• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Blood Bath at the Avenue WMYR WCNZ

Zefron

Inactive
Inactive User
A friend in the Fort Myers/Naples market tells me there was a house cleaning Monday at the Avenue 1410 in FM and 1660 Naples. Everybody, save a receptionist, let go. Four managers in less than two years: Rick Vaskie, Bob Ladd, Frank Feely and Mike Peot plus 13 others since they flipped in 2009. The Sovereign City Vice president Krusinski did the firing and dumped all local programs including high school sports, Everblades hockey, Miricle baseball! Anybody know what's up?

Not surprising really. These stations cannot be possibly doing anything rating or advertising wise. In fact if you asked most of the residents of SW Florida about these stations most would probably tell you that they did not even know they existed. AM radio is all but dead in this area other than WINK/WNPL news and 770ESPN sports.

It would be nice to see someone do something creative with these stations but being this is SW Florida I don't expect that to happen.

swfl said:
Not surprising really. These stations cannot be possibly doing anything rating or advertising wise. In fact if you asked most of the residents of SW Florida about these stations most would probably tell you that they did not even know they existed. AM radio is all but dead in this area other than WINK/WNPL news and 770ESPN sports.

It would be nice to see someone do something creative with these stations but being this is SW Florida I don't expect that to happen.

Something creative?

Funny. I think The Avenue actually IS "something creative"... all of the armchair PD's on this board gripe about how "stale" and uncreative radio has become, but then, when somebody dares to try something new, they are cast aside as silly fools with unrealistic expectations. On a previous "Avenue" thread, one such genius actually suggested Scott Shannon's True Oldies as a format. Really? Now there's an original idea! Stop the presses! ??? ESPN is a great format? Why? Because it's on a computer in a closet? God forbid that someone would try to develop a sophisticated format, that doesn't appeal to the bowling alley and tractor pull crowd.

I can't imagine why Scott Krusinski would crap-can all of the local programs. It may be that "green" sales people are the problem. You can put all of the good programming on that you want, but if your AE's don't know how to sell it, then game over.

I guess you didn't listen to the station lately. Granted, it started out very clever and refined and got great reviews but for the last six to eight months it has been out of control, entirely different presentations every day, strange rotations, under filled breaks that switched back to the net in mid sentence etc.

As far as the local shows go they were all prepaid so what Krusinski did was cancell all the money making programs the sales staff sold. It appears the failure was due to poor management not the sales team

stereolane said:
I think The Avenue actually IS "something creative"...
Totally agree with you.
Creativity, to many, means what they like.
For example, I am currently listening to The Avenue ;D
It is creative AND I like it.

swfl said:

How about they just let the stations go permanently dark seeing as how the local economy cannot support so many "live and local" stations?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom