• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas in Connecticut

This is the second year Lite 100.5 WRCH has flipped to Christmas. At least they didn't start to soon. The week of Thanksgiving isn't to bad. Last year they flipped the day after Thanksgiving I believe.

Soon Star 99.9 in Bridgeport will go Christmas on Thanksgiving Day. That is what it says on their website.

On a side note Im surprised one of the stations in New York City haven't flipped to Christmas Music. I thought WLTW would be all over it as they could use a little help. But I could see WCBS-FM going Christmas as CBS does Christmas on WODS Boston which does very well.

Ken said:
This is the second year Lite 100.5 WRCH has flipped to Christmas. At least they didn't start to soon. The week of Thanksgiving isn't to bad. Last year they flipped the day after Thanksgiving I believe.

Soon Star 99.9 in Bridgeport will go Christmas on Thanksgiving Day. That is what it says on their website.

On a side note Im surprised one of the stations in New York City haven't flipped to Christmas Music. I thought WLTW would be all over it as they could use a little help. But I could see WCBS-FM going Christmas as CBS does Christmas on WODS Boston which does very well.

For one thing, I am glad that Lite 100.5 went Christmas instead of DRC-FM. Despite their dismal audio, they still have an excellent oldies playlist and are a big help in passing the time from Stamford to Sturbridge!

Secondly, I'd be surprised if CBS-FM went all X-Mas because they are still reestablishing the oldies format at 101.1. Doing so would confuse the issue. Sure, they'll mix in some holiday tunes as we get past Thanksgiving. But, I doubt they'll dump oldies for all Christmas. Someone else will end up doing it.

In Boston, Oldies 103.3 has become a pretty lame oldies/ac hybrid (can you say James Taylor a dozen times a day?) and Christmas fits perfectly well on that station. However, this has to do more with positioning the station than with some corporate edict. In fact, CBS' WOGL in Philly hasn't gone all Christmas either.

MarcB said:
Both have flipped 24/7. The husband of a co-worker of mine is an intern at 106.5/107.7 I'll have to find out if 106.5 is still gonna run those syndicated countdown shows they have even tho the rest of the station is all Christmas.

Hey Marc, as far as I know its all christmas all the time at WBMW staright through dec. 25 and as far as the syndicated programming I believe its christmas versions of that programming but Im not 100% on that. Also the regular soft rock variety programming is available online at wbmw.com hope that answers you question my friend!have a good one

Sorry to be so old fashioned, but give me back the days when stations waited until the day after Thanksgiving and began running a Christmas song every hour or two and gradually worked up in intensity as the holiday season got underway. Besides, I would venture to say that filling 24/7 with holiday music is a weak excuse for programming, especially since there are so few holiday songs that are worth listening to. And we wonder why so many people choose satellite, I-Pods, CD's, or even silence. All are reasonable alternatives to a month of sappy Christmas material which wouldn't even have been played on the air back when people respected (to some degree) the season.

How about a station with all Christmas, all the time?That's all year long.

If you can secure the rights to that idea, give it a name and score a consultant to pitch it, I'm sure there will be owners who will jump on that bandwagon.

bernzee said:
I would venture to say that filling 24/7 with holiday music is a weak excuse for programming

And the station owners would turn around and tell you: $orry!

bernzee said:
Sorry to be so old fashioned, but give me back the days when stations waited until the day after Thanksgiving and began running a Christmas song every hour or two and gradually worked up in intensity as the holiday season got underway. Besides, I would venture to say that filling 24/7 with holiday music is a weak excuse for programming, especially since there are so few holiday songs that are worth listening to. And we wonder why so many people choose satellite, I-Pods, CD's, or even silence. All are reasonable alternatives to a month of sappy Christmas material which wouldn't even have been played on the air back when people respected (to some degree) the season.

I agree 100%. But, apparently, you and I "don't get it." So I have been told......

MarcB said:
Both have flipped 24/7. The husband of a co-worker of mine is an intern at 106.5/107.7 I'll have to find out if 106.5 is still gonna run those syndicated countdown shows they have even tho the rest of the station is all Christmas.

Intern? We have an intern!!! Where are they hiding him?????? ???

(Besides, I would venture to say that filling 24/7 with holiday music is a weak excuse for programming, especially since there are so few holiday songs that are worth listening to.)

Sorry Bernzee, but its not a weak excuse it is a powerful strategy that a station can use to build an image upon. It is a huge ratings home run and unlike weak air talent, this gets people to tune in.

Hi all ,In the meantime ,Happy holidays.As I see in the last few years of 24/7 holiday formats on local stations are fine, But as I notice last season ,the repeated short playlists of these stations like Star 99.9 are boring if tuned in for the 8 hour work day,It's like a big master loop tape played back at different times a day, ok In my music production collection of holiday tunes some will known hit tune which I never hear these stations play, ok I can make a non repeat for more then 3 days of more with the collection I have.I like the complete mix of the old and the new holiday tunes.Ok any of you guys notice this or it my inmagination.

I never listen to WRCH-FM 100.5 anyways. Sorry, but the last time I looked, I wasn't a rich white soccer mom from Avon or Simsbury! :(

Ok, it's not CT radio, but very close, 94.7 WMAS has also flipped to all christmas.

BTW: did anyone else check the band at 6pm to see who/how many stations are running Arlo Guthrie right now?

I'm showing WPLR, WAQY, & WHCN, there might be others, but I have no antenna on this rig at the moment, so I'm guessing maybe WRKI too?

I also would like to note that Jammin 99.5 went on the air last night at midnight and will be on until midnight with non-stop MIXED dance, rap and R&B, running at extremely low power (about 1/4 block range) as I prefer not to let them have the power they used to use (because I want to keep it legal), especially if it's my voice as the representation of the station because too many in the past have taken it to mean it's my transmitter, and it is not, however, I do have full control over the power switch and the programming.

(Maybe I should have done an all Alice's Restaurant Massacree marathon for 24 hours and be able to claim to be the first one to play it this year?)

In any case, I hope the people next door and across the street are enjoying the programming and aren't getting too much static.

Hopefully you live in a densely populated neighborhood so the maximum amount of people can enjoy it. :)

I'm going to guess 25 to 50 and only if they know about it and have good radios, let's just say the transmitter on my Sirius radio gets out farther.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom