• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can you help identify some of these stations from the 1980s?

WPLZ "Magic" was 99.3 in Petersburg, Va. (now WKJS). I think "Easy 104 FM" may be WYAV, Myrtle Beach, S.C., pre-1884 when they were WLAT-FM, Conway, S.C. "Kiss 96" which mentions a jazz festival in Hampton, Va., is the former WKSV, Cape Charles, Va., now known as WROX, Exmore, Va. "96-X". Thanks for capturing and sharing this material...great stuff!!

I thought I posted here but WLAT-FM was not Easy 104 at the time this recording was done. Charleston did have an easy listening station at 104 but I don't remember its name. Charlotte also had an EZ-104 which was soft rock starting in December 1982.

I believe the "Kiss 96" on this aircheck refers to CHR/Urban WQKS, 96.5 FM that was located in Williamsburg, Virginia. I think this station existed from the autumn of 1982 until the spring of 1985. It became B/EZ WQSF, Soft 96 and then Oldies WDCK, The Duck. At some point the tower was moved from Williamsburg closer to Richmond, making 96.5 solely a Richmond station that can barely be heard on the Peninsula. I think they play Classic Rock now.
I'm pretty sure the "Kiss 96" to which RadioDaze refers arrived in 1988 and focused heavily on dance and Latin Freestyle. It lasted about six months.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom