• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bill Heywood & Susan Heywood dead

Such sad and shocking news. I never met Bill Heywood, but I respected and enjoyed his work immensely during my 13 years in Phoenix.
No matter where he was or what he was doing, he always had the same professional approach. I respect Bill Heywood because he always gave listeners his best.
Words are inadequate, but I felt I needed to add mine nonetheless.

I am with my buddy Jimmy Sharpe. As the guy who replaced Bill Heywood on KFYI never a hint of bitterness. Bill was class personified and a great broadcaster

SO tragic and unbelievable.

This industry treats people horribly, especially when you get older & replaceable.

Just goes to show...you can make $$$ for 45 years on the radio...and your house can still go into foreclosure, and you can still end up with next to nothing...because sometimes when you're done in this industry...you're done...with no ability to really do anything else in life that will make you the same amount of money. And then you're over-55, and raised with a mindset that a man doesn't ask for help...so you don't.

It's so sad...my heart is so heavy today.

Prayers for the family.

Having fond memories of Bill. While visiting Joe Adams at KOY on Central Avenue, Bill came in studio to do his show. He was a most gracious gentleman. My wife, my daughter and me observed them and visited for about 30 minutes back in 1981. We were treated like welcome guests. My family's thanks to both of these professionals for the priceless memories.

So much sadness during this time of mourning...

Agree with: This is NEVER the answer.

From Diane Bonita:
ALERT! BILL HEYWOOD TRIBUTE: I've already began assembling a team of broadcasters (research and production team) to put together a 2 hour tribute to the life of Bill Heywood. We are looking at broadcasting Valley-wide (Phoenix) possibly statewide as a simulcast on Saturday, January 14, 2012 time TBA. If you've worked with Bill or a fellow broadcaster interested in helping with this project contact me at [email protected]. I will be in the Valley of the Sun to producer this entire project. Let's do something very special for Bill and Susan. They've given so much to us.

I remember that Heywood started at KTAR in the late 60s-both on 620 (KTAR was a MOR competitor to KOY before going all-news around '73) and a "youth oriented" show on channel 12

Bill was on KXIV in the mid-sixties in an afternoon drive slot. As I had just arrived in the Valley around that time I am unsure of his prior career.

A "Celebration Of Life" will be held for Susan and Bill next Saturday at 4PM at The Arizona Biltmore Hotel. All are welcome. Also, donations are being accepted in place of flowers. 100% of donations will go to the Heywood Memorial Fund and will benefit animal charities. Donations can be made through www.spiritandword.org.

Very sad. Last time something like this happened was when Duane Garret of KGO SF jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge.

KTAR will air "Bill Heywood: Behind the mic, Behind the man" Friday, January 13th from 7-9pm.

The tribute will be hosted by Pat McMahon and Preston Westmoreland and will include classic rare recordings of Bill's long radio career and memories of Bill from former colleagues.

Interesting letter Dr. A. People think that radio people can take the ups and downs, but they are people too.

MC said:
Interesting letter Dr. A. People think that radio people can take the ups and downs, but they are people too.

It was always a good idea for radio folks to have backup plans. Of course, in 2012, this applies to all career paths.

BTW, there have been 2 guys who worked for KRIZ named Tony Evans. The 60's version also worked for KDOT (now known as the Nautel-rich former Lamptimer 1440), and the 70's KRIZ incarnation who still toils admirably at Clear Channel's local cluster.

Outlaw said:
KTAR will air "Bill Heywood: Behind the mic, Behind the man" Friday, January 13th from 7-9pm.

The tribute will be hosted by Pat McMahon and Preston Westmoreland and will include classic rare recordings of Bill's long radio career and memories of Bill from former colleagues.

Wow, that's nice. I wish I wasn't in a class Friday night or I'd definitely listen. Hopefully it'll be available on KTAR's website as a podcast.

Also, will this be the first time that Preston Westmoreland has been back at the radio station since he was let go years ago?

The Bill Heywood Tribute Show is something you REALLY don't want to miss, and you'll be surprised by all of the guest of Phoenix radio past and present.

If you did miss it, I highly recommend tuning into News-Talk 92.3 KTAR (or listen online at http://www.ktar.com/) tomorrow (Saturday) from 2-4pm.

Also, Jay Lawrence's show Saturday night will have even more!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom