• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Broadcast Licensing Question

Kind of basic question here. You apply for a license, get a CP, build out the facility and test it. You tell the FCC you are ready to go. FCC grants you a license. How much time after the grant do you have to actually start regular programming?

Kind of basic question here. You apply for a license, get a CP, build out the facility and test it. You tell the FCC you are ready to go. FCC grants you a license. How much time after the grant do you have to actually start regular programming?
Generally it's 3 years. A local translator in my area received it's grant in 2018 but didn't start airing regular programming until this year (September 2021, and it has now been consistent for two months straight).

Actually you can begin once you get the license although some hold regular broadcast hours under a construction permit once applying for the license. A construction permit is good for 3 years. If you don't apply for a license before the 3 years is up or have a very, very good reason for an extension, the frequency goes back to the FCC. I know of a LPFM station that build their station within two weeks of getting their construction permit and get the license avout two weeks after that. They went from being granted a CP to fully licensed inside 30 days. That is rare, however.

I am asking after you transition from CP to fully licensed. How long after the full license is granted do you have to get on the air. I suspect that you would want to get on as soon as possible (see the previous post) but how long can you actually wait?

I am asking after you transition from CP to fully licensed. How long after the full license is granted do you have to get on the air. I suspect that you would want to get on as soon as possible (see the previous post) but how long can you actually wait?
A station is a construction permit until built, at which point an application for license is to be filed. I've seen, some years back, a CP that operated "at variance" for several years while they tried to make a directional system work... but the station itself was licensed and the CP was for a change in the technical facility (1130 AM in Milwaukee).

I'm hoping Mr. Fybush can add something here, as I have not dealt with a brand new station in the US for many years.

A station is a construction permit until built, at which point an application for license is to be filed. I've seen, some years back, a CP that operated "at variance" for several years while they tried to make a directional system work... but the station itself was licensed and the CP was for a change in the technical facility (1130 AM in Milwaukee).

I'm hoping Mr. Fybush can add something here, as I have not dealt with a brand new station in the US for many years.
Yep, so basically you filed the license because the station is on the air, otherwise you are still on CP.

There's one big missing piece in this conversation, and that's "program test authority," which varies depending on the type of CP.

Some CPs come with automatic program test authority - once you've built your facility according to the terms of the CP, you have the authority to put it on the air immediately and begin programming. Some CPs (especially full-power FM DA operations) come with conditional PTA - you can sign on at reduced power but then have to provide documentation to the FCC (surveyors' reports in the case of FM DAs, usually) before you can get the license to cover and begin regular full-power operation. Some categories of CP come with no program test authority at all, and you have to get the license to cover before you can turn the transmitter on at all. The actual CP authorization will always indicate whether it comes with automatic PTA.

And that's not even getting into contingent applications - station X can't begin operation on a new frequency until station Y has gotten its license to cover for operation on its new frequency, for example.

In general, though, the idea here is that if a station is applying for its license to cover, that's a sworn statement to the FCC that you've built the facility according to the terms of the CP and you're ready to begin regular operation immediately (or have already done so under automatic PTA.)

So while there appears to be no time limit after getting your license, it is implied that you want to get on ASAP. If there is an issue after the license keeping you from starting operations, do you have to submit an STA immediately.

A licensed station must notify the FCC if it is off the air more than 10 days, and must request silent authority if they will be off more than 30 days. So that's an effective limit.

A licensed station must notify the FCC if it is off the air more than 10 days, and must request silent authority if they will be off more than 30 days. So that's an effective limit.
Yep, you have a maximum of three years to construct the CP and file the application for license forms. Requesting a silent station STA right after licensing a station is as popular at the FCC as someone caught peeing in the pool.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom