• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Charlotte Ratings Updated 03/22/23

Off topic but I wish WFNZ had not picked 92.7. I live in Cleveland County and it interferes with 92.5 WESC despite the fact I’m in the Charlotte DMA. I’m on the western edge of the market.

Radio and tv markets are different.

Radio market map:

View attachment 4563

TV market map:

View attachment 4564
It looks like Cleveland County ought to be in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson radio market because I get 92.5 better than 96.9 and 92.7 in the car and that map suggests that too. It is sticking out like a sore thumb.

It looks like Cleveland County ought to be in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson radio market because I get 92.5 better than 96.9 and 92.7 in the car and that map suggests that too. It is sticking out like a sore thumb.
Yeah I don't know Nielsen comes up with the market boundaries. It's weird that Cleveland is considered part of the Charlotte radio market, but Catawba is not. It's also very strange that Fayetteville is considered part of the Raleigh-Durham TV market.

106.5 has bad signal degradation to the south/southwest, more than 104.7 supposedly has (although I have not had any issues with 104.7 in their market). I guess they should move to 96.1? </sarcasm>
They did move their tower closer to Charlotte but I guess there was only so much they could do. When they first moved to Charlotte, the old tower location gave them good coverage of Winston-Salem and most of Greensboro. A small college station in Greensboro was at 106.3 but moved to 103.1 so it could boost its signal.

I have a question for someone. I used to be able to see the WRFX tower when going to visit my grandparents, then it was moved close to Charlotte, but there's no tower now. Seems like WEND could have used the old WRFX tower, a few miles south of the one they built.

Yeah I don't know Nielsen comes up with the market boundaries. It's weird that Cleveland is considered part of the Charlotte radio market, but Catawba is not. It's also very strange that Fayetteville is considered part of the Raleigh-Durham TV market.
What market would they be in? Before digital TV, WECT covered Fayetteville but it was the only big three affiliate in the area.

What market would they be in? Before digital TV, WECT covered Fayetteville but it was the only big three affiliate in the area.
I think Fayetteville should be its own market, the same as it is with radio. The TV markets are too big in my opinion. For Charlotte to go all the way from the border with Virginia to Chesterfield County SC is crazy.

106.5 can’t move much further south due to spacing and interference issues, not tower availability. When I lived in Rock Hill in the early 2010s, I could only pick up 106.5 in the car. My stereo system in my house picked up nothing but static. It’s crazy that they’re the second highest rated iHeart signal this month.

106.5 can’t move much further south due to spacing and interference issues, not tower availability. When I lived in Rock Hill in the early 2010s, I could only pick up 106.5 in the car. My stereo system in my house picked up nothing but static. It’s crazy that they’re the second highest rated iHeart signal this month.
I’m assuming 106.5 has to protect adjacent 106.7/WTCB in Orangeburg and 106.3/WSPA-FM (well, it will be in a few hours) in Greenville? The former is Cumulus and the latter is Audacy, so unlike other moves iHeart couldn’t do anything if they wanted to.

Asheville should be its own TV market. I can’t get WLOS OTA in Greenville but from what I’ve seen they don’t acknowledge SC exists, just like the SC stations don’t acknowledge much of WNC outside of Tryon or sometimes Hendersonville.

I didn't mean they could have used a tower farther south, because like you said, they had their reasons. I'm saying the tower was there. Why not leave it?

It is weird that just a few miles west of some of the TV and radio towers, Cherokee County is in a different market.
Yes the Charlotte radio and TV signals that broadcast from Gaston County provide a very strong signal in Cherokee County and also reach Spartanburg County. There are tall towers in Dallas, NC and also on Crowder's Mountain.

The bottom line is WKQC and WNKS are not swapping formats. Period.

WNKS has been current based top 40 since the mid 90s and WKQC has been some form of gold based top 40 station since the early 80s. WNKS was not playing 80s/90s 10 years ago.
WKQC was a long way from top 40 in the 80s. What they did in 1989 might be called hot AC.

In the early 90s they tried the 70s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom