• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Call her "Owner"

I don't know for a fact but I would bet that the proper antenna work was not done over the years... Probably the same 1961 built tower that was sized for 1470kHz... With ground radials sized similarly. IE Shorter than what would be most efficient for 1030. Then in '88 they just beefed up the ATU components to handle the 50kw and left the tower and ground system alone, the cheap way becaused they probably realized that would be spending a lot more money for a signal going mostly out over the ocean.

If they didn't upgrade the ground radials I would bet there isn't much left of them at this point due to the coastal climate. Just adding to the speculation already offered up on this signal.

50kw AM's in large coastal markets like LA or SF had the money to build the tower system correctly... Maybe not so much in Reedsport.

The problem with this particular station/location though, is the ground conductivity inland is horrible. 50kW that doesn't go very far. That, and the population base along the coast in that area is pretty spread out, which equates to a big power bill required to cover few potential listeners.
If KDUN were to move farther south and still cover Reedsport with 5mv/m, they might be able to decrease power while continuing decent coverage to Coos Bay. This is assuming that they could get around the NIMBYs and I don't expect it to happen.

Then in '88 they just beefed up the ATU components to handle the 50kw and left the tower and ground system alone, the cheap way becaused they probably realized that would be spending a lot more money for a signal going mostly out over the ocean.
You have to remember though, the published contours are based on the calculated efficiency of the licensed antenna system, including ground system, while taking into account the ground conductivity around the site. Any changes to the tower wavelength and ATU would require a construction permit.
If they didn't upgrade the ground radials I would bet there isn't much left of them at this point due to the coastal climate. Just adding to the speculation already offered up on this signal.
Given the crappy ground conductivity leaving the site, replacing or repairing the existing ground system might make a perceivable difference, but not any better than the field strength of the licensed coverage. Which, by the way, is nothing to crow about. At what point is throwing money at this thing going to get you any tangible results? Answer: You could throw a lot of money at it and still never see results which cover your costs in your or my lifetime. That's even more true given it's an AM station.
50kw AM's in large coastal markets like LA or SF had the money to build the tower system correctly... Maybe not so much in Reedsport.
Those stations in LA and the Bay area have also always had large populations of potential listeners around the site(s) and are blessed with better ground conductivity. This station has never had either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom