• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chr stations that don't play the same 40 songs over and over

And stations that play songs that were released as singles but didn’t catch on and didn’t reach the top 10.

What about Hot AC stations
Those are AC stations aimed at slightly older listeners with different playlists and a few more songs.

A lot more gold, a handful of currents
A good example is KBIG in LA. 58 currents (all in the last 8 months), 18 recurrents ( two years to 6 months old) and about 180 gold songs going back to the mid 90's. In total spins, 31% current, 8% recurrent and over 61% gold. The top spins are 80 times a week.

KIIS, a true CHR is 71% current 17% recurrent and 11% gold. They also have nearly 180 golds, but play them a lot less. There are 80 currents, and 60 recurrents. There are 5 songs over 100 weekly spins, with 3 getting over 120.

A good example is KBIG in LA. 58 currents (all in the last 8 months), 18 recurrents ( two years to 6 months old) and about 180 gold songs going back to the mid 90's. In total spins, 31% current, 8% recurrent and over 61% gold. The top spins are 80 times a week.

KIIS, a true CHR is 71% current 17% recurrent and 11% gold. They also have nearly 180 golds, but play them a lot less. There are 80 currents, and 60 recurrents. There are 5 songs over 100 weekly spins, with 3 getting over 120.
What's "gold"? Does it mean rare?

What's "gold"? Does it mean rare?
In CHR, "gold" is well-testing older songs, 18 months to a few years in age, seldom more than 4 to 5 years in markets with a Hot AC, maybe 8 years in markets without one of them.

The term comes from "golden oldies", a 60's term for older big hits. Now, we just call it "gold" in the industry.

In CHR, "gold" is well-testing older songs, 18 months to a few years in age, seldom more than 4 to 5 years in markets with a Hot AC, maybe 8 years in markets without one of them.

The term comes from "golden oldies", a 60's term for older big hits. Now, we just call it "gold" in the industry.
Why can "gold" in the current-heavy country format be anywhere from 2 to 20+ years old, while CHR can't go back even 10 years for its "gold"?

Why can "gold" in the current-heavy country format be anywhere from 2 to 20+ years old, while CHR can't go back even 10 years for its "gold"?
The range is different by owner and market, but the whole idea of CHR is to play currents and a few older songs that are very much in line with currents.

Through the mid-60's... meaning nearly a decade and a half after the format began... Top 40 stations played just that: 40 songs. It was not until the mid-60s when some Top 40 stations added a bit of gold. And it tended to be from the last few years then. And it tended to be mostly songs that fit the type of currents that the station was playing.

Part of this is the fact that Top 40 stations (CHR is just a substitute term created by R&R magazine to be different from Billboard) target the youngest demos who are likely to both be focused on currents and to not have emotional ties with songs that are too old.

Country programs for 25-54, and the average listener knows those decade old songs.

If they didn't play the same songs over and over they wouldn't be top 40 (CHR).
I don't know anything about their music but why are Contemporary Christian stations being called Christian CHR? There were stations that fit that description before WAY-FM changed to Praise and worship, but K-Love type stations are actually Christian AC, right?

I don't know anything about their music but why are Contemporary Christian stations being called Christian CHR? There were stations that fit that description before WAY-FM changed to Praise and worship, but K-Love type stations are actually Christian AC, right?
I would definitely say K-Love is more Christian A/C and "Gold", even more so before K-Love "Classics" was launched in 2018. Meanwhile, I feel like Air1 is definitely more CHR, playing a limited selection of newer Christian songs. Way-FM is more like K-Love in the sense that their playlists often go back to the early 2010's, where IMO, CCM started to get good. I think independent Christian Contemporaries probably are just a mix (my thoughts are KSLT Rapid City and WCSG Grand Rapids as examples)

Correct. I think WAY-FM is, or at least was, more Christian CHR.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom