• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings December 2021

Yet in Prov:
WHJY-FMRockiHeartMedia12.213.911.310.5
A rock station beats christmas and sports with a 10.5 following Oct massive 13.9 (is that a typo?).

Even Christmas music can't break WBZ FM hold on #1

WJMN and WBGB with nice gains

WBOS goes lower
The two heritage AM stations continue their strong performance month after month. Boston listeners have chosen WBZ as the 4th more popular station with ages 12 and up and WRKO as the 8th most popular station.
Live and local radio still works in Boston!

When will Rock 92.9's programming decision makers realize the music category rotations are the biggest issue with the station, not the air staff? They can plug is as many new on-air hosts as they want; as long as the general music formula remains the same, the station will continue to be a ratings underachiever.

If 106.7 flipped earlier would they have done better ?

I agree 92.9 needs a playlist upgrade.

I think WBWL should ditch their morning show.

WZRM appears pretty stable.
Is iHeart happy with that ?
I like that station.

From RadioInsight 11/11 - 12/8 for this book.
So not only are they meaningless "beauty pageant" numbers, much of the listening they represent came before the Christmas music started. So how, exactly, is Sports Hub's "victory" over MJX real, let alone worthy of discussion?

Yet in Prov:
WHJY-FMRockiHeartMedia12.213.911.310.5
A rock station beats christmas and sports with a 10.5 following Oct massive 13.9 (is that a typo?).
People in Rhode Island LOVE 94HJY. It's just one of those things... :) They're the only major rock station left in the market with 40-year heritage. Sure, most of their day outside mornings is voicetracked (albeit locally, at least!), but nobody really seems to care.

Jacko

Indeed, they have little competition!

Ironically, option B or C for many 94HJY listeners inside the Providence market is likely fellow iHM station 100.7 from Boston.

People in Rhode Island LOVE 94HJY. It's just one of those things... :) They're the only major rock station left in the market with 40-year heritage. Sure, most of their day outside mornings is voicetracked (albeit locally, at least!), but nobody really seems to care.

Jacko
Perhaps there is something to be said for local air talent. All of 'HJY's jocks, while mostly voicetracked, have multi-decade tenure at the station. The local talent has to be part of the station's appeal. 'HJY remains one of the few entirely locally-staffed stations in iHeart's portfolio.

And yet go to the forums on here for cities with an Alt branded station, and they are all saying how Alt is performing badly. New York has rumors of all news going to WNYL. Los Angeles is asking when KROQ will be flipped, and there is a rumor from radioinsight.com about it possibly shifting to active rock. Dallas is calling for a flip of KVIL.

These are all rumors, but they are all based on low numbers. The question is how well do they bill, and would such a format bill well in Boston?

My personal take is that if you want Boston based alternative, don't look for a big company to bring it, go to Indie 617. It already exists online, and with a wide range of songs than what I would expect to be put on an FM alternative station.

Boston seems like a market that is oversaturated with Classic Rock. Between WBOS, WZLX, and WROR, there is incredible overlap. The latter two stations are not going anywhere, and WBOS has already tried Alternative. I don't know where there's room on the Boston dial for it.

Boston seems like a market that is oversaturated with Classic Rock. Between WBOS, WZLX, and WROR, there is incredible overlap. The latter two stations are not going anywhere, and WBOS has already tried Alternative. I don't know where there's room on the Boston dial for it.
Low African-American and Hispanic percentage compared to similar-sized markets, and a higher average age than many -- a formula for classic rock to thrive, at least until all the '60s through '80s warhorses start attracting too many poisonous 55+ listeners for the advertisers to remain on board.

Boston needs Audacity to flip one of their stations to Alternative. Their Alt brand is better

Really? That's not what listeners in those markets are saying.

Some in LA want Audacy to flip their alt station to sports. Meanwhile Audacy's sports station in Boston is failing.

My view is that Audacy's problem isn't the format, but rather the execution. They're losing in Boston because of bad execution.

Really? That's not what listeners in those markets are saying.

Some in LA want Audacy to flip their alt station to sports. Meanwhile Audacy's sports station in Boston is failing.

My view is that Audacy's problem isn't the format, but rather the execution. They're losing in Boston because of bad execution.
Then that's the answer! 106.7 WEEI-FM Pasadena/Los Angeles, and 93.7 KROQ Lawrence/Boston! Wait, what?!? That doesn't make any sense.

All joking aside, I find it to be one of those situations where people see a shiny object somewhere else, and want it. I did a spit take with my tea when I read the post about Audacy needing to bring the Alt brand to Boston. They had the opportunity when they flipped 103.3 from Amp to Big, and obviously decided it wasn't a smart move for Boston. As you point out, and I did in my previous post, listeners in those markets are not prasing their Alternative stations. In fact, many are demanding the stations to flip.

As for their poor execution, that was my argument about how they handled WAAF for the last half year it was on. Move the morning show to WEEI, but didn't replace it.

Low African-American and Hispanic percentage compared to similar-sized markets, and a higher average age than many -- a formula for classic rock to thrive, at least until all the '60s through '80s warhorses start attracting too many poisonous 55+ listeners for the advertisers to remain on board.
Boston's median age is 39.

Other markets in the area are:
Providence 41
Portland 44
Hartford 41
Albany 40

The South
Charlotte 38
Atlanta 37

Chicago 38
Philly 39

Denver 37
Phoenix 37

So Boston is younger than most of the nearby metros, and within a year or two of the median even in growth markets in the West and South. Age should not be a significant factor.

The point on ethnicity is very valid, though. Without Hispanic and Black influences on music, the market would have the same sort of flavor as Fargo or Grand Rapids or Utica but just bigger.

Here is a table that is a couple of years old but median age changes very slowly: Metro CBSA 2016 Demographic Economic Data Analytics -- General Demographics

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom