• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes At Capital Public Radio

The Sacramento News & Review, along with news postings here and at other radio sites, confirm that non-commercial KXPR & KXJZ will see changes to their formats, with KXJZ becoming all public radio news/talk, and a fragment of its jazz programming moving back to where it all began in 1979 - the crappy signal at KXPR, which started at 88.9 and returned there a few years ago.

One ironic aspect of these changes: the fired former President of CPR desperately wanted all-news at 90.9 over a decade ago, and couldn't get it - now, most of his vision is reality, except there will still be an insignificant sliver of jazz muddling the Classical Station's format in the early evening.

You would think after years of underperformance and unimaginative local programming, the management would either completely kill off the jazz and not screw up KXPR anymore than its already dismal numbers - 27th in the market last I checked - would indicate. I'd jettison the jazz staff and use Bob Parlocha's service, which was at least 10 times better and certainly more listenable, between 7-11pm M-F and Sundays. And "Blue Dog Jam" & "Acid Jazz"??? THAT stays?

Strange.....

BurnedOutOnTheBoards said:
The Sacramento News & Review, along with news postings here and at other radio sites, confirm that non-commercial KXPR & KXJZ will see changes to their formats, with KXJZ becoming all public radio news/talk, and a fragment of its jazz programming moving back to where it all began in 1979 - the crappy signal at KXPR, which started at 88.9 and returned there a few years ago.

One ironic aspect of these changes: the fired former President of CPR desperately wanted all-news at 90.9 over a decade ago, and couldn't get it - now, most of his vision is reality, except there will still be an insignificant sliver of jazz muddling the Classical Station's format in the early evening.

You would think after years of underperformance and unimaginative local programming, the management would either completely kill off the jazz and not screw up KXPR anymore than its already dismal numbers - 27th in the market last I checked - would indicate. I'd jettison the jazz staff and use Bob Parlocha's service, which was at least 10 times better and certainly more listenable, between 7-11pm M-F and Sundays. And "Blue Dog Jam" & "Acid Jazz"??? THAT stays?

Strange.....

Actually, this is not surprising at all. It's a growing trend with NPR stations nationwide, particularly in the larger markets. The signal will also improve with KXPR once the transmitter move to Sloughhouse finally goes through.

It's too bad about the Classical Station inheriting the Jazz programming. It would be nice to have a third station for the Jazz.

Now KQEI is even less relevant in Sacramento as they don't have much more to offer other than a Bay Area centric version of NPR. At least they offered a news alternative in the evening to KXJZ.

Perhaps, Cap Radio will finally drop all of the "pot up-pot down" jazz music beds in their local breaks. It makes the local stations sound so bush league compared to the networks they run.

Michael Rivers Kramer said:
BurnedOutOnTheBoards said:

Strange.....

Actually, this is not surprising at all. It's a growing trend with NPR stations nationwide, particularly in the larger markets. The signal will also improve with KXPR once the transmitter move to Sloughhouse finally goes through.
except in Stockton and all points south of Sacramento. However I have heard that KUOP-91.3 will put KXPR programming on a HD-2 signal (currently there is no HD-2 signal on KUOP)

travisl5678 said:
If your in Stockton, KXSR 91.7 Groveland should come in alright
Not great but alright. KXPR -88.9 literally booms in Stockton.

MKR……..you, once again, are spot on.

Those pot-ups & downs are as bush as it gets....add the monotonous voice usually employed, and it sounds like some canned sleep aid. The guy I charge of the jazz programming always decried “college radio”, yet the imaging/marketing {what little they actually bothered to do} was closer to freshman high school level.

CPR does offer a 24/7 jazz stream at capradio.org, but that’s all…..sad news for longtime jazz radio fans – although I must admit, listening to the evening jazz on KXJZ wasn’t a very entertaining or pleasurable experience since they weeded out all the jocks with any personality years ago. It sounded voicetracked even with "live" announcers....

Things had improved a bit when the programmer finally followed the late night syndicated show’s direction and added some fresh sounds - a move I suspect was ordered by upper management. For most of the 1990’s and well into the 2000’s, the playlist was so repetitive and boring, I’m sure it wiped out lots of potential loyal listeners. Add to that a near paranoia against swing music, and there wasn’t much to listen to.

KQEI has always been a strange situation to me. It struck the fear of everything into CPR management, but its lousy signal made it difficult if not impossible to listen to. I wouldn’t be surprised a bit if KQED says to hell with it and leaves – I sure can’t see them producing a lot of fundraising out of KQEI.

Must admit I don't listen as much to CPR as I used to but didn't they put in for the KQEI frequency before KQED got it. I seem to remember, at least they were thinking of programming a third station. Even though I am in my 60's I never listen to regular radio for music anymore. Too many more attractive options for my musical fix now. Big jazz fan but sorry, I always found Gary Vercelli's voice too irritating to listen to for an extended period.

BobSacto........

I never thought Vercelli's voice all that "irritating"......it's more like "liquid Sominex"....completely devoid of personality, enthusiasm, and spirit. It is like taking boredom and squeezing the life force out of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom