• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Beautiful Music station WGER remembered

I was in elementary school at the tail end of the peak era of the Beautiful Music format. My BM station was WJOI, 97.1 FM in Detroit (formerly WWJ-FM). The author of this thread (I believe it was he) was kind enough to send me an old WJOI jingle via Email not long ago... that took me back.

Detroit seems to have been a very fertile market for B/EZ formats in the '70s - at one point there were five such stations on the FM dial, 95.5 WLDM, 96.3 WJR-FM, 97.1 WWJ-FM, 100.3 WNIC, and 104.3 WOMC, plus at least two on the AM dial (WNIC's AM shadowcast at 1310, the former WKNR/Keener 13, and 560 WQTE). By 1984, 97.1 - which became WJOI in 1981 - was the only one left; WNIC and WOMC had moved to AC, WLDM was WCZY and an AC-evolving-to-CHR as Cozy FM (soon to become Z95.5), and WJR-FM had become "Hot Hits" CHR WHYT. With no competition, WJOI managed to capture the #1 spot in the 12+ Arbitron ratings from WJR-AM in the winter of 1984 (WJR being vulnerable at the time because of no Tigers baseball in the winter), and it may have topped the chart on at least one other occasion.

A couple of questions about WGER:
- In the Flint market, WGER was in competition with Flint's own beautiful music station, 107.9 WGMZ (which turned into AC Cars 108 WCRZ in 1984). I have heard that WGMZ actually flip-flopped between B/EZ and MOR several times. How did WGER's ratings in Flint stack up against WGMZ's? Also, wasn't 96.1 FM B/EZ (as WBCM-FM) prior to becoming WHNN (originally Top 40 "Super Win", and now Classic Hits) sometime in the '70s?
- How long did it take after the 102.5/106.3 format flip-flop in 1986 which put WIOG on 102.5 did 106.3 WGER change from B/EZ to AC?

WNEM-FM/WGER/WIOG has always been at a disadvantage signal wise in Flint compared to WGMZ/WCRZ. We're talking a good 20 dB disadvantage over many areas in central Genesee County. Despite the loss of population in Flint, the population of Genesee County as a whole (about 425,000) is about 50,000 more than it was at Flint's 1960 population peak of slightly less than 200,000. That 425,000 is mainly in the southern half of the county, further from WIOG, and terrain shielded from Detroit stations. All four solid local signals should be 1-2-3-4 in the ratings. No good excuse for less.

WNEM-FM/WGER 102.5 did fairly well, usually about the second or third overall FM station, but usually trailed WTAC, WFDF, WTRX, WKMF, and even WJR on the AM dial. Consider that until the late 1970s, there were only two commercial FMs serving Flint with a City Grade signal. Hence out of town stations did better than would be expected. When 102.5 has done really well, it has usually been due to the lack of a particular format locally at 70 dBu plus, or a badly done format locally. There has been no good excuse, just bad programming or niche programming, on 105.5 that would explain bad ratings.

WGMZ had a Hot AC/Soft Top 40/Chicken Rock format in the late 1960s, but quickly returned to Beautiful Music in 1970 when Long Island's Beck Ross Group bought the station.

In the 1960s, Jim Rockwell had a late night Jazz Show, and by the early 1970s, Cleodia Myles had a late night Urban Jazz Show on WGMZ.

WGMZ was Beautiful Music consistently from 1970 to 1984 when it became WCRZ.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom