• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Charlie Pallilo out at ESPN 97.5

Charlie Pallilo has been given the boot from KFNC: Sports talk radio host Charlie Pallilo parts ways with 97.5 FM

Replacement has been announced: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...7-5-houston-middays-as-charlie-pallilo-exits/

Looks like Gow Media is shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic again, as they had revamped the lineup only six months ago. KFNC has long been the dog among the local sportstalkers, despite being the only one on FM. A lousy signal on 97.5 plus the shady operation of the 92.5 translator hasn't helped.

Once again, memo to David Gow: Get on the phone to Alfred Liggins and see what it would cost to pry KROI away from Radio One. It would be a major signal improvement, and you might want to get ahold of 92.1 before one of your AM sportstalk competitors does, or the station winds up with one of the national religious broadcasters.

Charlie Pallilo has been given the boot from KFNC: Sports talk radio host Charlie Pallilo parts ways with 97.5 FM

Replacement has been announced: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...7-5-houston-middays-as-charlie-pallilo-exits/

Looks like Gow Media is shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic again, as they had revamped the lineup only six months ago. KFNC has long been the dog among the local sportstalkers, despite being the only one on FM. A lousy signal on 97.5 plus the shady operation of the 92.5 translator hasn't helped.

Once again, memo to David Gow: Get on the phone to Alfred Liggins and see what it would cost to pry KROI away from Radio One. It would be a major signal improvement, and you might want to get ahold of 92.1 before one of your AM sportstalk competitors does, or the station winds up with one of the national religious broadcasters.

I am not sure the shady operation of 92.5 has really hurt them.... the average listener doesnt know or care whats going on behind the curtain and however 92.5 is operating now, the listeners assume thats what its supposed to be.. and what listeners THINK and if they can hear it is all that matters. They dont care how it happens

We agree that KROI's signal is terrible and that Houston desperately needs at least one sports station on a decent FM signal, but do you really think Gow has the ability to buy 92.1? Even if U1 is willing to let it go at current market prices? I would be very surprised if the debt from 1560 and 97.5 has been retired and those combined were in the 12-13 million range if I recall.

We agree that KROI's signal is terrible and that Houston desperately needs at least one sports station on a decent FM signal, but do you really think Gow has the ability to buy 92.1? Even if U1 is willing to let it go at current market prices? I would be very surprised if the debt from 1560 and 97.5 has been retired and those combined were in the 12-13 million range if I recall.

Well, to even begin to answer that question.. we need to know what the people are paying to lease 1560? they own 1480 in Dallas as well.

It’s too bad someone didn’t pair up Rich Lord and Charlie Pallilo when they had a chance, like they were at KTRH back in the day.

KROI does not have a terrible signal i think you meant KFNC

You are correct. KROI is mostly decent. KFNC is very poor.
If iHeart or Audacy get ahold of KROI and move/simulcast their SportsTalker on 92.1, then ESPN 97.5 is going to be complete toast. This should be a major concern for David Gow if he is serious about staying in radio for the long term.

I suspect the future of Gow Media is that the various *****Map websites as well as the national SportsMap radio will probably be gobbled up by a larger media conglomerate while 97.5 is spun off to who-knows-what. Someone like VCY America would probably grab the signal…I suspect EMF is too smart to want that turkey.

KROI is roughly around par with KGLK and KOVE-FM in terms of signal after the upgrade, it would be a huge upgrade over KFNC for the Sports format and could definitely help boost the numbers a bit.

Because Charlie made a noise about 92.5 operating legally.

Charlie Pallilo was the only show I could tolerate on KFNC. I would enjoy his commentary in national headlines. But he also had a tendency of going all in on baseball at times (I find baseball to be an absolute snoozer).

Having said that, a lot of my live listening has been replaced by sport podcasts such as Josh Pate's Late Kick on 247. When I need live commentating on developing matters, Pat McAfee is also good.

Since I’m out of the loop, why is the 92.5 station so *allegedly* shady?
Some of the reasons are it’s over powered, over modulated, and sometimes has different programming or different ads from KFNC and I’ve heard them identify as KFNC HD2 which doesn’t exist. And I’m only mentioning the broadcast 😂

It’s too bad someone didn’t pair up Rich Lord and Charlie Pallilo when they had a chance, like they were at KTRH back in the day.
SportsRadio 610 did. RIch and Charlie did afternoons for several years, until CP was lured away to be the 'anchor' talent of the newly launched ESPN790.

@SomeRadioGuy I noticed the variety of the playlist on your station. Nice job!

@SomeRadioGuy I noticed the variety of the playlist on your station. Nice job!

8 to9am ak time, 12noon to 4pm weekdays, 7 to 9pm fridays have local djs picking the music. 7 to 9pm Tuesday, 8 to 9 wednesday and a few scattered hours on the weekend are locally automated

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom