• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best Sounding Station in the DFW area

What is, in your opinion, the best sounding station in the DFW area ? (This is regardless of the format, this is only about how it sounds, which in some cases could be a factor of signal strength and your location... I'm in the Las Colinas area).

I do listen with an HD Radio.

I do not have a wave-form testor program, or any compression measuring program.

Just from listening with my ears, I think that 97.9 FM has the best sound of any DFW station.

I can just find no drawback to their sound.

So, based on an un-technical observation, to my ears, 97.9 sounds better than any other DFW station.

KLTY sounds good.
The QXFM network of stations northwest of Ft. Worth all sound good.

I love processing threads!
I agree, the Beat does sound very good and is the best processed station in the metroplex. The one drawback is they have very little to no agc so the levels of songs vs imaging vs spots is all over the place. I believe they are using a Vorsis processor.
Boom 94.5 also sounds good when you can get the signal well. They also suffer from the no agc issue, maybe even more so than sister KBFB.
The iHeart stations sound fine. KDMX has sounded much better lately as well as 1021. I believe most if not all iHeart stations use an Omnia.11, which is my most favorite processor on the market right now. (Both from a listening stand point and as an engineer)
Speaking of the Omnia.11 The CBS properties all sound no so great ever since a certain engineer left (who shall remain nameless) several years ago. He has some of the best ears that I have ever "heard". You know who you are.
Everyone else is just meh. Nothing too exciting.
That is all.

If everyone is using compressed audio files like mp3's, then they'll probably all sound bad. I'd want to know what the audio files are first...

R

92.1 has almost always sounded terrible. There was a brief period while they were still oldies and maybe a year into being The Possum where they sounded fantastic. Then SOMETHING changed and both KXEZ and KHYI have sounded like ass ever since. KHYI is better than it once was, but KXEZ has been so horribly neglected I'm amazed they haven't put the poor thing out of its misery and sold it.

The Possum

92.1 has almost always sounded terrible. There was a brief period while they were still oldies and maybe a year into being The Possum where they sounded fantastic. Then SOMETHING changed and both KXEZ and KHYI have sounded like ass ever since. KHYI is better than it once was, but KXEZ has been so horribly neglected I'm amazed they haven't put the poor thing out of its misery and sold it.

I visited the sales dept at KHYI and they manage 92.1. They told me they have transmitter issues and are only broadcasting in mono but should be fixed soon. I actually like the Classic Country they play. Much like 97.1 in Houston.

Dave

Someone from KHYI has posted here in the past, discussing the issues with KHYI's sound and stating he was trying to resolve them. I can't remember his name at the moment...

R

Someone from KHYI has posted here in the past, discussing the issues with KHYI's sound and stating he was trying to resolve them. I can't remember his name at the moment...

R

That was Chuck Taylor, their morning guy and iirc PD. Said something along the lines of rebuilding the old optimod and i think they did get a new or newer transmitter. KXEZ needs help. Can't wait to listen to HS football via cellphone this fall!

I visited the sales dept at KHYI and they manage 92.1. They told me they have transmitter issues and are only broadcasting in mono but should be fixed soon. I actually like the Classic Country they play. Much like 97.1 in Houston.

Dave

Nothing wrong with running in mono... if they would SHUT OFF THE STEREO PILOT. My god people, how hard is it to shutoff the stereo pilot so all your audio doesn't blast out of only the RIGHT Channel...

KXEZ is a neglected shithole of a radio station; Gutted of all its staff running completely off a damn satellite. A station that given the right owner/PD/somebody who gives a rats ass about it, could seriously serve the mostly ignored region of the Collin / Hunt county area.

I can get wanting two radio stations in the DFW metroplex, but why completely ignore one of them?! The way KXEZ is ran is totally unacceptable even for small town radio, especially one with coverage in the DFW area. Its crazy...

And uh, thats my rant of the day!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom