• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chicago Radio Ratings: March 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 3/2/2023 thru Wed. 3/29/2023, age 6+ overall:

or RadioOnline Chicago Ratings March 2023

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:

25-54: 1. WLIT 2. WOJO 3. WTMX 4. WUSN 5. WBMX 6T. WLS-FM (up from #11) 6T. WXRT (down from #3) 8. WDRV (down from #4)
18-34: 1. WUSN 2. WLS-FM (up from #7) 3. WOJO 4. WLIT 5. WKSC 6. WBMX 7. WDRV (down from #2)
18-49: 1. WOJO 2. WLIT 3. WUSN 4. WBMX 5. WLS-FM (up from #12) 6. WXRT 7T. WKSC 7T. WDRV (down from #3)

Nice to see WLS-FM make a nice comeback.

And solid numbers for WBMX - the station where there’s still a thread going about them changing formats 🤣 and 96.3 is catching up to 100.3! 😂

Side note - it appears Rock 95.5 had a novelty bump for a while, but they’re just getting around a 2 share these days 6+. Better than 96.3, 100.3, and the other general bottom dwellers, but I don’t expect iHeart to do anything other than maybe tweak the music. 95.5 has been a problem child for the cluster since they (understandably) flipped WNUA, nothing seems to work and stick.

Nice to see WLS-FM make a nice comeback.

And solid numbers for WBMX - the station where there’s still a thread going about them changing formats 🤣 and 96.3 is catching up to 100.3! 😂

Side note - it appears Rock 95.5 had a novelty bump for a while, but they’re just getting around a 2 share these days 6+. Better than 96.3, 100.3, and the other general bottom dwellers, but I don’t expect iHeart to do anything other than maybe tweak the music. 95.5 has been a problem child for the cluster since they (understandably) flipped WNUA, nothing seems to work and stick.
No adjustment to the WLS-FM playlist that I've noticed, so it seems like the listeners WDRV had within 18-54 simply made the switch for whatever reason. Nice to see, nonetheless.

I know billing is more important than rating and that WBMX isn't the strongest biller based on what has been posted here, but with numbers in the sales demos like this, I doubt they will be flipping format anytime soon.

I haven’t seen it mentioned much, but US99 has been crushing it recently. I don’t follow the station closely, but it seems like the combination of a) having the format to themselves, b) finally getting the right personnel in mornings, and c) weakening pop competition has benefited them. Did some of that younger end come from The Mix?

I know B96 is a more entrenched and sellable brand than 104.3 Jams, but with WBMX posting strong demo rankers and even outcuming WBBM-F this month… if Audacy is indeed serious about placing The Score on an FM frequency, I’m starting to wonder if they’re better off flipping 96.3 and leaving 104.3 alone entirely.

No adjustment to the WLS-FM playlist that I've noticed, so it seems like the listeners WDRV had within 18-54 simply made the switch for whatever reason. Nice to see, nonetheless.

I know billing is more important than rating and that WBMX isn't the strongest biller based on what has been posted here, but with numbers in the sales demos like this, I doubt they will be flipping format anytime soon.
Yeah, it’s definitely sort of an odd book. I prefer WLS-FM’s approach to classic hits vs its Audacy counterparts in top markets.

I see nothing changing at either WBMX or WBBM-FM any time soon. Both stations just got new hires, I would expect Audacy to give them time as long as the stations aren’t a financial disaster, which neither seem to be….although IMO WBBM-FM is a steep hill to climb. It’s easier to adjust WBMX and tweak/tinker with the playlist if needed than a CHR.

As far as 670, I guess there’s also the prospect of just letting the station ride out its time on AM, or at least hang out there a little longer. There are no FM sports or talk stations (not counting WBBM), and no candidates likely to flip or move. Chicago is one of the large markets where AM is a bit more (I use this word very lightly) viable than, say, Atlanta or Philadelphia.

Last edited:
Chicago is one of the large markets where AM is a bit more (I use this word very lightly) viable than, say, Atlanta or Philadelphia.
Good point. Chicago has non-directional 50 kw AMs at 670, 780, 720 and 890. All have pretty good full market coverage.

Philadelphia has a 50 kw that is directional at 1060 and the area has poorer conductivity than Chicago. It has a 50 kw non-directional up at 1210 which has relatively poor coverage.

Atlanta has on 50 kw non-directional and, although it is on 750, the conductivity there is so bad it really does not cover the metro well with today's man-made noise level.

Good point. Chicago has non-directional 50 kw AMs at 670, 780, 720 and 890. All have pretty good full market coverage.

Philadelphia has a 50 kw that is directional at 1060 and the area has poorer conductivity than Chicago. It has a 50 kw non-directional up at 1210 which has relatively poor coverage.

Atlanta has on 50 kw non-directional and, although it is on 750, the conductivity there is so bad it really does not cover the metro well with today's man-made noise level.
And, Chicago has a lot of content that’s only available OTA (without HD) on AM since 670, 720, 890, 1000, and others do not simulcast on FM. Somewhat similar to LA other than KNX, Houston, etc.

I think the key to the success of those remaining AM only stations is the simple fact that they are 50,000 watts non-directional day and night. Chicago is a prime example of that. I think it’s unfortunate that certain cities west of the Mississippi didn’t get more (or even one) 50,000 watt non-directional stations like Phoenix, Houston, LA, Seattle, Denver, etc… Some of those cities have at least one, but LA, for the size it is, should have 4 like Chicago, but they only have two. Those two do well, even the AM only KFI. Phoenix and Houston have none, Denver has one with KOA, Salt Lake City has one with KSL.

But, with the current state of AM radio, the only remaining successful big market AM stations are 50,000 watt non-directional. It’s too late now, but it’s unfortunate that more wasn’t done in the past to allocate more clear channel stations to the West Coast (as opposed to say having WHAM in comparatively speaking smaller Rochester, New York). LA was already the 5th largest city in the 1940 census, 4th largest city in the country as of the 1950 census and the third largest city in the 1960 census, but they only got 2. Oh well!

But, with the current state of AM radio, the only remaining successful big market AM stations are 50,000 watt non-directional. It’s too late now, but it’s unfortunate that more wasn’t done in the past to allocate more clear channel stations to the West Coast (as opposed to say having WHAM in comparatively speaking smaller Rochester, New York). LA was already the 5th largest city in the 1940 census, 4th largest city in the country as of the 1950 census and the third largest city in the 1960 census, but they only got 2. Oh well!
But the formerly-called 1-A clears (alone on the channel, 50 kw non-directional or directional only if they wanted it (WBZ, WWL) were authorized after the Federal Radio Commission reorganized everything in the late 20's... the 50 kw guys started appearing at the turn of the decades and were all in place well before 1940.

And the LA metro are was much smaller than some other metros... San Francisco was bigger and the networks only later "moved south". Phoenix was a railroad crossing in 1930 when air conditioning had not made it livable.

Remember, the clear channels, 1-A and 1-B were not assigned to specific cities. It was because applicants got claims on them in a "first in line" order.

But the formerly-called 1-A clears (alone on the channel, 50 kw non-directional or directional only if they wanted it (WBZ, WWL) were authorized after the Federal Radio Commission reorganized everything in the late 20's... the 50 kw guys started appearing at the turn of the decades and were all in place well before 1940.

And the LA metro are was much smaller than some other metros... San Francisco was bigger and the networks only later "moved south". Phoenix was a railroad crossing in 1930 when air conditioning had not made it livable.

Remember, the clear channels, 1-A and 1-B were not assigned to specific cities. It was because applicants got claims on them in a "first in line" order.
David, why did WTAM/WWWE 1100 go directional for a while? Was it to protect adjacent channels such as WERB...WCAR 1090 and CKJD 1110, from another tower site, or to concentrate signal over Cleveland? Why did they move and why did they move back?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom