• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Dishes

I don't see another place on this site for this.

Years ago, before the small Dish Network and DirecTV receivers, before Sirius and XM, I read you could get big dishes for TV which could also receive audio music channels. What I remember about this was that you could have something like 8 easy listening stations. So where is that music now? Who, if anyone, distributes the collection? Does Music Choice have any of these collections?

cheffo200 said:
Music Choice only has 1 Easy Listening channel.
And it's a great one.

I'm just trying to find out where these music collections came from, and where they went. Sirius doesn't even have easy listening. They have soft oldies.

there are a handfull of music channels on Free To Air (or ku band dvb) as well as allot of foreign & niche tv channels, there is also allot still on C-band but I beleave that you need a 4dtv or digicypher reciever to recieve them. The best bet if your interested in free satellite radio & tv is to look into getting a ku band mpeg-2 (dvb) system, they are inexpencive & require a much smaller dish than the big BUD. If interested just google FTA or DVB, or I could give you more info. This is not to be confused with stealing satellite, I'm only talking about stuff on the birds that is ITC.

Steve said:
there are a handfull of music channels on Free To Air (or ku band dvb) as well as allot of foreign & niche tv channels, there is also allot still on C-band but I beleave that you need a 4dtv or digicypher reciever to recieve them. The best bet if your interested in free satellite radio & tv is to look into getting a ku band mpeg-2 (dvb) system, they are inexpencive & require a much smaller dish than the big BUD. If interested just google FTA or DVB, or I could give you more info. This is not to be confused with stealing satellite, I'm only talking about stuff on the birds that is ITC.
I'm not actually interested in spending a lot of money. I just want to know about the options, and then hopefully our methods of getting each one will change.

Actually if you DIY the job and shop around you can get a system for less than a new HD radio, I think I put my first system togather for $200.00 but they have since came out with cheeper recievers. I don't really use it for music (I listen to Sirius mostly) but there are about 30 music channels or so (they do encrypt them from time to time though). There used to be 20 or 30 canadian radio stations on there but they have since been scrambled. This is all on the KU band side, C-ban is more money becouse the big dishes are so costly (also allot harder to put togather and tune)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom