• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at KIXI

And...no listeners outside of your front lawn and no hope of advertiser support either. A pair of headphones would be simpler and cheaper.
So?

Some of us, me included, like to tinker with RF in legal ways. The magic of signals traveling through the air is what got mei nterested in radio 30 years ago.

even if no one or few others listen, its still fun.. and done for fun.

dont be a party poopin kill joy, Kelly

So?

Some of us, me included, like to tinker with RF in legal ways. The magic of signals traveling through the air is what got mei nterested in radio 30 years ago.

even if no one or few others listen, its still fun.. and done for fun.

dont be a party poopin kill joy, Kelly
At least you have a dozen or so potential listeners. I wouldn't exactly call something akin to a Mr. Microphone, doing radio.
Playing radio? Maybe.

Get an old Knight Kit AM transmitter and a 45 rpm record changer. Load it up, take your transistor radio with you and ride your bike around town... that's what I did... when I was 14. Certainly not as an adult.

At least you have a dozen or so potential listeners. I wouldn't exactly call something akin to a Mr. Microphone, doing radio.
Playing radio? Maybe.

So, sometimes thats all it takes to satisfy the itch.. and encourage someone. RF is RF, regardless. I know how it works, but I still fidn the magic of it interesting, regardless of power

So, sometimes thats all it takes to satisfy the itch.. and encourage someone. RF is RF, regardless. I know how it works, but I still fidn the magic of it interesting, regardless of power
I'm not ordering, or shaming him to stop playing radio. Just think it's kind of unusual for an adult.
But, I think adults playing with model trains is kind of strange too.

I'm not ordering, or shaming him to stop playing radio. Just think it's kind of unusual for an adult.
With respect, who cares what you think is "kind of strange"? People love all kinds of things. The world would be deathly dull if all we did was go to work, come home, watch TV and be scared shitless that people thought we were doing anything other than being sensible adults. We're not here for long, let's do stuff that makes us happy, even if that's being a curmudgeon on a radio messageboard.

Yup. Basically, I remember when I was like 9 or 10, we had these portable wireless intercoms, and I'd spend hours playing with them, "broadcasting" the sound off the TV to another room, etc. I had lots of fun and it got me hooked on radio.

The thing is though, I never did anything with it beyond that until recently, primarily due to a lack of time, but also because I didn't think I could do it. Turns out, I actually can, so while I'm stuck at home in the midst of a life-altering pandemic, why not do something fun that doesn't involve being physically around people?

Whatever you say. I'm just trying to have some fun. If it's unusual as you say, so be it.

With respect, who cares what you think is "kind of strange"? People love all kinds of things. The world would be deathly dull if all we did was go to work, come home, watch TV and be scared shitless that people thought we were doing anything other than being sensible adults. We're not here for long, let's do stuff that makes us happy, even if that's being a curmudgeon on a radio messageboard.
I couldn't agree with you more!

Playing radio? Maybe.
Right now, I have an audience of one (myself), which is fine with me.

If anyone ever stumbles upon it (not hugely likely since it's AM, but the average age is somewhere past 60 around here, so not totally far fetched), I hope they like what they hear!

c

I always thought it would be cool to have a part 15 station, but haven't had the means to do it until recently. Of course, if I had a part 15, I'd try and make it sound as much like a radio station as possible. I've got a free automation system and could get imaging for a hundred bucks or so depending on the company I go through. The houses in my neighborhood are relatively close together, so I would think I could reach the house on either side of mine with a part 15. Heck, I got a usable wifi signal from my neighbor's yard a couple weeks ago.
Kelly, what about adults who get really excited about trampolines or inflatable amusements? Those are widely seen as children's entertainment, but outside of radio, they're what gets me really excited, and I'm not ashamed of it at all.

I got a usable wifi signal from my neighbor's yard a couple weeks ago.
Another good reason to WPS encrypt your wifi...
Kelly, what about adults who get really excited about trampolines or inflatable amusements?
Just like people who are Furry's: 9 questions about furries you were too embarrassed to ask, I'm sure there are even a hidden sector of adult society who like to bounce on trampolines, or nude in inflatable bounce-houses. Everyone needs a hobby I guess, including playing DJ on a radio station that broadcasts only to themselves. Having worked for real money in the actual radio and TV business for many years, I don't get why anyone would want to, but have fun if it works for you.
Those are widely seen as children's entertainment, but outside of radio, they're what gets me really excited, and I'm not ashamed of it at all.
Maybe you should look into the Furry culture too?

I'm actually kind of shocked that I haven't picked up flack for my comment about model train collectors. Guess that went right over your collective heads.

Another good reason to WPS encrypt your wifi...

Just like people who are Furry's: 9 questions about furries you were too embarrassed to ask, I'm sure there are even a hidden sector of adult society who like to bounce on trampolines, or nude in inflatable bounce-houses. Everyone needs a hobby I guess, including playing DJ on a radio station that broadcasts only to themselves. Having worked for real money in the actual radio and TV business for many years, I don't get why anyone would want to, but have fun if it works for you.

Maybe you should look into the Furry culture too?
I'll have to look at that link, but I actually have a very, very basic understanding of furry culture because I had a friend who was quite involved. Not sure what he's up to since we had a falling out a few years ago. You're not going to get any flack from me about your model train comment, there are a lot weirder hobbies that I don't understand.

I see absolutely nothing wrong at all wanting to experiment with radio by setting up a part 15. A lot of people do it. It’s not supposed to be be professional; it’s just for fun (akin to me spending time in the garage tinkering with my car in my spare time).

Some of the radio pros may not see much value in setting up a hobby radio station because they’ve had the opportunity to play in the big leagues. After you have a chance to spend some time around a real radio station, a small hobby setup naturally isn’t going to be as interesting. But with that being said, we’re talking about something fun that a hobbyist will get enjoyment out of. The worst thing that could possibly happen is that they develop a deeper interest in the art of radio and then want to do this professionally… Even then, I still attribute my time on the professional side to be the single best thing to ever happen to me. It helped a painfully shy 18 year old kid with an interest in radio (and virtually no knowledge whatsoever) become more confident and do things I never could have done without this experience. Now I have unlimited confidence, and can take on all sorts of challenges (because nothing was harder than being told that I need to fill in for a morning show by myself and somehow make it all come together work). Of course, I failed massively… perhaps even epically… But I kept trying and got better. That experience makes everything in my life seem easy now, and my problems minuscule. My current boss at my office job asked me to give a presentation to half of the company, and I was able to absolutely nail it. I attribute that success to the growing pains of radio and having to make it work.

Last edited:
I see absolutely nothing wrong at all wanting to experiment with radio by setting up a part 15. A lot of people do it. It’s not supposed to be be professional; it’s just for fun (akin to me spending time in the garage tinkering with my car in my spare time).
I agree!

I don't have much interest at this point in doing it professionally, nor do I want to particularly be in front of the mic (ironically, I'm very mic shy. If there's a live mic in the room, I clam up hard), but I am interested in the programming and engineering aspects of it, and Part 15 offers an excellent place to get started that I wish I had discovered sooner.

c

Some of the radio pros may not see much value in setting up a hobby radio station because they’ve had the opportunity to play in the big leagues. After you have a chance to spend some time around a real radio station, a small hobby setup naturally isn’t going to be as interesting. But with that being said, we’re talking about something fun that a hobbyist will get enjoyment out of. The worst thing that could possibly happen is that they develop a deeper interest in the art of radio and then want to do this professionally… Even then, I still attribute my time on the professional side to be the single best thing to ever happen to me. It helped a painfully shy 18 year old kid with an interest in radio (and virtually no knowledge whatsoever) become more confident and do things I never could have done without this experience. Now I have unlimited confidence, and can take on all sorts of challenges (because nothing was harder than being told that I need to fill in for a morning show by myself and somehow make it all come together work). Of course, I failed massively… perhaps even epically… But I kept trying and got better. That experience makes everything in my life seem easy now, and my problems minuscule. My current boss at my office job asked me to give a presentation to half of the company, and I was able to absolutely nail it. I attribute that success to the growing pains of radio and having to make it work.

I had a hobby radio station in CT... was legal part 15, but because of my height and location, i covered a few hundred people.

I called it "neighborhood 97.1" and ran a real format with imaging... good practice for my future career! i even had a request/comment number that was local

Back
Top Bottom