• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

best jocks ever

AARGH,
Mr Radioman,

YOU spelled his name, Daddy O'Daily

Proper spelling is, "Daddio Daylie."
PS
Daddio died February 6th, 2003 in Chicago

Thanks

No doubt Dan Ingram is #1. He communicated to the listener and the listener was able to grab hold and along with the music, slick jingles and a great format, WABC was the top Top 40 station ever. There have been some great ones along with WFIL, WLS, KRTH and others, but none better than WABC.
For DJs after Ingram, Cousin Brucie, Dick Biondi, John 'Records' Landecker, Rick Shaw, Robert W. Morgan, George Michael, Bob Lewis and countless others.
And everyone listed by others definitely belong on the list.

dieruff said:
No doubt Dan Ingram is #1. He communicated to the listener and the listener was able to grab hold and along with the music, slick jingles and a great format, WABC was the top Top 40 station ever. There have been some great ones along with WFIL, WLS, KRTH and others, but none better than WABC.
For DJs after Ingram, Cousin Brucie, Dick Biondi, John 'Records' Landecker, Rick Shaw, Robert W. Morgan, George Michael, Bob Lewis and countless others.
And everyone listed by others definitely belong on the list.

Bob "Bobalu" Lewis was a terrific jock in the 60s on WABC. Probably the original rapper.

KlunkLetter said:
Has Wolfman Jack been mentioned?

Amazingly, no; not even by TheFonz. Even Bob Smith has not been mentioned. Guess everyone was worried about having a certain Guess Who song bantered about. LOL

I'd like to nominate a guy we put on the air during my college radio days in Iowa. John Carson. Iowa farmboy. Nice guy, but with absolutely zero in common with his namesake. We put him on Friday nights 8-11....graveyard shift while everyone was out carousing.

John did have one good....if not original...idea. A countdown show. Billboard top 10. Unfortunately, his not-so-good idea was that John began the countdown with number one and worked his way down.

'And now....the moment you've been waiting for. Here it is! This week's number ten song!!!!"

(It was so ridiculous....along with his wooden delivery....that nobody ever said anything to him).

cyberdad said:
I'd like to nominate a guy we put on the air during my college radio days in Iowa. John Carson. Iowa farmboy. Nice guy, but with absolutely zero in common with his namesake. We put him on Friday nights 8-11....graveyard shift while everyone was out carousing.

John did have one good....if not original...idea. A countdown show. Billboard top 10. Unfortunately, his not-so-good idea was that John began the countdown with number one and worked his way down.

'And now....the moment you've been waiting for. Here it is! This week's number ten song!!!!"

(It was so ridiculous....along with his wooden delivery....that nobody ever said anything to him).

ROTFLMAO!!

TheFonz said:
cyberdad said:
And a few others from our local area (Chicago-Milwaukee)

Connie Sczerzen (sp?)
Gary Gears
Bob Barry (WOKY)
Eddie Doucette (WRIT)
Mort Crowley
Roy Leonard
Yvonne Daniels
Barney Pip
Franklyn McCormick
Mike Rapchak
And for those old enough to remember............... Chuck Dunaway. Chuck brought early R&B/Rock & Roll to Milwaukee in 1955, first on WRIT and later on WMIL. Chuck was truly Milwaukee's version of Alan Freed.

Chuck wrote a book and posted it online at http://www.firststrategy.com/chuckdunaway60.htm His Milwaukee years are covered in episodes 10, 11, & 12.

Looking over the best jocks ever forum, I noticed quite a few names that I grew up with , such as Woo Woo Ginsberg, Jefferson Kaye, Dick Summer, but there were many more, actually too many to mention, but I will.....Dave Maynard, Mel Miller, Dan Donovan, Martin Ross of WPTR(Albany), when radio was radio, and so many more great sounds of the 50's and early 60's. Some stations claim to play the real oldies, but alot of the jocks can't even relate to the 50's because some of them are too young. The old guys are too old and some are gone. The whole sound is gone. WKBW had wild and professional jocks, and when it went all talk, that sound went down to alot of people. There are many good dj's out there, but having been on the air in the Boston area, I can honestly say, that radio is for the 20-30 year olds, as far as music goes. 40-90 years as far as talk goes. Larry Glick, Gene Burns(now in San Francisco), Bob Rawley, Fred Lang, Jerry Williams to name a few were great. They weren't considered jocks, when you think of it, how many jocks worth talking about are really out there. Times have changed. Radio is not friendly. It is a business. It always has been, but it's cold. If all you want to do is listen to music, who needs someone to sit behind the board to play cd's? A computer can do that, with one person running the whole show. When I worked on the air, radio was slowly changing. Like anything, trends change. All the old jocks are remembered, and the new ones can't hold a candle to the. If you want to talk about the best jocks ever, you have to go way back, because the few, who are lucky to be working today, are not in the league of the BEST JOCKS EVER, they are just robots, with absolutely no regard to what radio WAS, and SHOULD be today. I will admit, there ARE some radio people who remember and consider themselves fortunate to be a part of the wonderful fickle world of radio, but they are few and far between.
It comes down to what people enjoyed, and what people enjoy TODAY, but radio will NEVER be the way it was, and for all the folks, who are still with us, whether they worked in the business or not, can attest to what I am saying. Some may not agree, but most would.

mikedixon said:
Looking over the best jocks ever forum, I noticed quite a few names that I grew up with , such as Woo Woo Ginsberg, Jefferson Kaye, Dick Summer, but there were many more, actually too many to mention, but I will.....Dave Maynard, Mel Miller, Dan Donovan, Martin Ross of WPTR(Albany), when radio was radio, and so many more great sounds of the 50's and early 60's. Some stations claim to play the real oldies, but alot of the jocks can't even relate to the 50's because some of them are too young. The old guys are too old and some are gone. The whole sound is gone. WKBW had wild and professional jocks, and when it went all talk, that sound went down to alot of people. There are many good dj's out there, but having been on the air in the Boston area, I can honestly say, that radio is for the 20-30 year olds, as far as music goes. 40-90 years as far as talk goes. Larry Glick, Gene Burns(now in San Francisco), Bob Rawley, Fred Lang, Jerry Williams to name a few were great. They weren't considered jocks, when you think of it, how many jocks worth talking about are really out there. Times have changed. Radio is not friendly. It is a business. It always has been, but it's cold. If all you want to do is listen to music, who needs someone to sit behind the board to play cd's? A computer can do that, with one person running the whole show. When I worked on the air, radio was slowly changing. Like anything, trends change. All the old jocks are remembered, and the new ones can't hold a candle to the. If you want to talk about the best jocks ever, you have to go way back, because the few, who are lucky to be working today, are not in the league of the BEST JOCKS EVER, they are just robots, with absolutely no regard to what radio WAS, and SHOULD be today. I will admit, there ARE some radio people who remember and consider themselves fortunate to be a part of the wonderful fickle world of radio, but they are few and far between.
It comes down to what people enjoyed, and what people enjoy TODAY, but radio will NEVER be the way it was, and for all the folks, who are still with us, whether they worked in the business or not, can attest to what I am saying. Some may not agree, but most would.

Sounds like you grew up in New England. Bruce Bradley was a good DJ also.

Please add Joe Donovan to this list. I don't know where he was during the '60s, but he was the overnight guy on WHAS in Louisville KY up until 1997 and played just about everything from the '60s. If it was ever on the Hot 100 it was fair game. In fact, he even had a special hour every night called "Odd or Obscure."

Paige Turner said:
Please add Joe Donovan to this list. I don't know where he was during the '60s, but he was the overnight guy on WHAS in Louisville KY up until 1997 and played just about everything from the '60s. If it was ever on the Hot 100 it was fair game. In fact, he even had a special hour every night called "Odd or Obscure."

Joe Donovan was great to listen to. A good all night companion.

Paige Turner said:

+1

I'm not saying Joe Donovan was the best jock ever, and I'm not saying that he's not. But anyone playing odd and obscure gets a thumbs up from me! As long as the odd and obscure sounded like it belonged in the Top 40 countdown.

Dave the Rave
www.davetherave.com

The list looks a bit East Coast. All depends on where you grew up, I guess:

Larry Lujack (KJR, WLS)
The Real Don Steele (KHJ)
Robert W. Morgan (KHJ)
Emporer Hudson (KFWB)
Chuck Browning (KFRC, KHJ)
Eric Chase (KFRC, KFI)
Bobby Ocean (KFRC)
Dr. Don Rose (WFIL, KFRC)
Charlie Van Dyke (KHJ, WLS, KFRC)

Jeez, half are dead. One could go on & on, but that's a start.

Some of the really origionals are still on the air like Dick Purtan at WOMC or "Shotgun Tom" at KRTH. KRTH, WCBS, WOMC,WOGL, and WRBQ are still "keeping the faith". I guess if they make money for CBS they will remain on the air as is. There is still a second generation of old TOP 40 jocks who came behind the truly greats and they are still on the air. Guys like JoJo Kincaid and Tom Kent did stints on traditional AM stations like WIXY and 13Q and are still working. A really good jock on a small market oldies station is "Marvelous Marv" doing mornings at WJQB 106.3. They stream online. However after Marv signs off his AM show, it's Scott Shannon the rest of the day. Scott is also a second generation Top 40 guy still working

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom