• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Casey Kasem on the Radio

Who here Listen to Casey Kasem on the Radio in the 80's?

And what Station he was on in your local area

I think KXXX or KIOI aired AT40 for me

In the 80's? Casey started AT40 in the early 70's. We ran his show on 54/WGTO, Cypress Gardens, Florida.

Sad news, although not unexpected: Casey Kasem has died. He passed away at 3:25 AM June 15, 2014, in the Washington hospital where he had spent the past two weeks. His children -- Kerri, Mike and Julie -- posted this statement on Facebook: "Early this Father's Day morning, our dad Casey Kasem passed away surrounded by family and friends."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/15/showbiz/casey-kasem-obit/

...I first listened to American Top 40 over KFIZ/1450 Fond du Lac WI when they added the show in mid-'71, for about the next four years they ran the show at 8:00-11:00 PM Sundays. For a while in '72-'73, WCFL/1000 Chicago had an overnight run of the show from 2:00-5:00 AM Sundays (right after the late Saturday night run of Wolfman Jack's syndicated show); did WCFL ever have a daytime or evening run of the show while they had it? Afterwards, I occasionally caught it when it aired over WLS/890 Chicago, but that wasn't until around the time ABC bought out Watermark Productions...

WMC-FM (FM100) in Memphis
I will add in the rural west TN stations, at least the ones that I know about:

WASL-FM in Dyersburg, TN, then known as "Dyersburg 100" (probably to avoid confusion with FM-100)
WENK-AM, and later KF-99 FM (WWKF), in Union City, TN

Also remember hearing WCMT (undoubtedly the AM station) in Martin, TN, mentioned in a recent retro AT40 episode, but I don't recall ever hearing it there, but then again, this was an early '70s AT40 program.

KRBE 104.1 Houston. Did the Top 100 countdown of 1994. I recorded it on a Maxell MX 110 tape.
Also was heard on Power 93 KITY, and Star 93 KSRR San Antonio on Sunday mornings back in 1991.

I will add in the rural west TN stations, at least the ones that I know about:

WASL-FM in Dyersburg, TN, then known as "Dyersburg 100" (probably to avoid confusion with FM-100)
WENK-AM, and later KF-99 FM (WWKF), in Union City, TN

Also remember hearing WCMT (undoubtedly the AM station) in Martin, TN, mentioned in a recent retro AT40 episode, but I don't recall ever hearing it there, but then again, this was an early '70s AT40 program.

Now that you mentioned it I do recall WASL carrying AT40, possibly in the 80's, although they switched to Rick Dees later.

Now that you mentioned it I do recall WASL carrying AT40, possibly in the 80's, although they switched to Rick Dees later.
KF-99 carried Dees and Kasem simultaneously, along with Countdown America, hosted by John Leader, and later by Dick Clark. Yes, that's right, THREE countdown programs on one station. Countdown America was later discontinued, but I believe that KF-99 still carries both Seacrest and Dees every weekend. I will have to take a look at their website to verify if that is still the case.

I'm enough of an "old timer" to remember The Casey Kasem "Program" at KRLA (AM), in the 1960s, prior to AT 40. Every other jock used "show" as a suffix, as in "the Bob Eubanks Show"...or whatever, but Casey's was always a "program." Casey was the weekend and fill in guy. On Sunday, his format was basically AT 40 - he'd count down the hits (Cashbox magazine, not Billboard), and tell his stories.

When AT40 premiered, KRLA ran it in the same Sunday afternoon time-slot for a number of years - not sure which stations in LA carried AT40 after that, or in the 80s- KIIS-FM would probably be a good bet.

In Knoxville, AT-40 with Casey Kasem aired on WNOX-990 AM from it's inception in July 1970 until April 1982, when WNOX switched from a Top-40 format to Country. A week or so after WNOX format change, AT-40 was picked up by WOKI-FM 100 for the remainder of the 80s. Sometime in the early 90s, WOKI changed from a TOP-40 format to several different formats, so I'm not really sure who the Top-40 station in Knoxville was at the time or who aired AT-40.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom