard 'Funky New Year' by The Eagles a few days ago).

The aforementioned KMGK was doing weekend Christmas music and sprinkling 50-50 regular/Christmas on weekdays. Now it seems to be 24/7. Some rarities from the last few days: 'Christmas Song' by the Dave Matthews Band (and NO...not a Nat King Cole cover, it's an original song), The Calling's version of 'Carol of the Bells'...the same band who had the massive hit 'Wherever You Will Go' in 2001, a smooth R&B version of 'Do You Hear What I Hear' that sounded like Vanessa Williams, but Shazam wouldn't identify it, a Bobby Vinton cover of 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town', even a New Age cover of 'Lo, how a rose e'er blooming,' a German Christmas carol. It's the most unique Christmas station I have ever heard...and in multiple listens, only one Mariah Carey song! It was 'Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)'.

Another 'wide-playlist' FM? A translator in Pullman. Hits 104.7, K284BW. Wide playlist ranging from country Christmas, R&B, to the classics.

'Nuttin' For Christmas' is burnt-up novelty garbage in my opinion. That, and the Two Front Teeth (but I love the Nat King Cole version), and the Barking Dogs, I am even tuning out 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer' this year.

Interesting that WJMJ would air a song by Chris De Burgh. He's a Christian but not into 'organized religion' according to a 2004 article here: Chris De Burgh
My local CCM station (Positive Life Radio) avoids most references to Santa in their Christmas playlist, for obvious reasons. Some Christians are strongly against the commercialization of the holiday, and Santa Claus is not mentioned in the family or taught to the kids. Whenever I hear an original Christmas hit by a CCM artist, they mention snow, gathering as a family, and of course, the birth of Jesus, but the lyrics don't mention Santa at all. "We Need Christmas" by Matthew West is a prime example. References Charlie Brown Christmas, references the Salvation Army kettle, but the big fat jolly man is all but missing.
They do spin a lot of classic songs - Andy, Bing and Burl, and 'Where Are You Christmas' by Faith Hill - but Mariah Carey, Elton John, and Paul McCartney are missing.

Interesting that WJMJ would air a song by Chris De Burgh. He's a Christian but not into 'organized religion' according to a 2004 article here: Chris De Burgh
Chris De Burgh
WJMJ has few restrictions on what it will play. It's mostly soft rock and oldies, with generous helpings of lighter R&B and country. Artists don't have to be Catholic, or any kind of Christian for that matter. Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens -- all perfectly fine for airplay. There's a CCM show in the evening, part of a 7-midnight shift featuring music and talk with a Catholic focus, but otherwise ... well, here's a playlist for you to look over. The Christmas music is now approaching one-third of the playlist.

Last edited:
It's Christmas Eve, and so most country, classic hits, and other formats flip for a few days. One of those stations is Paul Walker's KSKO in Alaska...and they have an excellent mix of holiday music. Just about every genre is given airplay. Country Christmas from Kenny Rogers, R&B from TLC, classics from Bing Crosby and more, even some instrumental and folk. (I need to listen to them during REGULAR format time). I'm not sure if Santa's sleigh can pick it up as it crosses over the Bush, but he might be listening :)
The full Handel's Messiah opera has been on this evening on KWIQ Moses Lake (normally a country format) which I think is one of the most unusual holiday programs on any commercial FM station. It's been a tradition for years. KKRV Wenatchee was airing a syndicated show called Country Home for the Holidays. KOZI Chelan is airing a local radio play of A Christmas Carol...this is also a yearly tradition. Some of the BEST in radio can be heard on 12/24 and 12/25.
Haven't checked the AM band yet, but I'm sure Mannheim Steamroller can be found on a ton of 50KWers.

It's Christmas Eve, and so most country, classic hits, and other formats flip for a few days. One of those stations is Paul Walker's KSKO in Alaska...and they have an excellent mix of holiday music. Just about every genre is given airplay. Country Christmas from Kenny Rogers, R&B from TLC, classics from Bing Crosby and more, even some instrumental and folk. (I need to listen to them during REGULAR format time). I'm not sure if Santa's sleigh can pick it up as it crosses over the Bush, but he might be listening :)
The full Handel's Messiah opera has been on this evening on KWIQ Moses Lake (normally a country format) which I think is one of the most unusual holiday programs on any commercial FM station. It's been a tradition for years. KKRV Wenatchee was airing a syndicated show called Country Home for the Holidays. KOZI Chelan is airing a local radio play of A Christmas Carol...this is also a yearly tradition. Some of the BEST in radio can be heard on 12/24 and 12/25.
Haven't checked the AM band yet, but I'm sure Mannheim Steamroller can be found on a ton of 50KWers.

till 5am Tuesday, @crainbebo

We play songs that fall into the.. i havent heard that in years, i know of it but havent ever heard it on radio or "i didnt even know THAt artist did THAT song!"

ive had all of those comments from listeners already!

Last edited:
As of December 24, 2023, there are 622 US stations and 24 Canadian stations, totaling 646, that are playing Christmas music.

Christmas Music Radio Stations (Radio-Locator)
Plus the little station in rural New Hampshire I brought up when this discussion started, WCNL Newport. I never reported it to Radio-Locator, just waited to see if it would ever be listed as Christmas. Nope, never was, and it is still all-Christmas this morning a month later. So make that 623 US stations, at least.

Does anyone know if stations themselves report their format status to R-L or if the people who maintain that site depend on radio hobbyists to provide information? Either way, stations like WCNL are likely to fall through the cracks, either because they are in small markets or non-markets where there are no radio geeks on patrol or where management has no idea what Radio-Locator is, or because they aren't adult contemporary stations and thus don't fit the accepted profile for a Christmas station. (WCNL's format is country music from the '60s through today but its Christmas music is largely pop and standards.)

till 5am Tuesday, @crainbebo

We play songs that fall into the.. i havent heard that in years, i know of it but havent ever heard it on radio or "i didnt even know THAt artist did THAT song!"

ive had all of those comments from listeners already!

Back to our normal format today :)

Most of the AC stations in my area were still wall-to-wall holiday music on the 26th. Some are still playing it today, mixed in with their normal playlist.

(It) looks like Atlanta, Miami and Dayton are the only sizable markets that I know of with no secular all-Christmas station.

On the other hand, Dayton is close enough to Cincinnati that listeners there could pick up "secular" all-Christmas stations from Cincinnati, especially in and south of Dayton.

Just recently discovered that our local classical station here in Seattle, KING-FM, has all Christmas classical on their HD-3, and it looks like (as for now) it's a permanent channel.

Back
Top Bottom