• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CHR Wars......KRBE vs Hot 95.7 Processing

Hot 95.7 is better sounding than KRBE when it comes to their processing. I got to hear La Roux - Bulletproof playing nearly simultaneously on both stations. Hot had it sounding like my speakers would blow out of the car door any second while KRBE had me turning up the volume to overcome road noise. Hot has a great dense CHR sound and KRBE has a more AC/Hot AC sound with a more dynamic and less mashed sound. Does anyone have any clue what boxes these stations are using? Seems like I recall KRBE used to have more aggresive processing. What are others opinions?

Hmm... my guess is one is just over modulating more than the other :p

I believe your allowed 10% over but many stations go 20%. Who knows the processing may be better but I would lean towards over modulation.

Fieldtech1 said:
Hot 95.7 is better sounding than KRBE when it comes to their processing. I got to hear La Roux - Bulletproof playing nearly simultaneously on both stations. Hot had it sounding like my speakers would blow out of the car door any second while KRBE had me turning up the volume to overcome road noise. Hot has a great dense CHR sound and KRBE has a more AC/Hot AC sound with a more dynamic and less mashed sound. Does anyone have any clue what boxes these stations are using? Seems like I recall KRBE used to have more aggresive processing. What are others opinions?

Well, if you heard it at night, it was coming off the bird for Billy Bush, so it's going to be missing some bits due to MPEG compression on the satellite compared to what they'd play off of hard drive. I wouldn't be surprised if KRBE has rolled back the processing a little bit, but the Billy Bush show is so loose you can drive a truck through it. It reminds me of late 80's Satellite Music Network with less talk.

The audio on that show is nowhere near as crispy as on Delilah, especially if you're in a time zone where she's feeding you a repeat. If her voice won't make you want to punch out, the MPEG grunge will.

Hot is running legal, but their processing is... hot.

Fieldtech1 said:
Seems like I recall KRBE used to have more aggresive processing. What are others opinions?

Seems like I recall KRBE used to have more aggresive ownership. I also recall it used to have more listeners, too. When was KRBE last in the top 5? Ah, yes. When Susquehanna owned it. KRBE has lost its way under Cumulus. They don't seem to know where to go. I'd give them a suggestion, but I'm sure they wouldn't be very receptive.

Perhaps they try a new direction with 104. Perhaps CBS just keeps eating their lunch. This isn't a CHR war at all. It isn't even a good battle. KRBE has been trending down since Hot's introduction 2 years ago. It's like KRBE has given up and stuck with the gold stuff. Imagine how different our dial would be today had KRBE taken this same stance with 93Q some 20 years ago.

I love Hot 95.7! I actually wish we had that station here in Phoenix.. but I guess with 101.5 JamZ, 104.7 Kiss FM, and Power 98.3, I should just be thankful for all the rhythmics & rhythmic lean top 40's we have. Ok maybe Hot 95.7 isn't really all that different, but damn they have better mix shows, and they are not afraid to try new things! We finally got the new Enrique Iglesias playing out here, but I double dare anyone in Az be "Brave enough" to use Agnes in the mix! We're pretty much good out here in Az, but Hot 95.7 has better mix show programming from what I've been hearing so far. I have no idea what KBRE sounds like. I have a crazy suspicion that they are (or were once) mainly hip hop hits, and if so, I bet they were thriving while the hip hop era was still going strong.

In a bit of an unrelated note, I'm a bit shocked that no one else in the U.S. has thought of jumping on the classic hip hop format yet. I mean... come on! When the rock n roll era came to an end, classic rock kept the classics going, so it's not like this is some genius idea or anything. Anyway, let me let you all get back to your Hot 95.7 talk.

KDM 7000 said:
I love Hot 95.7! I actually wish we had that station here in Phoenix.. but I guess with 101.5 JamZ, 104.7 Kiss FM, and Power 98.3, I should just be thankful for all the rhythmics & rhythmic lean top 40's we have. Ok maybe Hot 95.7 isn't really all that different, but damn they have better mix shows, and they are not afraid to try new things! We finally got the new Enrique Iglesias playing out here, but I double dare anyone in Az be "Brave enough" to use Agnes in the mix! We're pretty much good out here in Az, but Hot 95.7 has better mix show programming from what I've been hearing so far. I have no idea what KBRE sounds like. I have a crazy suspicion that they are (or were once) mainly hip hop hits, and if so, I bet they were thriving while the hip hop era was still going strong.

In a bit of an unrelated note, I'm a bit shocked that no one else in the U.S. has thought of jumping on the classic hip hop format yet. I mean... come on! When the rock n roll era came to an end, classic rock kept the classics going, so it's not like this is some genius idea or anything. Anyway, let me let you all get back to your Hot 95.7 talk.

It's called "Back Spin". Featuring the R&B and rap artists from the 80's and 90's. You'll find it on your Sirius receiver at Channel 43.

I thought that would have been a good format choice for 92.1, when Radio One woke up and dropped La Mera Mera. To me, it would have tied right in with 97.9 and 102. I'm afraid of what it would sound like if someone did try it on the FM. If someone picked up the format, you'd probably hear Whodini rotated 5 times a day....and of course....your hourly dose of Biggy.

Well here on KNRJ Phoenix your home for Classic Hip Hop, I get to hear a lot of Positive K "I gotta man", but apparently, the top played song recently is
"back that thang up" - Juvenile, and I don't see Positive K anywhere near the top of the list, so I guess I'm just the one who happens to always catch it.

Maybe it's still too soon for the rest of the country to do classic hip hop because many rhythmics or stations that are trying their best to stay urban nationwide in 2010 are playing a lot of recurrents, and that does kind of affect any station that is true to classic hip hop only. A lot of the 1997-2004 stuff is a huge part of what would attract a classic hip hop crowd right now, so if we have rhythmics kind of taking a chunk of that in addition to currents, then... it would affect a classic hip hop station if it were in the same city. SO with that being said, I can kind of see why here in Az and somewhat L.A. are the only two places so far.

www.energyarizonafm.com

I think hot 95.7 hd2 is the best sound channel and plays the best music i have ever heard.

Just got a new ride and it has hd radio and i only listen to 95.7 hd1/2 and 94.5 hd1/2 with those 2 covering my favorite genre's i don't ned to go anywhere else and i don't even use the ipod anymore..

I just wish 95.7 hd2 had a website with a list of their most played, alot of times i don't even realize i like the song until i find myself singing it later on.

Anyways if any of you 95.7 dj's are on here you're doing a great job.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom