• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can Binghamton support 3 CHR's?

3 stations are now vying for listeners in the Binghamton market! Magic 101.7, Wild 104 and now Star 105.7 respectfully. This can't last forever, so who's gonna cave first?

First of all, here's what I know and heard...Magic 101.7 is Local and Live during weeekdays. Star is not. Wild I heard is only live in the mornings. If this is untrue, feel free to correct me.

Star used to be live and local...BTW.

I think Magic has a huge advantage, they will use this in their marketing to let their listeners know they are live and local.

IMO, you have be be live, I'm not saying be live 24/7. But at least during the weekday parts.

Most small markets do not have 2 CHR's, let alone 3! This is unheard of, no pun intended :)

What say you?? Why not a country station to compete with WHWK?

Ok, go!

The question is, are Magic and STAR true CHRs? Do either play Pitbull, Nicki Minaj or Wiz Khalifa? Last time I heard Magic they were a Hot A/C. Looking at STAR, they're still playing lots of 90s music like Marcy Playground and The Cure. It looks like the closest thing to Hip Hop that STAR plays is Gym Class Heroes. All I have to go on with Magic is their website which shows Kelly Clarkson and Daughtry. When all 3 are playing Drake's "The Motto", then we're talking 3-way CHR competition.

This is a CHR battle between Star and Wild AGAIN...

From my perspective there are only two CHR's in Binghamton. Magic has been fairly successful with their radio product, doing a balancing act between an at work station and a hot ac - it's delivery is by no means a CHR station anytime I've listened.

I also disagree about CHR battles; most towns now have at least two CHR's these days... sometimes it's two CHR's, a rhythmic, a an adult top top 40 and a hot ac. Plus there are plenty of towns a lot smaller than Binghamton with more than one CHR... as usual Bingo was late to the CHR dance party, but let the battle begin!

Hey it's Tejay ... No. we are not CHR.. We are Hot A/C, playing alot of the same stuff Wild and Star do, just with out the rap... The battle should be between Wild and Star ..

magicjock said:
Hey it's Tejay ... No. we are not CHR.. We are Hot A/C, playing alot of the same stuff Wild and Star do, just with out the rap... The battle should be between Wild and Star ..

Bingo! Without the rap...Advantage, Magic. Aiming for the female 25-54, I assume? Stay away from the "rapcrap", you're better off!

Star vs Wild?? Hmm...

When STAR first came on it was sharing an audience with WGRG. STAR averaged a 10 share until WGRG dropped the format and that's when STAR jumped to that 17 share and then began averaging a 14 share. Now Magic can have the Adult Top 40/Hot A/C audience all to itself. This may be the first time that 101.7 hasn't had to share an audience with another station since perhaps their Alternative Rock days.

Hip Hop as a format isn't really doing well in any market. Hot 97 ranks 17th in New York City in 6+. WPGC is 16th in the DC market. Rhythmic on the other hand is doing very well. WKTU is 4th in New York with a Dance leaning CHR. In Urban markets like New York and DC, the straight up Urban or Urban A/C stations are garnering the higher ratings while CHRs like Z100 in New York is #3 and Hot 99-5 in DC is #2. The lower ratings could also be a result of alternative music sources like iphones and internet. Urban music over the past year has also had more of a dance lean. Look at techno hits by Chris Brown, Usher and Rihanna. While Urban artists like Drake, Nicki Minaj and Trey Songz have been crossing over to pop. You don't hear pure hip hop artists like Rick Ross, Young Jeezy and DJ Khaled crossing over much anymore. Occasionally Jay-Z and Kanye will have a cross-over. It's just the current music trend. Next year it could be all Jay-Z and Kanye with an occasional Adele song.

If Binghamton were a ppm market the non-profit station would probably show up. In DC, NPR station WAMU just showed up at #1 in the market this week.

d21ofnj said:
Jon Scaptura said:
d21ofnj said:
Take a page out of this!

http://tunein.com/radio/1-Power-Hitz-Hip-Hop-s49800/

Sorry, but no need to have 2 of the same format, when a different format can be tried out.

Binghamton does not have the demographic to support Hip Hop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Binghamton#Demographics

You would be surprised how many whites listen to hip hop. Take a look at the scene on State St. friday and saturday nights.

How many of those are permanent residents? Remember that non-permanent residents (students) don't count.

That may be true, but as a mobile DJ who regularly does school dances in predominantly white schools, they love their hip hop. Look at how music has changed. Gym Class Heroes is Hot A/C. 50 year old women listen to "Empire State Of Mind" by Jay-Z. There are 20 year olds living in Binghamton that don't go to BU. But with that being said, CHR has to ride that fine line between being hip and not blowing off too many adults or clients. Plus I know for a fact how much clients have tried to control content over the years. My kids are teenagers living in Altoona. They have a CHR here but they also have their WILD 104 ap that they listen to on their phone. That demo has more choices now than ever before.

This is the most action I've seen on this board in quite some time. Good to see it come alive again.

Dan M said:
This is the most action I've seen on this board in quite some time. Good to see it come alive again.

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment! ;)

Remember though, KEEP it LIVE, LOCAL. Inform the listeners as the average listener has no idea about voice tracking. Keeping it LIVE and LOCAL is crucial! People want to connect...

Funny story, when I moved to the Cap Region in 1996, I was listening to a morning FM show and heard Todd Pettengil...I wanted to meet him. So I went to this station and asked for him, it was 10:05 am. The receptionist thought I was nuts. LOL. She says he's in NYC. She explained to me why he wasn't there...Ahhh...I had no clue then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom