• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best Urban Stations in the country

• Thread starter iloveradio93173
  • Start date
Some of my favorites:

WBAV-FM V101.9 Charlotte
WVEE V103 Atlanta
WWDM 101.3 The Big DM Columbia
WBLS 107.5 New York
WHUR 96.3 DC
KJLH 102.3 LA

mr.ric said:
Nate Wesley said:
CalebC said:
This is an interesting thread. ;D ;D

I'm glad you think so despite it being the LAZIEST of board topics.

"Hey Urban board regulars, let's all shout out some random radio stations!" Accomplishes the same thing.

Do you have any ideas then?
There can always be a thread on what we think are the "least favorite/worst/poorly programmed urban stations".

mr.ric said:

One of my ideals would include not wasting everyone's time, unlike this tired thread topic.

Nate Wesley said:
mr.ric said:

One of my ideals would include not wasting everyone's time, unlike this tired thread topic.

The opposite of acknowledgement is omission...something that is not occurring especially considering this topic supposedly a waste of everybody's time...

If you don't like this topic, don't comment. Problem solved.

Urban's
KKDA Dallas
KMEL San Fransico
KDAY Los Angeles (They started adding some new music in the mix very little but I love their Back in the Day mix weekends)

Rhythmic's
KKWD Oklahoma City
KYLD San Fransico
KGGI Riverside

Urban AC's
KBLX San Fransico
WBAV Charlotte
WAMJ Atlanta

Urban/Rhythmic Oldies
KMGV Fresno
KISQ San Fransico
WYEZ Myrtle Beach

Da Mac QC said:
If you don't like this topic, don't comment. Problem solved.

No--problem not solved. As annual Black History Months remind us, nobody ever made a difference sitting in silence...or on their hands.*

Six Three months from now, someone will try to liven up a 'dead' period on the board by drumming up this old nugget again, when they could have restarted one of several older versions of it. Further, there's little real discussion of why these are good stations.

You'd think people posting their favorites would take the time to post 1) guesses to why locals listen & like them, 2) reasons why they themselves listen & like, and 3) appropriate streaming/website links so that others might discover and/or debate #1 or #2.

Lay. Zee.

*Sit-in protests excluded

Well, why don't you start the ball rolling by posting your favorite stations and WHY, instead of whining about how stupid this topic is? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Da Mac QC said:
Well, why don't you start the ball rolling by posting your favorite stations and WHY, instead of whining about how stupid this topic is? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't start this lazy thread.

I got pushback for merely complaining about this lazy thread.

Now you want me to fix this lazy thread? :D

CalebC said:
People call me completely crazy for my pick of stations. But hey.. only human right?

Urban:
KVSP - Oklahoma City. Despite broadcasting 63 miles west of the city, they play a good blend of hip hop and have a show dedicated to local artists trying to make it big.
KPRS - Kansas City.
WGCI - Chicago. XM Satellite radio has them, probably my favorite CC urban.
WHHL - Hazelwood/St. Louis.
KJMM - Tulsa (only because it's the only one I receive OTA)

Urban AC:
KMJQ - Houston. I kinda feel like they've creeped on me lately.
KMJK - Kansas City.
KRNB - Dallas/Ft. Worth. This one is a bit iffy to me.

Rhythmic:
KDGS - Wichita. !!!!!! Favorite Rhythmic. Hands down.
KKDA - Oklahoma City. They've watered down their playlist ALOT since Cumulus got ahold of them. Still like them though.
KYLD - San Francisco.

Mytown Media's KKOY - Chanute, KS used to be very Rhythmic sounding and I wish they still were.

It's hard for me to find "good" rhythmic stations. Can you even say that anymore?
You could throw WZMX and WLLD in there. CBS actually does well with these stations. They both lean Urban, though ZMX is really heavy on deep Urban. And I think I know KKOY's story: It was Rhythmic CHR when it first began as "Hot" in '09, then it changed to a dayparted Adult CHR (with an expansive playlist) and very little Rhythmic tracks at night (it would transition over at 5 AM), then transitioned back to a more Mainstream CHR by March of '11. I do wish it was back to Rhythmic, though. Surprising in a non-urban area like SEK to have a Rhythmic!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom