• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BDS makes it official: WPGC now a Rhythmic reporter!

Yes folks, they moved the station from the R&B/Hip-Hop panel to the Rhythmic panel June 11th (2012). This marks a return to the Rhythmic panel since 1997.

only1moore said:
Yes folks, they moved the station from the R&B/Hip-Hop panel to the Rhythmic panel June 11th (2012). This marks a return to the Rhythmic panel since 1997.

Uh, I don't know why you are so excited. They still are heavily urban-leaning. ::) They spinning mostly the same thing sister station, WVEE, spins in high concentration along with a handful crossover songs.

What's wrong with that. BTW they sound more like a Rhythmic than Urban lately. Plus BDS made the right call by putting WPGC back in the Rhythmic panel.

only1moore said:
What's wrong with that. BTW they sound more like a Rhythmic than Urban lately. Plus BDS made the right call by putting WPGC back in the Rhythmic panel.

Uh, Washington is 26.7% black, which one of the highest concentration (only Atlanta surpasses them) of blacks of any major US radio market. The idea they will 'suddenly' become totally rhythmic is laughable at best considering blacks and Afro-Latinos are the base of their audience that kept them from falling below a 3-share. CBS isn't stupid and knows this one to be the truth. Their musical composition is the same as it was this time last year, the only thing that changed is the BDS panel listing. At the end of the day, I don't see any other rhythmic aside from Hartford sister station WZMX playing so many urban songs.

I just checked WPGC's playlist on Mediabase. It looks like they must be "AMP"-ed or something because they're also playing Maroon 5, Carly Rae Jepsen and Calvin Harris. I'm not so sure if they are moving away from the Churban model, but they must be chipping away at it bit by bit.

only1moore said:
I just checked WPGC's playlist on Mediabase. It looks like they must be "AMP"-ed or something because they're also playing Maroon 5, Carly Rae Jepsen and Calvin Harris. I'm not so sure if they are moving away from the Churban model, but they must be chipping away at it bit by bit.

They've been spinning rhythmic songs since December 2009, so these adds aren't no surprise to anyone familiar with recent trends. WPGC is trying to take on WKYS while chipping at some of Hot's audience, but their primary demographic is blacks and urban crossover listening whites and Latinos.

I don't know how much more proof we need that WPGC is just frontin' as a rhythmic for billing and PPM when they still want to be urban at its core.

http://wpgc.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/miguel-blackstreet-join-for-sisters-only-on-nov-3/

They are still doing "For Sisters Only" and the entire setup, musical line-up, seminars, and relationship panels are aimed primarily at black females (very similar to urban sisters WVEE and WPEG/WBAV). They are going hard after WKYS, and the young end of the WMMJ, WHUR audience with this event. It is becoming obvious they are just spinning the handful of crossover songs to pull in major ad buys and sustain itself in PPM, but reality they know whom is their core audience, 18-49 year old blacks.

The jig is up, Jason Kidd and Angelique Alston needs to just program WPGC back to its pre-shifted self with the full-service urban contemporary feel along these few crossover pop hits. I doubt many will notice the shift except the urban music listeners, whom miss the contemporary R&B/soul from the regular rotation. KPRS and KMEL threw in the towel and just went back to business as usual.

Kilamanjero- Do you really know about radio? Do you have a clue? WPGC is beating WKYS in the ratings in a big way. Why would they want to go back to a format that they were loosing in when it came to ratings....Face if you don't know what the DC audience really wants.

fatlady said:
Kilamanjero- Do you really know about radio? Do you have a clue? WPGC is beating WKYS in the ratings in a big way. Why would they want to go back to a format that they were loosing in when it came to ratings....Face if you don't know what the DC audience really wants.

No, the real question is do you have a clue about radio at all? WPGC still losing now to WKYS when it comes to ratings. ::)

The only thing they are beating WKYS are with overall ad dollars. In the most recent book, WPGC is behind them in mornings at #11 along with 6+ overall. It still doesn't change what they are doing with FSO, other station events, and musical programming.

Oh yeah, nice try at trying to be s condescending a--hole but try again...

kilamanjero said:
fatlady said:

No, the real question is do you have a clue about radio at all? WPGC still losing now to WKYS when it comes to ratings. ::)

The only thing they are beating WKYS are with overall ad dollars. In the most recent book, WPGC is behind them in mornings at #11 along with 6+ overall. It still doesn't change what they are doing with FSO, other station events, and musical programming.

I was not even going to comment on this but it seems that PGC and KYS go back and forth as far as who wins month to month in the 6plus and 12plus demos. WPGC seems to be trending ahead again for october. The ad dollars however are the real number to look at its like WPGC 19 million vs WKYS 10 million so thats not even close. Also WPGC has gone from 18th to 16th with Tigger in mornings to 9th to 11th with Pablo so its better.

donta1974 said:
kilamanjero said:
fatlady said:

I was not even going to comment on this but it seems that PGC and KYS go back and forth as far as who wins month to month in the 6plus and 12plus demos. WPGC seems to be trending ahead again for october. The ad dollars however are the real number to look at its like WPGC 19 million vs WKYS 10 million so thats not even close. Also WPGC has gone from 18th to 16th with Tigger in mornings to 9th to 11th with Pablo so its better.

I truly appreciate your constructive input, donta1974. Personality-wise, Pablo is a very good choice because Tigger was never a good fit as the "morning drive guy" (even with his short stint with Power 105.1 proven that to be true). He probably should have just stayed in the afternoons, where he seemed to be in his element.

My input was just pointing out aside from the 2-3 crossover pop songs per hour, WPGC still has blacks (particularly black females) as their core audience. Their events like FSO even reflects this. I'm enthused they are still bringing in the big bucks, and cannot be mad at them. However, they shouldn't fear their obvious urban-lean and its well-known heritage, instead just fully embrace it. WKYS cannot truly compete against a station that will spin a hit crossover song next to core BDS R&B/hip-hop single or against WPGC's wide-variety musical library of R&B and classic soul slow jams during "the Koolout".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom