• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CAN YOU HEAR 670 THE Q 30kW VEGAS TAHOE PRESCOTT PROVO PHOENIX ?

If this one gets out during the day, it'll be a Vegas first. Driving north on 95 from Vegas, all the AM's die an early death compared to the average ground conductivity here in the Ohio Valley where we hear 50KW non-directionals perhaps 250 miles during the day (which pales in comparison to the North Dakota region where 5KW at the low end of the dial easily trumps 50KW in this region). If memory serves me correctly, 100 miles up 95 and the entire AM dial is blank during the day. In the mid 90's when I checked, the FM dial was equally blank. I might have had better reception driving on the moon. If this one gets out more than 100 air miles in any direction during the day, I'd be pretty surprised.

BobOnTheJob said:
If this one gets out during the day, it'll be a Vegas first. Driving north on 95 from Vegas, all the AM's die an early death compared to the average ground conductivity here in the Ohio Valley where we hear 50KW non-directionals perhaps 250 miles during the day (which pales in comparison to the North Dakota region where 5KW at the low end of the dial easily trumps 50KW in this region). If memory serves me correctly, 100 miles up 95 and the entire AM dial is blank during the day. In the mid 90's when I checked, the FM dial was equally blank. I might have had better reception driving on the moon. If this one gets out more than 100 air miles in any direction during the day, I'd be pretty surprised.

I first tuned into AM 670 at the intersection of SR-266 and 95 coming into Vegas. The signal was loud and clear, that's about 150 miles NE of the Tx site. It was much, much stronger than KDWN. KXNT was unlistenable, of course, as they protect an 840 in the central valley.

670 is a directional signal w/ 4 towers. Correction: 30kW, not 35kW They protect Citadel's KBOI 670 Boise among many others.

4 Towers said:
30kW day, can anyone hear it in Tahoe, Prescott, Lk Havasu, Provo, Phoenix?

Not heard in Phoenix. I'd be surprised if it makes it very far southeast of Kingman (which is about 100 miles SE of Vegas).

4 Towers said:
HUGE signal from this NEW ROCK station - Great ground conductivity in Southern NV and vicinity
30kW day, can anyone hear it in Tahoe, Prescott, Lk Havasu, Provo, Phoenix?

At my place on the edge of Prescott (to the east) no signal inside the house, DX quality in the car, disappears in more noisy commercial areas. And the conductivity deecreases to the SE around Kingman.

[/quote]the .0005 mV/m contour covers MOST of NV, AZ, UT, and 2/3rds of CA[/quote]

In urbanized areas, a 5 mV/m signal at a minimum is needed to get listening... in big cities it can be 10 mV/m or higher. In rural areas, around 3 to 5 mV/m is needed... the days of a 0.5 contour being relevant are long gone.

The useful coverage of a station (where any ratings are registered) is slightly inside the innermost red contour on Radio Locator.

4 Towers said:
KXNT was unlistenable, of course, as they protect an 840 in the central valley.

670 is a directional signal w/ 4 towers. Correction: 30kW, not 35kW They protect Citadel's KBOI 670 Boise among many others.

Why would KXNT be required to protect the CA station? KXNT has been around for a while while the CA station just moved there from 860 a year or so ago.

From Orange County, I have yet to pick up 670 the Q thanks to 1) KIRN being on and 2) KFI's IBOC hashhhhhhhh. I've tried in the car just before Vegas sunset time.

Can't hear it in Jerome, AZ 38 miles from David Eduardo's Prescott. The mighty 660 - KTNN Window Rock, AZ shoves it aside. On that note 660 comes in clearly during the day in the cars and in the house, probably around 230 miles from Jerome.

670 KBOI used to come in strong here but seems to have disappeared a number of years ago.

Rickity

rickityone said:
670 KBOI used to come in strong here but seems to have disappeared a number of years ago.

KBOI cut out the south lobe out of their night pattern about 10 years ago. They used to come in like a local in Phoenix in the morning. I believe KLTT Denver came on the air after KBOI changed their pattern. They're the dominant station in Phoenix on 670 now.

rickityone said:
Can't hear it in Jerome, AZ 38 miles from David Eduardo's Prescott. The mighty 660 - KTNN Window Rock, AZ shoves it aside. On that note 660 comes in clearly during the day in the cars and in the house, probably around 230 miles from Jerome.

Rickity

Yeah, KTNN makes Prescott pretty well. At night, it just may be the strongest AM on the dial!

Do you live in Jerome? I can think of nothing cooler than spending time there! Must be an interesting DX location, as the "highly metallic" hillside would block low angle skywave from quite a few directions.

[/quote]

Yeah, KTNN makes Prescott pretty well. At night, it just may be the strongest AM on the dial!

Do you live in Jerome? I can think of nothing cooler than spending time there! Must be an interesting DX location, as the "highly metallic" hillside would block low angle skywave from quite a few directions.
[/quote]

Yes I do live in Jerome, 36 years. DXing is good and it's fun. Jerome is fun - my neighbor and I operate a streaming/Part 15 AM Radio station which gets out pretty well on 1670 - depends on the weather, today it was very good - coming in listenable in the valley. Basically music for the neighborhood artisans, the canyon we live in gets poor fm reception.

rickity
gulchradio.com

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom