• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best place to get multiple markets in NJ?

Is there a place in NJ that you can get Philadelphia, New York, Atlantic City and Allentown area FMs?
I figured that place might be Toms River.
This would be with an outdoor antenna that I could use a roter.
Thanks,
John

I'm thinking Princeton because of its location. According to Radio-Locator, one can pick up FM stations of both New York and Philadelphia. However, I have never listened to the radio during my visits to Princeton, so I don't know for sure.

West Milford, NJ and Northern Sussex County you can get NYC and Hudson Valley Stations. Clinton NJ you can get NYC stations and Lehigh Valley stations.

I’d say anywhere in Mercer county. A directional antenna there could get all four markets. At least, all the full powers. Wouldn’t be able to get the translators, LPFMs, and pirate stations

Interesting topic which leads me to ask where does CBS-FM end and B101.1 begin along the coast? Looking at a map my guess is somewhere between Asbury Park and Tom’s River but I don’t know for sure.

Interesting topic which leads me to ask where does CBS-FM end and B101.1 begin along the coast? Looking at a map my guess is somewhere between Asbury Park and Tom’s River but I don’t know for sure.
Good question. I regularly take the Amtrak from new york penn to trenton, and bring my Tecsun 990 along with me. From my experience, once you reach South Brunswick, WCBS becomes the majority owner of 101.1, with WBEB breaking in less and less often. Once you reach New Brunswick, WCBS is almost completely clear. Vice versa, once you get south of Princeton Junction, WBEB is heard almost the whole time. Once in trenton, WCBS is gone.

Would love to learn more about how these two stations are even allowed to share the same frequency.

Same with Z100 and WRNB and how WJRZ is on 100.1 and clearly (with pun intended) interfers with them (another pun intended)

South of Exit 100, both signals are in the fringe zone and go back and forth for about 30 miles. I usually get WCBS uninterrupted from Exit 100 and North, except a little interference near PNC. I'm guessing B101 puts a moderate signal between Exits 67 and through the Atlantic City area?

At night and especially in the summer, the Driscoll bridge at mile marker 127, right after the bridge north, you go under an overpass and a perfectly clear CBS Fm briefly becomes a perfectly clear B 101.1. that's less than 15 miles from Empire!
The turnpike around Princeton is a mess of mish mosh on 100.3 and 101.1, though heading towards New York Z100 breaks through before CBS Fm does. Also, KTU somehow is listenable when you are right next to WPRB, yet on the parkway, Z100 cannot break through WJRZ until you get far enough away around mile marker 92.

They all are on same Empire rig, but 92.3, 97.1 and 106.7 do best with the least interference.

Is there a place in NJ that you can get Philadelphia, New York, Atlantic City and Allentown area FMs?
I figured that place might be Toms River.
This would be with an outdoor antenna that I could use a roter.
Thanks,
John
The Allentown and Atlantic City will be your challenge. Expect most answers to talk about NYC vs Philly

One city where its possible at times to get all the markets in the area (NYC, PHL, ACY, LHV) is near Allentown NJ area (Upper Freehold Twp / Millstone Twp / Roosevelt), about 60-70 miles from all those.

Last edited:
It depends on the stations from the markets. It's definitely possible to hear 99.9 The Hawk and SOJO 104.9 along NYC/Philly in many different areas, especially in the Trenton area. 100.7 and 104.1 from LHV are limited with translators throughout Central/South Jersey

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom