• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CCM done RIGHT!

R

rbrucecarter5

Hats off to Z-88 Orlando. I finally took the iPhone plunge, and that very day drove around with Z-88's rock feed going through my car radio. Their HD-1 feed is certainly way better than our local CCM station, and they have a hip-hop feed as well. Audio quality is very good.

So how - reliable is it? I lost the feed after about 25 minutes, and suspect it was a 3G dead area. It did not recover automatically - which I think is a major issue for the new technology of streaming in cars. The only other choice is to go back to broadcast (ICK).

How much does it cost? Supposedly ATT has no megabyte fee. I'll need to be careful until my first bill. As long as the "unlimited" is truly unlimited, this should be good to go. You can get a basic iPhone for $99, but I was told I needed the $199 fir 3G. Maybe. Having a 16G iPod is OK, and there were free apps for engineering functions, so I am good. Data is $30 per month.

Other stations?

Sadly - WAY-FM's feeds are not working through Radioliscious - or other paths. The local KSBJ has an app. I tried it in case their long awaited rock feed was ready - but the app did not work. Other Christian stations are on via Radiolicious and with their own apps, the radiolicious hardly had any feeds working, and some of the other Christian stations apps did not work as well

Still - one that is almost perfect - the rock feed of Z-88 - is enough.

My wife did not opt for the iPhone to stream her oldies, but 300 mile away KVNS is reliable enough (astonishing) in Houston for regular listening. And she does not have an iPod docking port. She may inherit my satellite receiver if streaming appears to be reliable enough.

if you haven't try the Wunder Radio app... if you listen to anything on itunes download fcast and sync what stations you like with them...

cough

iPhone is amazing... I have a load of P&W on it to listen ...but I also use it to listen to my Christian CHR/Rock online station in the car... I can hold a 128k mp3 stream really well as long as I don't hit a rough 3G spot... I actually drove all around Columbus inculding downtown with very little drop outs.

I actually listened to a friends non Christian 64k AAC+ stream in FSTREAM and that held up alot better!

and yes, the 30$ Data plan is unlimited... (i think there is actually a cap if you abuse it..) but I listened quite often in my car last month and didn't use as much data as I thought I would have.)

i do the same thing while driving but will encounter dropouts... it is fstream not fcast i was looking into that one...

xmusicmatt said:
iPhone is amazing... I have a load of P&W on it to listen ...but I also use it to listen to my Christian CHR/Rock online station in the car... I can hold a 128k mp3 stream really well as long as I don't hit a rough 3G spot... I actually drove all around Columbus inculding downtown with very little drop outs.

and yes, the 30$ Data plan is unlimited... (i think there is actually a cap if you abuse it..) but I listened quite often in my car last month and didn't use as much data as I thought I would have.)

Thanks for letting me know! Of course, what is your spiritual health worth? For years, if the church down the road didn't meet your spiritual needs, you could drive to the next one. Now, you can do the same with radio. The monopoly of local radio is crushed! It will just take time for streaming to penetrate. I've already told at least a dozen kids about Z-88's rock and hip hop streams - they are ecstatic for the most part! Some were unaware that the music even existed, they thought it was some sort of spiritual law they had to settle for their grandparent's praise and worship ---

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom