• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Catholic group to buy Toledo radio station?

If CC was interested in the WPFX frequency, they wouldn't have sold it in the first place. They weren't required to, like they had to with WBUK. I think Deacon Mike is looking at WCKY, not WTOD. They want to reach as many people as they can and they'll never do that with WTOD.

God can work miracles...no dispute there. Deacon Mike needs one to get on the air fulltime. If God wills (and CC somewhere deep down has a heart) Deacon Mike will have what is presently WCKY-FM...I hope it happens,but not hoping high for it at the moment since CKY-FM can be a big moneymaker for CC Toledo. If I was Deacon Mike I would consider it since is covers a lot of ground...much more than WTOD or WLQR.

A callsign switch would be a given when (and if) this happens since CC also has dibs on the WCKY (AM) calls in Cincy as well.

W Annunciation Radio Toledo sounds good to me if those calls aren't already taken....and by the same token it would help differentiate themselves from a Catholic network of the same name which covers the Kansas City,Denver,Wichita and Colorado Springs areas....their website is a dot org which redirects to KEXS.com)

(Don't use WTAR...those calls are used by a sports talker in Norfolk,VA)

Granted it's s bit campy...but serves the purpose...hopefully Mike might think of something better.

we have enough religious signals already! it will become another "please donate stations" which is any but christian doctrine. really, wwjd?

Granted we have WGGN,WJYM,WTGN,K-LOVE and the others....they are the pioneers...but if you listen have you noticed there is no airtime given to Catholic evangelicals?

Catholic radio is pretty much the rookie coming up to bat for the first time...EWTN being the oldest since Mother Angelica founded it in the 1970s after being inspired by the 700 Club and the now long gone PTL Club.
There is also Reedemmer Radio in Ft. Wayne,Radio Maria USA in Alexandria,LA and Ave Maria Radio up in Ann Arbor.....but no bonafide fulltime Catholic station in nothwestern Ohio.

What Would Jesus Do you ask?
He would surely say "BRING IT ON!"

I hope this doesn't bring on heated arguments but here goes...St. Peter was the first Pope.

My prayers go with Deacon Mike and his mission to bring Catholic radio to the Diocese of Toledo.

The evangelical stations are not going to give Catholics of any kind airtime because they believe Catholics are wrong and hellbound

What I'm saying is ..get th eword out...NOT... we need your money. guilt trips etc...this turns people off!! I'm glad to hear 88.7 in Anna ohio on the air.

Let me make this point....just because you have more stations on the air doesn't mean people are going to listen...they're going to want to listen on their own free will.

AugC said:
I'm glad to hear 88.7 in Anna ohio on the air.

88.7 (WHJM) doesn't reach the area north of Lima where Deacon Mike wants to reach....WHJM is currently 1,000 watts with a CP to upgrade to 2,300 watts which will better reach Lima...but it still wont get into Findlay with "new rock" CIMX from Windsor blaring in with its 100kw signal.

FredRichards said:
1470 is kind of a crappy frequency. If you move it, then you fall under all sorts of new conditions of protection to other stations, cochannel and adjacent. But the temptation is that the land on Pickle Road is getting expensive, and with the hospital to the north I could see an offer by St Charles to get the property. I question if the proposed patterns they have in their CP will cover any geographical areas that will provide a payback.

IMHO, the 1560 would have a better case to build for getting back to 5k service, as well as a nighttime service that would cover Toledo. Question is, will the costs to construct be more than they could bring in over, say, the next five years? Who knows.

Cume-less should trade 1470 to Swaggert for the 730 in BG. Construct a new 1470 down in B.G. and then move 730 to Luna Pier and shoot right over Toledo. Oh well, just a thought.

Having programmed 1560 WTOD between Jan 05 to Apr 08... i have a good idea of what Cumulus will and won't do. A CP was issued for the new transmitter site... but don't hold your breath that it will be built sooner rather than later. Cumulus is cutting back, like all broadcast media, and building a new tower site is one of them. They'll wait as long as possible.

WTOD's revenue is less than $100k annually. I was instrumental in adding brokered weekend programming that increased revenue to $100k - all brokered. But when I left so did some of the shows.... thus the NTR revenue has fallen short. If you listen to the station you'll hear a lot of "fill" or psa's.

In fact... I don't believe the new PD, WLQR's Norm Wamer, has updated any station image promos since I left back in April. It's now Dec 27th. How sad is that????

I signed "Annunciation Radio" to WTOD. I know that Deacon Learned wants an FM. Putting Annunciation Radio on WTOD was a short-term deal, one year. After one year he hoped to have raied the $$$ for an FM.

I asked about an AM....even if the price was right. He had no interest. Especially not in WTOD, a daytimer. It will always be a daytimer regardless of a new transmitter site.

Their one year is up Feb 09. Presently they've augmented from Sundays 12n-2pm to weekdays 12-1pm (so WTOD could carry WW1 NFL games).

The Toledo Catholic Diocese wants an FM. Simple as that.

Can it get one? At the price point I was quoted by them, $1 million budget, I don't think so. Unless a WPFX is considered, which is presently NOT part of the Toledo TSA.

I do know of a Class A for sale in the Toledo TSA. Solid signal. Can't tell you the calls. Sorry. If you know anyone that is serious, has financing, etc, PM me.

That's true, VoD. Nobody is going to move stations in this economy. Clearly you're looking for at least $300,000+ for construction of the 1560 plant, probably more for 1470 because of spacing/protection to Peoria, Flint, and a few others.

Since 1560 is gone from Sandusky MI, and 1550 is signing off soon in Windsor, it might be better to relicense WTOD to something like Sylvania or Maumee, and then shoot the signal north from a site around Lima City, or so. Oh well.

Still A.R. is going to have to come up with some serious jack to get a Toledo FM. There are just too many money problems with companies now, and even as cash strapped as they are, they can't let them go for peanuts.

BTW, did anyone hear what the price was for the sale of 106.3 to Findlay publishing? I heard $225,000 which seems incredible, unless C.C. just wanted to unload it.

The Canadian government will continue to "notify" 1550 in Windsor until the end of time so it will always have to be protected

gr8oldies said:
The Canadian government will continue to "notify" 1550 in Windsor until the end of time so it will always have to be protected

Something I've never understood, especially when one of the engineers at Industry Canada said that AM is of no use to the Canadian public. :(

If 1550 is the problem, then the site out by the oil yards would be good for them to notch towards Windsor.

I still think this is the likely reason why C.C. changed the COL of WCKY to Pemberville:

1 - To all them to sell to someone other than BAS, who had first refusal as long as it was licensed to Tiffin

2 - To make it more attractive to the Diocese.

If they could buy WCKY and another CC property, WDFM in Defiance, they would cover almost all of northwest Ohio.

Will a new year finally see Toledo Radio close on WPFX? If they do, don’t look for 107-7 to sign back on as a North Baltimore station.

Wonder what will trigger Clear Channel to move WCKY to Toledo? Will it be when they sell Lima, or when they decide to operate it under Mr Stuart or when Diocese buys it?

Happy 2009!

Radiobum said:
Will a new year finally see Toledo Radio close on WPFX? If they do, don’t look for 107-7 to sign back on as a North Baltimore station.

Wonder what will trigger Clear Channel to move WCKY to Toledo? Will it be when they sell Lima, or when they decide to operate it under Mr Stuart or when Diocese buys it?

Happy 2009!

In all sincerity I hope that Deacon Mike may get a shot at the WCKY-FM frequency..but keep in mind that Clear Channel wants money up front if they decide to sell. I doubt CC will sell but miracles can and do happen.

(so what's with this Windsor frequency being discussed..how about some more info..and if that freqnency will be available in Toledo if the Windsor station goes dark.)

By the way, its Deacon Mike and volunteers which run the Annunciation Radio venture...not the Diocese of Toledo.

Same thing goes for Radio Maria's signals in the Miami Valley..Cincy Archdiocese does not own it..neither does the Columbus diocese for Saint Gabriel Radio..it's all volunteers responding to the Pope's call for the new evangelization.

Limp73 said:
(so what's with this Windsor frequency being discussed..how about some more info..and if that freqnency will be available in Toledo if the Windsor station goes dark.)

It's 1550 AM, the long-time home of CBC Radio 1's Windsor outlet, CBE.

The CBC had received approval for an FM simulcast in Windsor as a supplement to CBE's continued broadcasting on 1550.

Then, a month or two or so ago, they filed with the CRTC to dump 1550, and replace it with an FM signal in Windsor and one down in Leamington.

It's all at this Wikipedia article (usual "truckload of salt" Wikipedia accuracy warnings aside, but I think this is how it went):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBE_(AM)

But as noted here, it means nothing for any U.S. station hoping to upgrade, including 1560/Toledo (assuming that ever happens, see earlier message by Chuck) and 1540 over here in Cleveland (which is trying to upgrade within the current parameters, and has to consider CBE).

Canadian authorities continue to list and "notify" dark AM stations, and are not expected to give up that notification at any time.

Stations like the CBC outlet CBA/1070 Moncton NB have been dark for months now, with no expected replacement, but the frequency is effectively "held" by Canada TFN.

Sadly the same applies for 710 Leamington, 1110 Sarnia, 1570 St Thomas, etc.

It would be nice for Industry Canada to release those frequencies if they have no intention to use them, but I guess they are good "bargaining chips" in future negotiations.

Yes it would...I also remember CBC Radio in the 1980s using AM frequencies as low power translators in communities along the Trans Canada Highway and similar routes that were miles away from any small or medium sized municipality...those low power signals faded out the moment you left that little town or junction..especially in Northwestern Ontario...way up in the woods past Kenora up towards Red Lake...there was NOTHING...except for CBC's signal out of Winnipeg and a low power translator or two....but if that's all they use AMs for anymore along with the silent frequencies......then perhaps they should let them go and let US have em eh!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom