• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Audimax potted module

Does anyone have a schematic for the sealed, potted module in the CBS Audimax units? I have a friend that wants to restore a few for fun...

See if you can get hold of 'Texar' Glen Clark, he might know. Or either take some MEK and just melt the potting compound off one. Then measure the components you find. Likely a diode or two and some biasing resistors for them.

If you do decide to unpot a module I hope you'd share the results of what you find out.

I forgot where I read it, but there had been a discussion about the potted module and it was alleged that x-rays that an image of the CBS "eye" logo appeared on the film. I don't know if that's entirely true or just an urban legend, but it sounded good.

Bill DeFelice said:
I forgot where I read it, but there had been a discussion about the potted module and it was alleged that x-rays that an image of the CBS "eye" logo appeared on the film. I don't know if that's entirely true or just an urban legend, but it sounded good.

If that one is not an urban legend, I'd be really surprised...

Regards,
Goran Tomas

I seem to recall that the potted module in the Volumax contained zener diodes. Perhaps the same holds true for the Audimax.

If anyone comes up with any information on this module PLEASE post it. I also have one I would like to restore.

Frank- Volumax potted module is the clipper aka the Polarity Sensor.

As I understand it, Audimax III potted module enables creation of control voltage that transitions from slow platform recovery to "go and get it" fast recovery when needed, before returning to slow platform recovery when the level change has been made. Today the CBS platforming concept is part of every competent leveler, and modern processors can make dozens of interactive decisions and adjustments on the fly compared to the four decisions the Audimax III could make (fast recovery, slow recovery, gate the recovery and return gain to zero)

OKCRadioGuy- I am curious as to why the potted module would need to be restored. For Audimax, I think the 8056 nuvistor tube is the most likely unusual item that may need attention.

Thank you colonelblimp

Last edited:
Frank- Volumax potted module is the clipper aka the Polarity Sensor.

As I understand it, Audimax III potted module enables creation of control voltage that transitions from slow platform recovery to "go and get it" fast recovery when needed, before returning to slow platform recovery when the level change has been made. Today the CBS platforming concept is part of every competent leveler, and modern processors can make dozens of interactive decisions and adjustments on the fly compared to the four decisions the Audimax III could make (fast recovery, slow recovery, gate the recovery and return gain to zero)

OKCRadioGuy- I am curious as to why the potted module would need to be restored. For Audimax, I think the 8056 nuvistor tube is the most likely unusual item that may need attention.

Thank you colonelblimp
You made me recall the "zero ohm resistor" in the second generation (the first solid state ones) Audimax. I believe that the factory resistor was 2.2 k, but those wanting a faster time constant for attack and recovery would go down to a lower value... or just bridge the contacts with a lead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom