• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

cable for antenna?

P

Part15rulesdude

signal loss can happen if you have too much cable from transmitter to antenna?
I think thats what happened to my part 15 fm, signal has decreased since I had to increase cable length!!!!!!! is it possible? HELP!!!!!

> signal loss can happen if you have too much cable from
> transmitter to antenna?
> I think thats what happened to my part 15 fm, signal has
> decreased since I had to increase cable length!!!!!!! is it
> possible? HELP!!!!!
>
Definitely possible at VHF.
1. What type of coax is original run - solid plastic center insulator or foam? Also, what designation (RG-58, RG-59, RG-8X, etc.)?
2. What type of coax is new run? If solid plastic, try foam, which generally has lower loss.
3. Can you put the xmtr closer to the antenna (in a weatherproof box if needed) and run power and audio to it? You may have to use shielded cable for the audio.

> > signal loss can happen if you have too much cable from
> > transmitter to antenna?
> > I think thats what happened to my part 15 fm, signal has
> > decreased since I had to increase cable length!!!!!!! is
> it
> > possible? HELP!!!!!
> >
> Definitely possible at VHF.
> 1. What type of coax is original run - solid plastic center
> insulator or foam? Also, what designation (RG-58, RG-59,
> RG-8X, etc.)?
> 2. What type of coax is new run? If solid plastic, try
> foam, which generally has lower loss.
> 3. Can you put the xmtr closer to the antenna (in a
> weatherproof box if needed) and run power and audio to it?
> You may have to use shielded cable for the audio.
>
Its RG58 and no cant put trasmitter in weather proof box, and its the same kind of coax on both runs.........with a adapter in the middle to connect it...
So if thats the problem, would love to know.....

If you can afford it, use RG-8. It is a low loss cable and good for longer runs at VHF frequencies and low power levels. RG-8X is a good alternative if you can't use RG-8. Buy the best you can afford.

> Its RG58 and no cant put trasmitter in weather proof box,
> and its the same kind of coax on both runs.........with a
> adapter in the middle to connect it...
> So if thats the problem, would love to know.....
>
<P ID="signature">______________
Frank
East Hill Radio

Moderator, Community Radio USA, Seattle</P>

> If you can afford it, use RG-8. It is a low loss cable and
> good for longer runs at VHF frequencies and low power
> levels. RG-8X is a good alternative if you can't use RG-8.
> Buy the best you can afford.
>
> > Its RG58 and no cant put trasmitter in weather proof box,
> > and its the same kind of coax on both runs.........with a
> > adapter in the middle to connect it...
> > So if thats the problem, would love to know.....
> >
>

If you are going to buy new cable, get Belden 9913. Accept no substitutes. Until you get into some very expensive 1/2" foam coax cable, it is probably your best choice. It's more or less RG-8 size, but lower loss. If I recall correctly (and I may not) it's less than 3db loss per 100 feet at 100 MHz. RG-58 has a lot more loss than that. ( I think it's about 10-12 db per 100 feet at 100 MHz, depending on manufacturer.)

You also mentioned that you have a connector mid-way. That's not a good idea. I don't know what type connector you are using, but some of those "splices" can cost you 2-3 db as well. Keep in mind that a 3 db loss means that your signal is half of what it was.

You also need to keep the feed line to your antenna as short as possible. If you are running a truly Part 15 compliant transmiter through 100 feet of RG-58, You will have little or no signal left by the time it gets to the antenna because of line loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom