• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

can 106.1 survive?

At my location near CC, I can receive 4 Spanish FM signals loud and clear, just as good as 106.1. They are 98.5 from the PST site, 99.9 from the Northeast Philly site, 104.1 from the Marlton site and 105.7 from the Camden site, plus a few HD subs and AMs, and I would imagine the further you go from the city, the more signals you can receive. Can 106.1 still grab good ratings with all this competition?

Have you looked at the ratings? From what I see Rumba is #1 Spanish Language radio. Right?

Seems like that question has been answered.
Most people don’t have access to the ratings. And even if they did, ratings aren’t indicative of profitability or sustainability.

Most people don’t have access to the ratings. And even if they did, ratings aren’t indicative of profitability or sustainability.
Actually, in most cases ratings are a very good indication of both. What is not always an indication of profitability is the data Nielsen gives away for free: the 6+ or 12+ share and cume data.

But if a station is well ranked somewhere between 18 and 54, it is likely that it ca be profitable and that the format, if well curated, can be quite sustainable.

What ratings don't indicate is the ability to be profitable of many low rated or un-rated stations. Many religious, ethnic and otherwise specialized formats that don't garner high ratings can be very profitable.

And those "free" ratings are accessible to anyone with a computer, tablet or smartphone.

If so then I don't understand the point of this thread. It's based on a false premise.

The OP is asking if the strongest Spanish language station in the market can survive, and the answer is an easy YES.

At my location near CC, I can receive 4 Spanish FM signals loud and clear, just as good as 106.1. They are 98.5 from the PST site, 99.9 from the Northeast Philly site, 104.1 from the Marlton site and 105.7 from the Camden site, plus a few HD subs and AMs, and I would imagine the further you go from the city, the more signals you can receive. Can 106.1 still grab good ratings with all this competition?
The further you go from the city, honestly, the FEWER signals you can receive.
98.5, 99.9, 104.1, and 105.7 are all small 250 watt translators. Most of them have fairly directional signals as well. While you might be able to get all of those signals in your location, in mine, just west of the city, 106.1 is the only option.
In fact, 104.1 and 98.5 are basically non-listenable within Philly city limits.
99.9 and 105.7 seem to be holding their own somewhat in the vanity ratings, but 106.1 is already beating them, and has the support of iHeartMedia behind them for promotions, sales etc.

106.1 is/will be doing just fine for a while.

The station at present won't care much outside the market, but the huge Philly 106.1 used to be quite the car radio presence up here, some 75 miles NW of Philadelphia. In fact, during tropo on Lond Island they would give WBLI fits as one of the strongest signals from PHL.
Nowadays, 106.1 near me gets chewed up by three translators from Eastern PA alone on car trips. (Fortunately for me, one such is a Hanna-FM relay signal -- my favourite station in these parts. :- )
If'n when Rumba WUMR shifts to other progrmming, that massive signal stands to be more of a factor. But right now, they've got the demo and the market they desire, all to themselves.

Can get everything but 99.9 I think with my rooftop antenna. but I'll have to check on 99.9.
I know I can easily get 98.5, 104.1 and 105.7. Just gotta make sure the antenna is pointed in the right direction!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom