• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changing an antenna at 1500 feet

We always kept plenty of beer in the transmitter's refrigerator too.

I did a couple of turns on my destroyer's antennas in the mid-60's. Not nearly as high as these guys but if you've ever been aboard a Gearing class DD you will quickly get the heebee jeebee's when she rocks and rolls. Certain parts of my body would clamp tight to uselessness had my eyes opened to this tower. And the flat landscape makes it all the more exciting!

Having been up on a tower during an antenna replacement with a helicopter, I can tell you replacing an antenna or mounting pole with a helicopter sucks. Too many dangerous variables that can kill you. Forget the height you're working at. The antenna can swing around and kill or injure you from wind, static electricity, gyroscopic forces, or blunt trauma when a 10,000lb antenna gets away from a crew and hits the tower, or crew members trying to wrestle the antenna into position.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom