• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bluetooth announces hyper-local terrestrial broadcasting

The new Bluetooth LE Audio specifications introduces Auracast broadcast audio, which is a new one-way audio transmission to bluetooth devices that use the new LE Specifications.

https://www.bluetooth.com/blog/just...-of-le-audio-specifications-is-now-available/

Examples they give include airports, cinemas, lecture halls, conference centers, and visitor information, but it could be the new High School Radio Station, or some other type of hyperlocal broadcast in a place with a lot of pedestrians (who presumably will have the latest Bluetooth). The end user would select the audio broadcast from the list of bluetooth services available locally. Multiple transmitters are needed-- they cover 300 ft radius.

https://www.bluetooth.com/auracast/public-locations/

What makes this different from previous low power digital technologies is that it's "one-to-many", not "many one-to-one" streams. And the receiver is something that the average person may have in their pocket in a few years.

(Wasn't sure where to post this, as it's not internet streaming or LPFM, so hello, Engineering board, you're the closest match!)

they cover 300 ft radius.

Just correcting this, after doing some research. The range is limited by the FCC's rule on frequency hopping (15.247). In most cases it's 4 watts EIRP, which, in an outdoor setting using a bluetooth receiver with typical sensitivity, covers about 0.75 km (about 0.5 mile).

Just correcting this, after doing some research. The range is limited by the FCC's rule on frequency hopping (15.247). In most cases it's 4 watts EIRP, which, in an outdoor setting using a bluetooth receiver with typical sensitivity, covers about 0.75 km (about 0.5 mile).
Not exactly groundbreaking. Theme parks have been using a form of this to send music and announcements throughout various parks zones.

I'm unaware of any previous one-to-many technology that delivers digital audio to a standard smartphone.
I didn't say a smartphone. Using Bluetooth technology has been in use for assisted listening devices, wireless zoned announcements, and lots of personal devices that aren't smartphones for years. I have a Bluetooth transmitter on my Honda Goldwing motorcycle that allows me to hear the built-in entertainment using the Bluetooth transducers in my helmet.

I didn't say a smartphone. Using Bluetooth technology has been in use for assisted listening devices, wireless zoned announcements, and lots of personal devices that aren't smartphones for years. I have a Bluetooth transmitter on my Honda Goldwing motorcycle that allows me to hear the built-in entertainment using the Bluetooth transducers in my helmet.

Cool-- I'm excited to see the new one-to-many technology debut later this year. This should fix the congestion problem that the older systems would run into when they hit bandwidth limits, since it's not one-to-one like the current devices.

The new system can service an arena concert or sporting event with thousands of listeners with no return channel. I'm excited that the receiver will be a device that everyone carries in their pocket with software that will be standard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom