• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS RADIO merges with Entercom: DFW Impact

Let's say you're Entercom. You have a high biller in La Grande. Now what do you do?

1) Keep the format and learn all you can to see if it might also bolster billing in other markets you have with a poor performer. You could care less if it's a lone wolf in your portfolio, it's just a successful moneymaker and you're really happy about that.

or

2) You know nothing about Spanish language radio and it's the only one in your portfolio. Forget how well it does, you're changing the format to something where you have expertise.

If Entercom decides they don't want any Spanish stations in their portfolio, I would choose the second option.

If Entercom decides they don't want any Spanish stations in their portfolio, I would choose the second option.

This also puts KLOL (Mega 101.1) in Houston to question about a Spanish format of any sort. KLOL has been on the air for over 10 years already and has been very successful in the market.

A company like Entercom (which doesn't actually own this station yet) deciding to ditch a successful format for one that some say can't work doesn't make a lot of sense. Then again, who says all station owners make great decisions? We'll find out in two days.

On a side note, if any station needs to die in DFW it has to be 570. Always near the bottom, put the poor thing out of its misery. Or maybe 1190, I don't think it even showed up in the book. Sad to see how hard KLIF has fallen on both of its frequencies.

Surely - somebody could make a profit on a super regional that has a 300 mile footprint in every direction, peels paint over the metroplex, and has decent nighttime coverage as well. It is a station in search of a better format.

Surely - somebody could make a profit on a super regional that has a 300 mile footprint in every direction, peels paint over the metroplex, and has decent nighttime coverage as well. It is a station in search of a better format.

The highest rated AM in town is The Ticket. It's #14. That's the only format that's really delivering for AM right now.

Note: the logo on the Facebook page changed again and still advertises 103.7 HD-2. HOWEVER...it now says "Modern Jazz"
I think we have our answer: staying put but with a slight change in music. We'll know for sure in 2 days.

I wouldn't be surprised if Entercom decides to blow up KMVK. I suggested that Entercom should blow up WLZL in Baltimore/Washington D.C. when they complete the merger.

WLZL is a deficient signal for both DC and Baltimore. It straddles both markets, without fully covering either.

Spanish language is a perfect option there... it is unlikely that there will be another Spanish language FM, and there is a lot of money targeting Hispanics in that market.

What else could you do with it?

Yes, but Entercom does not have any Spanish Language stations in their portfolio.

They will when they complete the transaction. They also have no 24 hour all news stations, but will when they close the deal.

The highest rated AM in town is The Ticket. It's #14. That's the only format that's really delivering for AM right now.

KTCK is 5th in 25-54, but it does have a simulcast on a rimshot FM, so it is not a pure AM play.

The highest rated pure AMs in 25-54 are KRLD and WBAP, tied for 26th.

Yes, but Entercom does not have any Spanish Language stations in their portfolio.

Keep in mind that Entercom got its start buying FM's when nobody wanted to be on FM and ran formats like classical and Spanish-language programming on them. Of course, it started changing those stations' formats once FM took off, and it could put the AM music stations out of business.

Entercom would not be above running Spanish-language stations if it felt like it would continue to make good money with them.

I like what I'm hearing so far. More Than anything, this is a bit of an investment in the format and a commitment that it'll be around for a while. Nice to see.

I wonder if Entercom will fix the disaster known as 103.7 Amp Radio?

So RIDICULOUSLY STUPID to dump the heritage KVIL calls from the branding. It was equally stupid to go full-throttle CHR. Cannot believe CBS left the door wide open for iHeart to flip 102.1 to AC.

Your criticism seems off base. I'm sure the decision to flip to AMP was driven by demo concerns. So, yes, KDGE does have a higher cume, but likely has poor demos. Considering how far behind they are KLTY, which, while categorized as an AC, isn't a typical one, but almost certainly draws heavily from the AC listening base, what really did KDGE gain from the flip?

To answer your question, at some point, Entercom will evaluate everything they buy from CBS, with Dallas near the top of the list, but beyond perhaps some programming tweaks, I don't see a wholesale change for KVIL. Everything, including the branding change, which incidentally, made sense since they were abandoning the prior format, was likely considered before pulling the trigger on the change. Going back to AC isn't likely in the cards.

I wonder if Entercom will fix the disaster known as 103.7 Amp Radio?

So RIDICULOUSLY STUPID to dump the heritage KVIL calls from the branding. It was equally stupid to go full-throttle CHR. Cannot believe CBS left the door wide open for iHeart to flip 102.1 to AC.

AMP Radio seems to be a well-established branding, maybe Entercom will expand the AMP Radio branding to better compete against iHeartMedia's CHR stations.

Your criticism seems off base. I'm sure the decision to flip to AMP was driven by demo concerns. So, yes, KDGE does have a higher cume, but likely has poor demos. Considering how far behind they are KLTY, which, while categorized as an AC, isn't a typical one, but almost certainly draws heavily from the AC listening base, what really did KDGE gain from the flip?

To answer your question, at some point, Entercom will evaluate everything they buy from CBS, with Dallas near the top of the list, but beyond perhaps some programming tweaks, I don't see a wholesale change for KVIL. Everything, including the branding change, which incidentally, made sense since they were abandoning the prior format, was likely considered before pulling the trigger on the change. Going back to AC isn't likely in the cards.

I'd like to see Entercom bring back alternative after KDGE's flip, with 107.5 the most likely but we'll see what happens with their idea on what they'll do with CBS's Spanish stations.

I'm pretty sure KVIL traditionally has been one of the strongest billers in the Metroplex - easily in the top ten.

As to your last question - the answer is obvious: iHeart now has a tremendous wall of Female 25-54 friendly stations (Kiss, Now, Star) and has made it very difficult for CBS to pivot KVIL back to its old format in the process.

Think about it. CBS has an OK performing classic hits station, a ho-hum adult hits stations, and a low rated CHR to present to advertisers interested in targeting women. iHeart has Kiss, Now and Star. Who do you think wins that battle?

Perhaps CBS saw an opportunity with the passing of Mr. Kraddick to siphon KHKS's audience; the bottom line is - it ain't working.

By the way, I'm not so sure I'd rush to the conclusion that KDGE "likely has poor demos."

AMP Radio seems to be a well-established branding, maybe Entercom will expand the AMP Radio branding to better compete against iHeartMedia's CHR stations.

Programmatic buying, perhaps??? The funny thing is - most of the AMP stations are lousy billers compared to their in-format competition.

Last edited:

Amp is just a name. CBS latched onto it as it was available without much difficulty in the area of service / trade marks. It's a major issue to clear marks legally in an era when a streaming station in Nome can, if the name is registered, preclude the use of that name anywhere in the US.

The brand has no inherent strength other than being simple and non-confusing. All that matters is what is done locally with the brand.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom