• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bob Edwards - One Year Later

M

mwebster

From the LA Times...
<blockquote>At long last, getting to talk the talk his way

Saying he was micromanaged at NPR's "Morning Edition," Bob Edwards says he is enjoying the freedom he has on satellite radio.

By Lynn Smith, Times Staff Writer

In his old job, management told him what to do and then demoted him after 30 years of service. But he did have 13 million loyal listeners and a pension plan.

In his new job, he is with a station that has maybe 5 million listeners and he has no pension. But he has his own show, with his name on it, and management treats him like a star.

It's been one year since Bob Edwards was abruptly shelved at National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" and subsequently decided to leave public radio, moving to XM Satellite Radio to host "The Bob Edwards Show." All things considered, he likes where he landed. "These are people who get me," he said. "And I appreciate that."

For Edwards, 58, the biggest difference between NPR and XM is "very personal." The XM management has "trusted me to do this program the way I want to do it. I have complete freedom. I'm treated like a grown-up, and it's nice. I have the total support of the CEO, Hugh Panero," who compliments him daily, he said, on the show and his choices. "I was micromanaged at NPR." ... </blockquote>
Read Full Article (Free Registration May Be Required

Wait There's More:

<blockquote>Public Radio International® and XM Satellite Radio to
Launch Bob Edwards Weekend

WASHINGTON, D.C. and MINNEAPOLIS, September 22, 2005 — XM Satellite Radio, the nation's leading satellite radio service with more than 4.4 million subscribers, and Public Radio International (PRI) today announced the launch of a new weekend interview program, Bob Edwards Weekend, to be syndicated to public radio stations in January 2006. Produced by XM and distributed by PRI, the two-hour program will feature a selection of interviews from The Bob Edwards Show, which airs weekdays exclusively on XM Satellite Radio's public radio channel, XMPR (XM Channel 133). The two-hour program will be available to PRI's 734 affiliate stations nationwide for broadcast and simulcast streaming Friday through Sunday evening. Stations will be able to air Bob Edwards Weekend anytime throughout the weekend. </blockquote>
Read Full Text of Press Release

> From the LA Times...
> At long last, getting to talk the talk his way
>
> Saying he was micromanaged at NPR's "Morning Edition," Bob
> Edwards says he is enjoying the freedom he has on satellite
> radio.
>
> By Lynn Smith, Times Staff Writer
>
> In his old job, management told him what to do and then
> demoted him after 30 years of service. But he did have 13
> million loyal listeners and a pension plan.

Well there are two sides to every story. I've heard/read versions of both sides. The thing is, "Morning Edition" was not "Bob's show." It is a product of NPR News. I've also heard from several neutral sources that Bob was stubborn on alot of ideas of expanding "Morning Edition." Mainly about it becoming more "breaking news" and updating the feeds instead of rolling over the first two hours, until 12noon ET, regardless of what was going on. In a way, he brought it on himself. The one thing that everyone does agree with was the way the dismissal of Bob Edwards was handled. NPR has admitted that shortly after he was gone.

> In his new job, he is with a station that has maybe 5
> million listeners and he has no pension. But he has his own
> show, with his name on it, and management treats him like a
> star.
>
> It's been one year since Bob Edwards was abruptly shelved at
> National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" and subsequently
> decided to leave public radio, moving to XM Satellite Radio
> to host "The Bob Edwards Show." All things considered, he
> likes where he landed. "These are people who get me," he
> said. "And I appreciate that."

Actually, it's been almost 18 months since Bob Edwards left the microphone as host of "Morning Edition." Bob's been on the air at XM for just over a year.

> For Edwards, 58, the biggest difference between NPR and XM
> is "very personal." The XM management has "trusted me to do
> this program the way I want to do it. I have complete
> freedom. I'm treated like a grown-up, and it's nice. I have
> the total support of the CEO, Hugh Panero," who compliments
> him daily, he said, on the show and his choices. "I was
> micromanaged at NPR." ...

How many more of these articles do we have to read that say the same old thing? Yeah, we know how Bob feels. Yeah, we've heard his side. Yeah, we've heard NPR's side. "The Bob Edwards' Show" is not "Morning Edition." "Morning Edition" is a newsmagazine program, just like "All Things Considered." That is NOT what the "Bob Edwards' Show" is.

In the final analysis Bob Edwards is doing what he loves to do and getting paid extremely well for doing it. How many people can say that?

<P ID="signature">______________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them".</P>

> "I know listeners are still upset," Edwards said. "I was at an event
> yesterday. They just line up to tell me they miss me."

Why do they have to miss him.
XM airs his show @ least three times daily, plus twenty four hours a day on XMRO.<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
______________</P>

> > "I know listeners are still upset," Edwards said. "I was
> at an event
> > yesterday. They just line up to tell me they miss me."
>
> Why do they have to miss him.
> XM airs his show @ least three times daily, plus twenty four
> hours a day on XMRO.
>

"They" miss him because before the public could hear him for free on NPR. Now Bob's fans have to pay a monthly fee to listen to his show on XM. And one does not get a coffee mug with their subscription to XM.
<P ID="signature">______________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them".</P>

>
> "They" miss him because before the public could hear him for
> free on NPR. Now Bob's fans have to pay a monthly fee to
> listen to his show on XM. And one does not get a coffee mug
> with their subscription to XM.
>
So then, these people who miss him so dearly who can't afford 50¢/day are probably freeloaders who never contributed to an NPR station, anyway.
I don't understand how one can cry that they miss something when they can have it for the cost of a couple of smokes. I have heard PBS and NPR referred to as subscription TV and radio on the honor system, and I buy that wholeheartedly. These whiners just want something for absolutely, positively nothing.
They can visit the XM Online store and buy their coffee mug there.<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
______________</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom