• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings February 2022

WROR #1

Music bounces back as WBZ FM drops to # 4
February is a notoriously dead month for sports. After the Super Bowl early in the month, there's only regular season basketball and hockey to generate any conversation, and this year, the MLB lockout eliminated any "hot stove league" talk of trades and free agent signings until March.

On the country scene, The Bull is as competitive with Country 102.5 as it's ever been in the meaningless, beauty pageant numbers we all love to discuss. (There's something wrong us, lol.) At 2.5 to WKLB's 4.1, WBWL appears to be doing exactly what iHeart intends for it to do: offer its advertisers some value in a juicy demographic.

February is a notoriously dead month for sports. After the Super Bowl early in the month, there's only regular season basketball and hockey to generate any conversation, and this year, the MLB lockout eliminated any "hot stove league" talk of trades and free agent signings until March.

On the country scene, The Bull is as competitive with Country 102.5 as it's ever been in the meaningless, beauty pageant numbers we all love to discuss. (There's something wrong us, lol.) At 2.5 to WKLB's 4.1, WBWL appears to be doing exactly what iHeart intends for it to do: offer its advertisers some value in a juicy demographic.
Great to see the two Boston AMs still in the top 10.

...and Koooonah continues to be an albatross around RKO's neck, preventing it from becoming the radio giant it rightfully is.

...and Koooonah continues to be an albatross around RKO's neck, preventing it from becoming the radio giant it rightfully is.
But but but, the phone lines are blazing, the ratings are through the roof and he'll be going national any minute now baaaaaaaaaaybeeee, honest! :ROFLMAO:😂🤣😂🤣😂

as much as we like to defecate on the Kooner Man, I'd love to see his angry white male, angry white female numbers in age ranges from say 40 to dead.

Same goes for the entire daytime lineup.

We can exclude Armstrong as that is pretty much a vanity project.... I can't believe for a moment that his business brings in enough business from the radio tie in to cover the costs of buying the air time.... but hey I could be wrong... as I frequently am.

Grace? Howie?

I know Howie sells his own ads, and the network affiliates get so many minutes an hour ( anyone have a HCRN clock for Grace or Howie?) but I love how he is having to take on snake oil salesmen and products to make bank.

I'd love to know if it is a straight cash deal or tied into calls/sales to a specific phone number or website " Use code Howie11" type of stuff.

He used to make a joke about "spackle and paste" when WRKO was controlling the ad content on his show, but he isn't doing much better.... I was sitting outside yesterday puffing on a cigar listening to Howie ( don't ask me why I should know better) when he brought on the head pitchman for the latest snake oil .... I didn't listen to see if someone did the disclaimer that it was pay for play because I went back to Amazon Music about 30 seconds into the segment

How bad is it when you are taking on that type of client , and taking gift certificates as payment for spots then selling them on your website for 50% of face value?

I am of a certain age ( old) and when I was young it was 590 WEEI, 680 WNAC then WRKO, 850 WHDH, 1030 WBZ and 1510 WMEX that were the major players. Minor league included 740 WCAS, and a couple of others not worth mentioning.

Fast forward 50, actually closer to 60 years, the only 2 AM's still considered major league would be WBZ, now doing news/talk, and a distant second being WRKO..... angry white man radio. What else can they do with WRKO but what they are doing?

Barry Armstrong isn't going to lease it, Bloomberg already leases WRCA and the translator associated with it.... Business Radio was already tried on 590 years ago and it didn't last.

The former WHDH ( WEEI AM 850) is on life support airing out of market sports that nobody is listening to.... cripes how are they paying the electric bill with that content... someone must be paying them bucks to clear ads in a top 10 market.

Progressive talk doesn't fly even in a heavily liberal market.

So what do they do with WRKO but keep flying it to the scene of the crash?

Maybe Red Apple wants a Boston affiliate?

He used to make a joke about "spackle and paste" when WRKO was controlling the ad content on his show
Never heard of it.

If you've watched his Rumble live stream during the past several days you got to see him with a Tip O'Neill red nose due to some treatment he's been having (for free, I'm sure). He got so many complaints that he ended up slathering on some makeup (spackle?) during a break, which gave him an opening to share his anecdote about coming across Kerry one time when he was wearing makeup even though he wasn't on TV.

Last edited:
you got to see him with a Tip O'Neill red nose

BLACK NOSE! To go w/ the BLACK TOE!

Seriously though, probably had some sort of skin cancer treatment. My dad has some type of ointment he has to put on his face whenever they take a basil-cell off.

Most of the ratings seem boring these days. I am waiting for some type of out of the ballpark station to appear.

Boston radio is so dull I am not going to renew my NERW subscription, nothing against the publisher, he puts out a good product, but there is no local news to report.

Most of the ratings seem boring these days. I am waiting for some type of out of the ballpark station to appear.
Barring the emergence of some exciting new musical fad that has enough mass appeal to attract advertiser-desirable listeners -- and can't easily be absorbed into an existing current-music format like CHR, AC, country or hip-hop -- I can't see that happening.

more proof Radio isn't interesting to anyone anymore,

It's interesting to the people who talk about it and contribute. You're welcome to do that any time. You don't need format changes or people getting fired for radio to be interesting. There are ways to report on radio that is interesting but isn't news. In other words, one thing Fybush does is visit stations, does pictorials on their tower sites, and that kind of thing. So go ahead...tell us something interesting.

Boston radio is so dull I am not going to renew my NERW subscription, nothing against the publisher, he puts out a good product, but there is no local news to report.
Scott Fybush is really on top of his game! I would have subscribed myself, however the rates that he was requesting, was just too much money for me!

Also, I miss Dean Johnson from when he was writing for The Boston Herald as well.

It isn't about the money... cripes his full rate "individual" subscription is less than a buck a week...

OK I've changed my mind I'll renew, a years subscription is less than what I spend on cigars in a week

The late Dean Johnson did it right for the Herald

Clea Simon for the Globe .... not so much

It isn't about the money... cripes his full rate "individual" subscription is less than a buck a week...

OK I've changed my mind I'll renew, a years subscription is less than what I spend on cigars in a week

The late Dean Johnson did it right for the Herald
Well, good for you! Not everybody has $60 at their disposal to spend on a subscription!

And yes, Dean Johnson DID have regular column min the Boston Herald about Boston Radio. Either you forgot, did not know that he wrote for them, or are clueless to the fact that he did instead!

He used to make a joke about "spackle and paste" when WRKO was controlling the ad content on his show, but he isn't doing much better.... I was sitting outside yesterday puffing on a cigar listening to Howie ( don't ask me why I should know better) when he brought on the head pitchman for the latest snake oil .... I didn't listen to see if someone did the disclaimer that it was pay for play because I went back to Amazon Music about 30 seconds into the segment
I stopped listening to Howie about 2 1/2 months ago, Kuhner about 10 years ago and I'm not interested in listening to Grace. I remember the phrase "spackle and paste" but don't recall what is was about. Does Howie and Grace come as a package deal to advertisers? Meaning, when "submit" aka "the mailroom manager" approaches potential advertisers does she tell them that they have to advertise on both shows? Does Howie pre-approve everything Grace talks about on her show, afterall, she is part of the HCRN. How much free stuff does Grace get, if any?? We all know Howie is a cheap b@stard, his words, he doesn't do anything for free, always looking to get something for nothing, I'm wondering if he passed that down to Grace or if when the mailroom manager gets advertisers, part of the deal is free stuff for everyone. IIRC when Howie used to do a segment back in the day on Kuhner's show, Cooksey would leave "payment" for Howie's appearance in his mailbox. There were times when Cooksey would say out loud to Howie (and everyone else), 'the tickets' (or whatever) are in your mailbox.

Haven't heard too much of Howie lately.
The spackle bit was a series of ads about a
product to cleanse the body of impurities
"that stay there like 15 to 20 pounds of spackle or paste"

Haven't heard too much of Howie lately.
The spackle bit was a series of ads about a
product to cleanse the body of impurities
"that stay there like 15 to 20 pounds of spackle or paste"
I still see the video version of those ads in the form of pre-rolls for YouTube videos. Fortunately, they are all long-form with a "skip this" opt-out after about 15 seconds, like those poor-little-girl-with-a-cleft-palate beggar ads that were a YT staple for years.

Well, good for you! Not everybody has $60 at their disposal to spend on a subscription!

And yes, Dean Johnson DID have regular column min the Boston Herald about Boston Radio. Either you forgot, did not know that he wrote for them, or are clueless to the fact that he did instead!

I remember Dean's column, it was pretty much spot on accurate and it was in the Herald, and I think I said that..... but he also wrote for the Globe at one point

Clea Simon was a frequent target on previous message boards for her total lack of knowledge on the subject. But that seems to be the norm at the Globe over the last 25 years.

Dean, post Herald did some weekend overnights at WBZ A and was a contributor up at WCAP Lowell which was close to where he lived before he died last fall suddenly.and way too young.

PS there is also a $20 option at NERW.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom